older Trix coach

Started by Jonathan Clapp, June 09, 2011, 09:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lesmond

Ah Lawrence, you're a bad man.. could be a very interesting time if we ever meet in person  ;D ;D
Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

matt-b

whos the girl in the santas outfit  ;) lol

:NGaugeForum:

Jonathan Clapp

Quote from: michael on June 09, 2011, 07:50:37 PM
my pics not as interesting to look at but...

looks great ! I'll try to make mine that good.
what paint did you use?
and the roof - black or dark grey?

Jonathan Clapp

completed cleaning and applied a coast of medium gray acrylic primer.

it looks pretty nice. Previous owner had painted the chassis dark green for some reason.

michael

hi

the roof is a standard black. I painted most of the sides yellow,then put some 1mm masking tape down the side before spraying with a railmatch wcrc red.

I could understand the body being green(southern regoin) but the chassis! no idea, whatever you have done to it, it looks nicley weathered now, especially comparied to my shiny chassis!

lesmond

That looks like a different coach now, shows what a mess can be made with a coat of paint, as well as how much difference a bit (a lot) of care can make.

Don't know why anyone would paint the chassis green, though.
Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

Jonathan Clapp

ok, I'm still keen on that West Coast Rail crimson lake scheme, but I've just had another notion.
I'll admit I'm a bit infatuated with this NGF forum right now,  :beers:
so I might have to make this:
:Carriage: 

michael

if you look around hard enough, you will find minitrix coaches in those colours. probably cost a bit though as there quite hard to find now!

EtchedPixels

If you are looking at doing a custom decal for that anyway it might be easierto spray the coach cream and then make decals for the entire lower side and top band, as you can't print white with a normal printer but you can use clear decal sheet on a whiteish background to get the right result.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Jonathan Clapp

Quote from: EtchedPixels on June 11, 2011, 07:54:31 PM
If you are looking at doing a custom decal for that anyway it might be easier to spray the coach cream and then make decals for the entire lower side and top band, as you can't print white with a normal printer but you can use clear decal sheet on a whiteish background to get the right result.

Ive never printed decals. but I have read that one can't print white.
so  -  like this?

(not this, Ill make a better one)

but also
what this?

should I be attempting to match the colors in this GIF, or are there genuine colors I should purchase?

Jonathan Clapp

Quote from: michael on June 11, 2011, 07:33:19 PM
if you look around hard enough,
::)
what can be done over the interwebs, I assure you , I am doing .
So far, I found ezactly one,  in blue and cream, in Australia,  that has already been bid up over $15 - WTF?

I am no longer hoping to make a formation of these -  just a tricky novelty piece out of this one.
If I ever want Mk I coaching stock,  Ill buy new Farish ones.

michael

just consulting my home made bible on all things model railway and as for the colours for crimson cream livery you want the following,

crimson: - Phoenix P116 coach crimson (gloss)

cream: - Phoenix P117 Coach cream (gloss)

roof: - Phoenix P131 BR Roof grey

number decels :- HMRS sheet 14

this is taken from "model rail" magazine so the decel sheet is probably for oo gauge. Model rail sadly has habit of ignoring n gauge modellers!

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Jonathan Clapp on June 11, 2011, 09:04:58 PM
If you are looking at doing a custom decal for that anyway it might be easier to spray the coach cream and then make decals for the entire lower side and top band, as you can't print white with a normal printer but you can use clear decal sheet on a whiteish background to get the right result.

so  -  like this?

but also
what this?

should I be attempting to match the colors in this GIF, or are there genuine colors I should purchase?

I was thinking print a decal for the entire lower part of the side to go over the cream or creamish colour for the rest rather than try and match it up.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Jonathan Clapp

Quote from: EtchedPixels on June 11, 2011, 09:52:36 PM
Quote from: Jonathan Clapp on June 11, 2011, 09:04:58 PM

so  -  like this?

but also
what this?

I was thinking print a decal for the entire lower part of the side to go over the cream or creamish colour for the rest rather than try and match it up.

yes , I understand,  that's how I tried to render it,  a red stripe the full length of the car with the lettering in white,
the white will actually print as transparent, is that right? so that if I have painted the lower half white,or 'coach cream' that will show through the letters?

Ill look into the Phoenix colors, thx Michael.

michael

no probs mate.

As described above, your best bet is to paint the lower half white and do one big red transfer for the bottom with transparent letters. The letters will be so small that you may get away with just painting the whole thing coach cream and having the letters as cream.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations