default gateway not available

Started by Airfix 27 RA, June 24, 2020, 09:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airfix 27 RA

For about a month I keep getting this problem.  Windows massage, can't find page.
I click on the diagnostics, Windows Network Diagnostics comes up, does all sorts of things
messages then comes up, problem fixed.  Only happens when online and can be 8,9,10
times a day, it is now really bugging me.  Any ideas?
Old Hippies never die, we just float away.
Have a cup of tea.

ntpntpntp

Well assuming your network IP settings say use DHCP (most people will do unless they like to control their own home network in a tighter way) then your PC should be getting its gateway settings from your broadband router.  In turn your router then gets its IP and DNS info from your broadband provider.

Sounds like something's having problems (maybe things are running very slow when you boot up) and running the connection fix makes it sort itself out and refresh the info from the router.

Are you running over ethernet cable or over WiFi to the router?  Any WiFi signal strength or connection problems? Any broadband connection problems?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Airfix 27 RA

Quote from: ntpntpntp on June 24, 2020, 09:53:44 PM
Are you running over ethernet cable or over WiFi to the router?  Any WiFi signal strength or connection problems? Any broadband connection problems?

Running via Wi Fi, Broadband working fine and computer is about 3' from the router.
Will I need to get someone round to fix this?  I'm clueless with computers.
Have a cup of tea.

Malc

You could have a look at what your PC thinks it's settings are. Open a command box and type ipconfig. Press return and see what it thinks your default gateway is set to. It should be something like 192.168.0.1 or maybe ending in a different number.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

ntpntpntp

Has anything been updated/changed on the PC?  Windows updates,  antivirus, other software installed?  You'll find quite a few discussions on the topic on the net. Also lots of "how to fix..." links but be careful of those - many are a bit bogus and want to get you to download stuff.

I'd still tend to suspect connectivity problems myself.   If you're only 3' from the router can you try running with an ethernet cable for a while?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

red_death

Do you tend to turn your computer off when you've finished or hibernate it? If the latter then any problem may keep re-occurring as Windows doesn't always finish any recent updates on hibernation.

You shouldn't need to get someone out but you might have to be prepared to do a bit of diagnostic work on your WiFi settings and router.

NScaleNotes

Curious, if it only happens when online, I guess you mean browsing. If so it might not be a local area network issue.
Does your email software and/or Windows Updates also experience strange connection problems too?

Might it also be anti-virus software related? Any new anti-virus software or updates before the problem started happening?
Please be careful with this: but you could try disabling your current anti-virus software, perhaps turn on Windows Defender for a bit of protection while doing this and browse some known safe sites and see if that fixes things.

Airfix 27 RA

Quote from: Malc on June 25, 2020, 11:49:46 AM
You could have a look at what your PC thinks it's settings are. Open a command box and type ipconfig. Press return and see what it thinks your default gateway is set to. It should be something like 192.168.0.1 or maybe ending in a different number.

What the heck is a command box?
Have a cup of tea.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Airfix 27 RA on June 25, 2020, 01:55:09 PM
Quote from: Malc on June 25, 2020, 11:49:46 AM

What the heck is a command box?

The command line application in windows. Gives you access to underlying commands from back in the days before we had graphical interfaces  :D

Search your PC apps for Cmd or Command and select Command Prompt app.   

When you run that you get a black box window with a command prompt.  As Malc suggests, type in
ipconfig

... it tells you some info about the addresses that the PC has obtained (or is preset) for each network connection.

Malc

Depending on which version you are using. There could be a white box next to the start menu. Type CMD in there and you can select one.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Airfix 27 RA

Sorry guys all the above means nothing to me, I can just about manage to deal with what I am
doing now, a forum, oh, ebay and email, thats it.  It took me about an hour and three fags just to
get those pics on my post!!.
If this might help I have a Lenovo ideapad 110 15ACL.
This laptop does not show a screen anything like the blue one.
Have a cup of tea.

ntpntpntp

OK, so we could start to try and talk you through doing some basic stuff on a Windows pc like hitting the "Windows key" then typing "cmd" so it starts to search through your apps similar to that blue screenshot above, but to be honest if computers aren't your thing  (and that's fine  :) ) then it's going to get a bit laborious over a bunch of forum posts. 

To be honest even if you did mange to get the ipconfig results up they'll mean nothing to you, it'll need someone on here to understand and spot the problem if there is one.

Perhaps yes you do need someone to come and show you and maybe sort out the problem for you?

Airfix 27 RA

Quote from: ntpntpntp on June 25, 2020, 04:31:57 PM
OK, so we could start to try and talk you through doing some basic stuff on a Windows pc like hitting the "Windows key" then typing "cmd" so it starts to search through your apps similar to that blue screenshot above, but to be honest if computers aren't your thing  (and that's fine  :) ) then it's going to get a bit laborious over a bunch of forum posts. 

To be honest even if you did mange to get the ipconfig results up they'll mean nothing to you, it'll need someone on here to understand and spot the problem if there is one.

Perhaps yes you do need someone to come and show you and maybe sort out the problem for you?

Yep, I'll get someone in, because as you say, even if I did manage to get this windows thing up, it
would still be goggaldy gook to me.
But hey, thanks everyone for trying to help me, I really appreciate that.
I'm just not a computer type, :censored: (changed by forum) DCC control is high tech for me and my digital camera, is just wow.
Stuart
Have a cup of tea.

Railwaygun

the best investment would be a 4" length of ethernet cable to connect pc to the router.

what version of windows are you using? ntp3 's picture was windows 10

if you dont know, click Start button, then control panel, then System

this info will be useful ( operating system ) - do a picture?

is there anyone in your local train club who can help? ( if you belong to one)

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34