what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1042 Western Princess

What am I doing on the layout?  Since 16th March, 3 weeks ago, I have been fitting landscape formers and that's all I've done. I won't say "non stop" but certainly on a daily basis and I am getting bored! It's enough to make you weep  :'(
It's not that I don't want to do other things but these need doing and I can't work too fast because the PVA takes time to dry. If only someone would invent "instant landscape! where you just pour it on and hills, valleys, woodland, cuttings embankments and the rest form in seconds!
I know some enjoy scenic work but I hate it. I find it so dull and dull and dull - did I mention I find it dull to do?
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

austinbob

:) I'm currently wiring up my mimic panels prior to starting laying track. I've been 'planning' the track laying for about a year now and really need to get started. Running out of excuses now... Think I should actually lay track in a couple of weeks.

Wish me luck.

Bob Austin
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

EtchedPixels

Slowly taking shape.. I guess it needs a name and a thread of its own soon.

Been "testing" the pointwork extensively with a terrier and smarting to sort the scenics. The platform gap isn't great but does allow modern era DMU stock to be run, although the limit is really 20m stock for the fiddle sidings at the back.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

Looks fascinating, Alan, but is that line in the centre of the board actually connected to anything else? Would like to see a track plan if poss, please

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Tdm

Found a spare piece of wood and managed to squeeze on an extra 3 inches to the baseboard along the side to allow me to add 2 extra long sidings by the station terminus.
I need them because I have more rolling stock than I could accommodate on the existing layout. Also squeezed in an extra siding between Inner & Outer tracks served by point "M1", and a "high" level loop at the left on which I can put more rolling stock.
Just waiting for a delivery of track from Hattons in order to lay it all down.
The new layout arrangement looks like pic enclosed below.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Tdm on April 07, 2014, 06:24:14 PM
Found a spare piece of wood and managed to squeeze on an extra 3 inches to the baseboard along the side to allow me to add 2 extra long sidings by the station terminus.
I need them because I have more rolling stock than I could accommodate on the existing layout. Also squeezed in an extra siding between Inner & Outer tracks served by point "M1", and a "high" level loop at the left on which I can put more rolling stock.
Just waiting for a delivery of track from Hattons in order to lay it all down.
The new layout arrangement looks like pic enclosed below.

A busy looking plan but can you confirm and settle my curiosity please - is it a "terminus" or a through station? It certainly doesn't look like a terminus.

Tdm

A busy looking plan but can you confirm and settle my curiosity please - is it a "terminus" or a through station? It certainly doesn't look like a terminus.
[/quote]

It's a "through" Station - I only called it a terminus because I already have 2 other stations on the layout - "Anglezarke" and "Belmont" (the latter being more of a terminus).

lil chris

bit of a **** up ie slight mishap. Masked the viaduct while I used the railmatch sleeper grime and when I removed the masking tape some of the brickwork and the coping stones came off with the tape. Fortunately I had plenty of spares with buying two kits.....phew.....should have checked the tape first, my own fault.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

EtchedPixels

Quote from: newportnobby on April 07, 2014, 01:32:54 AM
Looks fascinating, Alan, but is that line in the centre of the board actually connected to anything else? Would like to see a track plan if poss, please

The NN3 centre section goes under the main line and round the back at a lower level (out of sight of the picture) to another pair of tracks. There's also a plug in board if there is space to add a 180° of curves on the left to make the NN3 bit a loop too.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Tdm on April 07, 2014, 08:06:45 PM

It's a "through" Station - I only called it a terminus because I already have 2 other stations on the layout - "Anglezarke" and "Belmont" (the latter being more of a terminus).
[/quote]

:thankyousign:

MinZaPint

Nothing! I had planned to start constructing the cupboards to sit the baseboards on. Instead about 11.30 last night my car alarm went off, went out and reset it, 20 minutes later off it went again, couldn't face doing anything then, left it unlocked and went to bed. So this morning I investigated, eventually traced fault to faulty bonnet latch alarm switch. Checked on the web and apparently this is quite common on Mondeos! Took the web advice to disconnect the wiring plug to the switch and connect the wires to complete the circuit, all fine so that'll do until I can get a new switch fitted. Feel in need of a drink got to practice for a "Cultural Tour" tomorrow  :beers: So cupboards Thursday  :thumbsup:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Wingman mothergoose

Today I have been mostly altering the wiring to accommodate the new trailing crossover, moving 2 rotary switches and changing the size of isolating sections to make the layout easier to operate. Also I've been running trains to test the new track and make sure nothing details. If I have time I may fit the point motors to the crossover, if not I'll do that first thing tomorrow...

Kevsworld

Hi Fellow Forumer's
I'm so brand new to this.....
Just ordered my 1st piece, a Blue Pullman so guess I should get a layout to run it on.
So for me it's very much about planning and redesign at the moment.

Got some bits left from when I was a teenager, so long ago - to un mothball, but in reality will be starting from scratch.
I have a clear vision of what I want, now just to make it real.
Early 60's location in Scotland, where BR East meets BR West [due to stock preferences].
Weird yes but thats why its Kevsworld.
:hellosign:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations