what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParkeNd

Made my first scratch built building.      :claphappy:

It's a lineside hut of which Parkend has two in the station throat. OK it's only 2cms long, but it has a recessed door and a Kestrel window, planked walls, a flemish brick base and a sloping roof. Used Daler board covered in Slaters Plastikard and balsa strengtheners in the corners. Very strong. So is it it made of card or plastic?  Paint tomorrow.

It looks far better than expected and being so small it was probably harder than a larger simple building. Tomorrow I shall use this new found confidence to tackle the brick Gents toilet on Platform 1.

Then the station building which is really a glorified shed. Said Gents toilet to the right of the station building.

And the goods shed - which is another glorified shed.

Newportnobby

When it comes time for station clutter etc look no further than County Rolling Stock (see ad on right hand side). Richard has a wondrous range for sale :thumbsup:

woodbury22uk

Today has been a stock chageover day. Gone are all the British trains - WSM push pull set, Pretendolino, Mk 1 sleeper train, Blue Pullman and XC Voyager, replaced by 5 TGVs - 16 car Eurostar, 10 car POS, 10 car Thalys, 10 car Duplex, and 10 car Euromed. Also taken the opportunity to reorganise the stock storage cupboards. Next up is another small scenic board with the grain terminal which I can work on away from the layout. The stock chageover takes place about every two months and with the next chage there will be two 20 wagon SNCF grain trains running as well as loco hauled passenger trains and DMUs.

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

talisman56

Took the opportunity while NGF was 'off the air' to actually do some modelling...  :D

BR standard 5MT 73158 is now 'Standard Arthur' 73082 "Camelot" complete with etched name and smokebox number plates

Green Farish Bulleids have now been renumbered and formed into set 94 (BSK(SO) S4039S - [SK S40S] - CK S5937S - BSK(SO) S4040S) - the SK was only in set until June 1962, no decals available.
Crimson/Cream Bulleids have been formed into set 767 (BTK(SO) S3950 - CK S5878 - BTK(SO) S3951) but coaches not yet renumbered

I found an old FMR decal sheet with yellow and red cantrail stripes on it - obviously meant for Mark IIIs as the stripes are too thick for anything previous - tried applying a half-thickness yellow stripe to the CK of set 94 but the decals are not sitting correctly over the raised detail above the windows so gave that up. Possibly the decals have deteriorated in storage... ?

One problem spotted once all above activity had been completed: the NGS/Modelmaster decal set 'crib sheet' shows the formation for set 94 as above (which is correct) but the actual numbers on the decal sheet are S4039S, S5836S, S4038S - the latter two are from set 93!  :doh: Serves me right for not twigging the mistake before applying the decals...  :veryangry:

If I get some time tomorrow I'll do some piccies and post them in my Workbench thread...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

ParkeNd

Cutting my finger - but only a little bit. Saw Swann Morton No3 holders in stainless steel plus 6 No 10A blades for £1.58 on Amazon so sent for 2 sets.

Cut myself putting the blade in!!

Brilliant for cutting Dahler Board as well.

Newportnobby

Quote from: ParkeNd on January 31, 2014, 08:10:03 PM

Cut myself putting the blade in!!

No doubt you're not the first and won't be the last, but it does sting a lot :-[ :angel:

BLOKEY

Just undercoated my optical test car for my structural gauging train. ???
Photo.s to follow   8)
Paul-H

ParkeNd

Fresh on the horns of success having scratch built a line side hut and a brick gents toilet, I embarked on scratch building Parkend Goods Shed. Have got to the stage where front and rear elevations have their doors and windows and Plastikard planking, and have been assembled to the sides and a former in the middle to stop the roof sagging. Shopping with SWMBO tomorrow, but onto the roof and two sets of side fitting goods doors ( non-opening for cowardice) on Monday.

At least I managed to wield the new scalpel to cut out clean window and door apertures without letting blood today.

ngauger

Having fun!  Running my Class 24 with 6 LMS coaches, and finishing 'Railway Cottages'.

LNWR & Midland Railway Company

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: ngauger on January 14, 2014, 11:47:57 AM
This:

Don't know about you, but they scream 'Walthamstow' & 'Stevenage' to me.

Scalescenes flats (of course!)

http://scalescenes.com/products/TO10-Low-Relief-Flats
I scream when I think about Stevenage!

Great cottages , are the Scalescenes as well?
:thumbsup:  Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

ngauger

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on February 03, 2014, 08:06:28 AM
Quote from: ngauger on January 14, 2014, 11:47:57 AM
This:

Don't know about you, but they scream 'Walthamstow' & 'Stevenage' to me.

Scalescenes flats (of course!)

http://scalescenes.com/products/TO10-Low-Relief-Flats

Great cottages , are the Scalescenes as well?
:thumbsup:  Jerry
Careful, my ma-inlaw lives in Stevenage!!
Yes Gerry, they are, well spotted.  They are a real joy to make, and can be modified to your own spec as required.  I've just finished their garage, and with a little weathering, will look really nice in a corner of my layout, with plenty of oil & grease of course!

ATB

Andy

BudgieJane

I'm currently trying to design it in such a way as it does not annoy my partner. That could be a tad difficult.
Best wishes

Jane

Sprintex

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on February 03, 2014, 08:06:28 AM

:laugh:

So do I, spent three years getting off the train there for a job I HATED !!  >:(

Paul

MattJ

Having to stick down some track which had'nt been stuck down properly... fiddly trying to prise it up without lifting track I want to stay stuck down.
They're there for their tea.

ngauger

Finishing off my latest addition...a Scalescenes garage.  I add lights as I go now, but guess who cut the wire too short, twice!!

Doh!!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations