Big Boy

Started by Ditape, April 07, 2020, 01:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ditape

Not n gauge but as n gauge/scale Big Boys (one of my favourite Locos) that are DCC friendly are hard to get hold of here in the UK until Kato release theirs or Athearn re-release some and being on Lock Down I have just received this HO kit to pass some time. Thank you Postie for Delivering my sanity savers.

Diane Tape

Gizzy

They are indeed the most incredible machines.

I went to a garden railway exhibition a few years ago, and they had a G scale one, shunting up and down a 18 ft length of track on 3 trestle tables.

It still looked very impressive even moving slowly up and down the line, but they remain firmly out of my pay grade....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

njee20

Always preferred SP AC12 Cab Forwards, but Big Boys are pretty awesome, just for their sheer scale!

emjaybee

Having stood next to one in real life, they are just awesome! Although I dont model US, i plan on getting a Kato/Athearn one when theyre available. I mean, why wouldn't you?

I'd like to have a shelf with Beyer-Garratt, Challenger and Big Boy all lined up.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Ditape

My first experience of a big boy was the 12" gauge one @the Dobwalls Forrest Park Railway and that one was impressive when in steam. I have a challenger already.
[/youtube]
Diane Tape

mr bachmann

congrat's on the Revel kit , they are a easy build , you wont have much trouble with the valve gear , also it scales up nice alongside  the HO Athern one .

njee20

I remember going to Dobwalls aged about 4, was awesome!

Ditape

Yes it was a wonderful place to visit, it is now a arts centre and the locos are in Australia :'( :( :thumbsdown:
Diane Tape

Graham

Dobwalls was one of the places we visited on our last holiday in England before emigrating so would have been 1986, just when a large storm hit Cornwall. Interesting the loco's have followed us down under, anyone know where they ended up?

Ditape

the last I heard they were going to Australia under the ownership of one Colin Rees of Melbourne.
Diane Tape

Graham

thanks for that will go hunting when allowed.

emjaybee

I Googled Dobwalls as I'd never heard of it. According to the info available it closed in 2006 for refurbishment and never resurfaced.

The largest/best locos, as previously mentioned, went 'down under' and there were details of where some of them ended up, but the locations mean nothing to me. Have a look yourself, it'll mean more to yourselves.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Graham

thanks for this, they ended up at Diamond Valley Railway which is not too far from me. they have quite a set up there.

https://www.dvr.com.au/

Ditape

The kit of a Big Boy has been assembled ready for applying the decals it is huge 18" long.

Diane Tape

Bealman

You've done a great job, Di!!  :thumbsup:

So how long is the entire model?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50%