what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tadpole

Re-designing the fiddle yard at the London end of the station, effectively creating separate electric and diesel trackage with no link between the two until the country end of the station. This means the fiddle yard sidings can be longer, with fewer vital inches wasted on points, and only half the station will need third rail.

I now have the usual sore fingertips (despite making regular use of my thimble).
Two rails good. Three better.

longbridge

After I get back from a two week holiday I am going to get stuck into my scenery and finishing off my re-livery of locos and rolling stock.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Pete Mc

Been soldering dropper wires to the rail sides for the last couple of days.Well,saturday and today anyway.
I can only do about two hours at a time or I might fall asleep on the job.What a massively tedious and boring job it is.I'm beginning to wish I hadn't laid so much track,still,too late for that now,gotta carry on.Done about seven and a half hours on it then can start under the boards with the bus wire.
Only two wires for dcc.Pah,I wish.
I was going to wire one loop for dcc and the other for dc,but as I would have to do it again on the second loop,I decided to do it all at once.I'm terrible for going up to the train room to do something then jist having a play,so as the layout is disconnected from the dc controller,the only way I can play now is to push on with the wiring,get it done then test and play.This will keep my mind off the thought of putting lovely sound decoders in my trains.

Pete
:Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

EtchedPixels

A couple of steam locos only pretty much everything else is happy at 9, and most diesels at a bit less.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Huntlyian

Cheers Geoff

I had actually laid these bends before and realised that they were indeed pretty tight diameter wise (weren't very semi-circular either) so decided to do them properly.

So now I have two beautiful semicircular bends with a minimum radius of eleven and half inches but the outer one derails! Sad thing is, the original tracks worked!!!! What do they say "If it ain't broke, dont fix it!"

I think the track has gone out of gauge where I've joined two pieces of flexi track together. Was that cheesed off with it I washed the shed windows where the layout is stored while I summon the courage to have another bash.

Aren't hobbies fun!!! Anyway, thanks again Geoff for taking the time to pick up keyboard and offer advice, much appreciated.

Ian       :NGaugersRule:

tadpole

Laid and tested the electric-side fiddle yard.
Longest siding will only take 6 cars  :(
That means some of my commuters will be sitting for 90 mins in a 2HAP.  :(
Two rails good. Three better.

SymonC

Quote from: tadpole on February 22, 2012, 09:18:10 PM
Laid and tested the electric-side fiddle yard.
Longest siding will only take 6 cars  :(
That means some of my commuters will be sitting for 90 mins in a 2HAP.  :(

So very realistic then!  ;D

EtchedPixels

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Pengi

Testing the latest arrival to my fleet - Kato Hayate (via eBay and Korea)

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Skyline2uk

On Filton TMD I am:

1) Mid-way through the "NSE Branding" of the station "Filton West" (essentially painting lots of things NSE red!).

2) Slowly constructing a modern style station shelter for "Filton West". This is partly to replace my horrendous effort of a Kestral version and partly to test the proposed construction method for a far far grander scheme...

3) Re-building the scenic-break / fly-over that carries the "A38" over the main line, using much finer supports. This is after I discovered that "Hobbycraft" sell Evergreen plasticard (who knew?!)

4) Staring at the slightly iffy hard standing for the TMD itself (see my layout thread).

5) Prepping the final stretch of modern fencing to finally make the track "intruder proof".

6) Working out how best to present my Hornby Lyddle End War Memorial. Partly cos its in a prominant location and partly because my beloved feels very strongly that the poppies should be visible from the layout front :-)

7) Finding some time to bring my layout thread up to date and do some "On My Work Bench" entries too!

Wow, just found some un-opened modern signs....the list goes on!

1936ace

have completed station/yard/loco depot of the country treminus of my 4.5mtr by 3.5mtr layout. i have just started to do the inclines out of the town over the hills tp the main lines. project stalled at moment due to building a 00 gauge southern layout for a mate and trying to finish off my 5inch gauge loco and riding cars

davidjhope

Hands and knees looking for a coupling spring.
I'm still calm.
I was to lazy to get a bag.

Newportnobby

Quote from: davidjhope on March 09, 2012, 02:51:47 PM
Hands and knees looking for a coupling spring.
I'm still calm.
I was to lazy to get a bag.

Try wandering around in bare feet and see if you can find it by treading on it ;D

davidjhope

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations