!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hidden text on www.ngaugeforum.co.uk?  (Read 743 times)

RST

• Trade Count: (0)
Hidden text on www.ngaugeforum.co.uk?
« on: December 30, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »
Anyone noticed there's the following text on the webpage before you get redirected to the forum...

Please sign up for news, advice and to show off your layout! N Gauge Forum, 2mm Association, N Gauge, N Gauge Layout, n gauge layouts, n gauge train sets, n gauge track plans, n gauge locomotives, graham farish n gauge, peco n gauge, hornby n gauge, dapol n gauge, Dapol, Grafar, Farish, Graham Farish, Bachmann, 9mm, 1:148, Railway Modeller, Arnold, Hornby, Peco, Minitrix, Kato, Pico, Roco, Fleischmann, Bachmann, Atlas, Greenmax, Tomytec, Tomix,

...it's white text on a white background on my screen, I only noticed it when I randomly clicked on the top area.  What's it for?  Is it supposed to be visible?

Offline Rabs

• Awards
Re: Hidden text on www.ngaugeforum.co.uk?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 03:46:50 PM »
It's standard practice to put keywords that you think people might search for somewhere on the first page of a website.  That makes it easy for Google and other search engines to find your site and put it somewhere near the top of the results list for people searching for those terms.
There's an entire profession of people who do SEO (search engine optimisation) and this is just one of the many, many tricks of their trade.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »
Damn, you've found out the secret part of the website!!!  :D  Rabs has explained it perfectly.

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:40:05 PM »
What you should have done was to scroll down further, to the incantations involving chicken and modeller's blood to ensure a fully working layout... ;)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »
What you should have done was to scroll down further, to the incantations involving chicken and modeller's blood to ensure a fully working layout... ;)

That bit was written by Ozzie Osborn :laugh3:

RST

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 03:32:01 AM »
Did not know the hidden text thing though I know there's lots of 'tinternet programmer tricks.  Not sure what purpose the first page does anyway? Maybe there should be something funny on there a the bottom?

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 10:58:06 AM »
It's a work in progress....although there is nothing to show yet.  Time is not my friend, but I'll get around to it eventually with a little help from Emanuelle - who knows everything about SMF (the software for the main forum)!  :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal