The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevL

Not angry, just a bit miffed.
Yesterday my Lidls (Silvercrest Cocoon 8410) phone went t/u after about 25 years.  The corded wall hung base unit will not "talk" to the remote handset. and it seems to have developed amnesia. So I need a new phone, fair enough, and it owes me nothing. Problem is, I've spent all afternoon trying to get an equivalent replacement. Must be a wall hung base unit and there's the rub, none that I can find of these modern home phones are wall hung.  If I had any hair, I would be pulling it out. :confused2:
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

TrevL

Cheers, Trev.

themadhippy

QuoteYesterday my Lidls (Silvercrest Cocoon 8410) phone went t/u after about 25 years.  The corded wall hung base unit will not "talk" to the remote handset. and it seems to have developed amnesia.
have you tryed turning it off and on again? unplug the power, phone line and batterys,leave it half an hour and reconnect,also worth changing the battery in the  remote unit.check the base unit and remote for a reset button,also try and find if theres a factory reset procedure
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

TrevL

All sorted.  Tried the old unplug trick, and while it was, checked the voltage out of the AC adapter, zilch!
Had a root round the train shed and found a multi voltage adapter lurking under the bench. Connected it up to the phone set at 6v, hey presto, phone is back to normal, memory restored and it's talking to the remote handset again.   
Must complain to Lidls that their AC adapter only lasted 25 years :D
Cheers, Trev.

dannyboy

Quote from: TrevL on June 28, 2019, 08:35:28 PM

Must complain to Lidls that their AC adapter only lasted 25 years

They don't make things to last do they?  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest311

"have you tryed turning it off and on again? unplug the power,"

also known as re-boot.
worked on the vending machines next to the security office when they played up at night / weekend  :)

talisman56

Quote from: class37025 on June 29, 2019, 10:05:28 AM

also known as re-boot.
worked on the vending machines next to the security office when they played up at night / weekend  :)

Was that the power-off trick or application of an item of footwear, size 9?

---

"Turn it off and back on again"

Step 1 in the Microsoft 'Debugging Windows for Dummies' book...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

guest311

Quote from: talisman56 on June 29, 2019, 04:24:55 PM
Quote from: class37025 on June 29, 2019, 10:05:28 AM

also known as re-boot.

Was that the power-off trick or application of an item of footwear, size 9?

either is probably as effective  >:D

---

"Turn it off and back on again"

Step 1 in the Microsoft 'Debugging Windows for Dummies' book...

Skyline2uk

All the above "Turn it off and turn it on again" talk was doing me no good yesterday with my 6-month old PC...

Dam thing was a zombie and refused to turn on. The little LED behind the power button was on but the machine just sat there doing nothing.

This morning, having left it unplugged over night, tried again. Nada.

Then I unplugged EVERYTHING (monitor cable and speakers) and picked up the machine (not that hard, it's an Intel NUC, look it up  ;)), and plugged just the power back in.

Like Robbie Williams it rose again.

Been fine ever since.

Fingers crossed.

Skyline2uk

Malc

Quote from: Skyline2uk on June 29, 2019, 06:54:41 PM
All the above "Turn it off and turn it on again" talk was doing me no good yesterday with my 6-month old PC...

Dam thing was a zombie and refused to turn on. The little LED behind the power button was on but the machine just sat there doing nothing.

This morning, having left it unplugged over night, tried again. Nada.

Then I unplugged EVERYTHING (monitor cable and speakers) and picked up the machine (not that hard, it's an Intel NUC, look it up  ;)), and plugged just the power back in.

Like Robbie Williams it rose again.

Been fine ever since.

Fingers crossed.

Skyline2uk
It just wanted a bit of love.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Jon898

Quote from: Malc on June 30, 2019, 04:29:31 PM

It just wanted a bit of love.
[/quote]

Maybe it just prefers those new green electrons?

Skyline2uk

Whatever the cause, it's still working.

I swear I radiate something that leccy machines don't like, work laptops, printers, my PC, all go mad around me!

Skyline2uk

Lawrence

Was at the Perth show today as some of you know and was chatting (as usual) with Steve & Sarah from https://www.themodeltreeshop.co.uk/? they have become good friends over the years and those that know them know that they've not had their troubles to seek. Anyway they have invested in a new set up for shows, getting rid of the old glass counter and having vertical racks so folks can browse more easily. Giving the punters better access to view their stock has resulted in a huge increase in thefts. What the hell are modellers doing, it's a damn disgrace. Here you have a couple who have worked all the hours sent, spent years building up a business just for people like you and me, modelling enthusiasts, to rob from them. It's disgusting!  Because it is modellers nicking this stuff, it's not high value in the grand scheme of things, this is modellers nicking it and you, whoever you are, disgust me  :censored: :veryangry:

Steve also told me that all the media attention regarding the Market Deeping show getting done over by those kids has alerted the criminal community to the value of model railways and associated equipment. In fact another show recently got burgled, Digitrains and another retailer both lost about £20k of stock  :veryangry:

It's now getting to the stage where folks putting on shows will have to employ overnight security.  I came away from the show with mixed feelings because it was a great show but what the hell is our hobby turning into?

Skyline2uk

@Lawrence I agree entirely with the sentiments you express above.

It's not a new thing (though I do not dispute the idea recent events would have made it worse).

I know one fairly major retailer who won't do Warley any more due to theft.

Nothing is sacred  :(

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations