The Biggest Little Railway in the World

Started by Papyrus, January 06, 2018, 03:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

Quote from: stevewalker on January 10, 2018, 10:33:52 PM
Quote from: Skyline2uk on January 09, 2018, 01:28:59 PM
For better or worse I may end up hiding behind the sofa during the next episode....

I am sure I caught s glimps (during the aforementioned "previews"  >:() of "Silver Lady" sinking upside-down in the canal?

If that does happen (and given the awful idea of it being plonked on a small boat it might well), surely that's the end? If they simply replace the loco it's not at all in the spirit of the task and I will call time on the show.

Well, if it did go in, they might fish it out, clean it up and carry on running it - that would not only be acceptable, but would mimic real life (Tay bridge and No. 224)!

More like The Three Stooges meets The Great Egg Race!
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Graham Walters

For better or worse I may end up hiding behind the sofa during the next episode....

I am sure I caught s glimps (during the aforementioned "previews"  >:() of "Silver Lady" sinking upside-down in the canal?

If that does happen (and given the awful idea of it being plonked on a small boat it might well), surely that's the end? If they simply replace the loco it's not at all in the spirit of the task and I will call time on the show.

Well, if it did go in, they might fish it out, clean it up and carry on running it - that would not only be acceptable, but would mimic real life (Tay bridge and No. 224)!

Didn't hear them mention they had a diver in the team !
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

emjaybee

Quote from: Graham Walters on January 10, 2018, 11:36:56 PM

Didn't hear them mention they had a diver in the team !

I noticed all the minions had to wear life jackets because they were in sight of water, whilst the Celebs didn't.

I love the smell of equality in the morning!

:D
Brookline build thread:

Zogbert Splod

The whole show is so contrived.  The mention of the Great Egg Race above is exactly the right grouping for this.

But more specifically, yeah, that truss bridge was a total farce.  It would have been possible to build a suitable bridge, with much reduced deflection, with the materials and the tools available.  I wonder how much of what we saw was dictated by the director... "You have to make it look like a trussed bridge!"

I'll watch another one to see if it picks up but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.
It's a manufactured task to build a show around and, so far, doesn't have much to build on.  Shame.....

(I don't have a TV so I'll have to wait for it to appear on the 'catch up' site)
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Papyrus

I wasn't able to watch this on Sunday, so set the recorder. I finally sat down to watch it last night... well, it had recorded something for an hour but it was a complete blank, as was the Dave Attenburg programme on BBC1. Disaster! Or so I thought until I read the above reviews. Now I don't know whether to watch it on my laptop or not... Help me out chaps, is it worth it?

Cheers,

Chris

emjaybee

Well, on the one hand, if you watch it you'll understand why many are so disappointed.

On the other hand, if you don't watch it...

...no, sorry, I thought I was going somewhere with this but I've lost it.

As you were.

:-[
Brookline build thread:

daffy

In a word, no.

I'll be watching paint dry when the next episode is on. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Shropshire Lad

I'll give the next episode a go but only because a colleague of mine is one of the volunteers. It's a shame that the producers don't seem to know what they wanted it to be so it's not really a railway or engineering programme.

Skyline2uk

Just watched the 2nd episode and I thought it got a bit better to be honest.

Apart from the predicted farce with the model boat (did the owner lose bits of his model boat there?!), was more interesting.

Skyline2uk

edwin_m

According to my 13-year-old it wasn't a patch on James May.  At least they've now admitted that the real railway got half way through the Great Glen, distinctly contrary to what they implied in the title sequence. 

That viaduct across the weir is going to float away if it rains before the train gets there (which being the Highlands is quite likely).  And I agree the truss bridge looks like Bouch on a bad day.  Haven't they heard of Dexion? 

Graham Walters

Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

emjaybee

They haven't actually made a succesful crossing of the lock. They may just as well have carried it across the lock gates.

They also seem to have a fixation with ply! It's losing credibility faster than a politician that's just been elected.

I probably won't bother watching the third episode, I only watched bits of this one.

Shame. Good idea, poorly executed.
Brookline build thread:

javlinfaw7

I found it disconcerting that the engine or coach seemed to fall off every fifteen minutes

MalcolmInN

Much better than the 1st,
apart from the unnecessary bully boy   shouting at  abusing  the volunteer (again!)

Disappointed that we didnt get to see DS in full aqualung gear retrieving a lost Lady :) Instead in good model rail fashion, we had 'the Hand of God' in the form of the lock keeper wading in  :D

Graham Walters

The young nerd spouting H&S is starting to get on my breasts, I can see him having an 'accident' and walking into a tree before the series finishes
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66