New Server

Started by guest2, January 07, 2012, 10:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Hello all,

As you probably would have noticed over the last week we've been having some trouble with our hosting (where our website is stored).  With thanks to 'Illori' we have moved to a new server with much faster speeds.

I also don't have the worry of us using 18gb bandwidth a month when we should only have been allowed 2gb!!!

Whilst we made the move we've had to put the forum on .org.uk as a temporary measure.  We'll go back to storing the forum on .co.uk in a few weeks.  Typing in www.NGaugeForum.co.uk will always be the main address to access the forum, so you may not even notice the difference.  :)

Thanks for your patience and for allowing this forum to grow bigger.

Tank

Cimmerian

Thanks for putting in the effort to keep it going.
Regards, Ken

brbluewill

thanks for all the hard work guys :thumbsup:
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

rusticged

:wave: :beers:
Much appreciated! We always need good people behind the scenes!
Rusticged

Layout: 'Leefield & Ashpeth'
Modelling Freelance British outline from the 1960s to the Present day.

Trainfish

It may be worth noting for some that any new post notification emails could end up in their spam email box. Like mine did. I've now added the domain to my safe senders list so I will receive them all as before.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Mustermark

:computersmile: :thumbsup: :NGF:

Thanks Tank and Illori. Go Team! ;D

It's great that the forum is so popular - so :thumbsup: to everyone.

And I guess we have everyone to thank for the successful raffle as the improved hosting will be one of the ways that the raffle will be helping keep the forum going and getting better. So :thumbsup: everyone again!

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Illori

if it impresses anyone since we moved the forum, we have used a gig of bandwidth already.

kevin141

thanks to all
kevin141
Good dinner

polo2k

:o

any idea on how thats spread? i.e. if theres a lot of traffic looking for particular products (search logs) then that could help with approaching advertisers to pay for the new forum home.
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

polo2k

just thinking out loud, ive noticed that I keep seing the top image loading, where i didnt before. I remember you mentioning something about not cashing the image. is it possible that just loading the non cashed static images is swallowing a load of B/W?
Cheers
-Ash-

Illori

the caching has nothing to do with that specific image, as long as we are using this rotator script the image will be slightly delayed in loading. those images would not use much bandwidth at all.

polo2k

ah cool, any idea on the general split?
Cheers
-Ash-

Illori

polo2k

just in terms of why people visit NGF i.e. do people come here looking for advise on how to build a layout, or what stock to buy. This info would be valuable when approaching advertisers as they would have a tangeable target audience.
Cheers
-Ash-

Tank

I don't think you could narrow it down to those kinds of questions from looking at the statistics.  As for advertising, I should think that anyone who sells N Gauge would or should be interested.  Lots of the places that myself and the moderators have already asked either don't bother to reply, or promise to look into it, but never get back to us.  The people you see on here are the only ones who have replied positively.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations