Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

Quote from: njee20 on May 21, 2020, 09:33:17 AM
A love of grocers apostrophes too, it would seem ;)

Certainly makes me feel better about having six 350s!

I typed my message twice and 101s, 118s etc just doesn't look right. Neither does 101's, 108's etc. Shouldn't grocers be typed as grocers' ?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

njee20

Ha, no apostrophe on plurals of numbers (or basically anything!). So 108s is correct (as is 1990s etc). If it's apostrophes used by all the grocers, then yes, "grocers'", if it's singular then "grocer's"; I think even the most pedantic would be hard pushed to argue either of those was right!

Trainfish

The thing is I don't need an English language lesson as a grade A at O level has served me ok in my life. All I'm saying is that 108s etc doesn't look right. In my mind your statement should have said either "A love of grocer's apostrophes too" or "A love of grocers' apostrophes too". Both of those look right to me  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

njee20

Don't worry, it was a firmly tongue in cheek comment rather than a lesson, of course 108's is perfectly understandable, but it is wrong, whether it looks it or not. Grocer's/grocers' are both right, just different!  :thumbsup:

Anyway, DMUs are much more interesting!

Trainfish

It could also be written as DMU's though in the right context. All of the DMU's passengers were drunk for example.  :smiley-laughing:

Anyway, the mods will be along shortly so.................

I don't have any pictures yet so I can't show them but I bought 2x RTC laboratory coaches the other day. I realised afterwards that I already have these models but it's good to have spares  :o
John

<*))))><

crewearpley40

I would love to see your trains john
English lesson over. Keep up the good work

steve836

My new arrival.
D5509 pauses at a signal with a load of new cars (on the cartics courtesy of trainfish) and spare parts ( in the ford pallet vans 3 of which I showed a while back and 2 I've had a long while.) from Dagenham to Liverpool. I know it normally went WCML but I'm pleading diversion due to the electrification work. ( and rule 1 of course.)
The cartics will have to wait until winter for a coat of blue paint and Ford decals.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

crewearpley40

Trainfish

John

<*))))><

ECMLfan

The mail man knocked on the door today...

I was so exited I decided to do an unboxing for the first time...

Ted

Not my era, but can't deny that's a good looking train (shed)!
Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

njee20

Lovely! Who painted that? They've done a great job.

ECMLfan

Quote from: njee20 on June 10, 2020, 08:56:30 PM
Lovely! Who painted that? They've done a great job.
Got it from eBay and was made to order so had to wait 5 weeks.
https://ebay.nl/usr/arxmodels

njee20

Weirdly it doesn't look like he ships to the UK! Decent pricing though. Tempted to ask him...  :hmmm:

ECMLfan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations