NGF Membership Cards

Started by Rob H, August 23, 2013, 06:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob H

Seeing the NGS Membership Card topic on here got me thinking !

My local model train shop gives discount to anyone who is a "card carrying" member of a model train club or society and I'm sure other shops do the same. It's also a way to get the NGF name better known.

You've probably guessed what's coming next - would it be worthwhile having membership cards for this forum ?

Your thoughts and comments please and if this has been covered/suggested previously I apologise.

Cheers,

Rob.
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

scotsoft

That is one for the boss I think  :D

However it would be easy enough to do and you could even have a passport style photograph on it if desired  ;)

cheers John.

CarriageShed

Hmm... Could be useful for ID when I'm asked for my age whilst buying alcohol  ;)

...If only someone would ask me for my age when I buy alcohol :'(

Sprintex

Easy enough maybe but probably quite time-consuming to administer and update every year, plus there's the cost of cards and postage considering we don't pay any 'membership' fee ;)

Paul

guest311

could it not be a blank online card that we could download and print ourselves ?

only members could access the 'file' and you could then add a photo if you wanted.

just a thought

scotsoft

I would think a master that could be downloaded would be the way to go  :thumbsup:

If it is given the go ahead  ;)

cheers John.

trainsdownunder

Quote from: class37025 on August 23, 2013, 09:26:40 PM
could it not be a blank online card that we could download and print ourselves ?

only members could access the 'file' and you could then add a photo if you wanted.

just a thought

Nice idea for getting a bit of discount, but I fear we may end up with people joining just to get the "card".

Whilst I know that not all join in to the extent some of us do on the forum. What makes this a great place to join is the fact that people want to join in.

Quote from: Sprintex on August 23, 2013, 09:18:32 PM

Easy enough maybe but probably quite time-consuming to administer and update every year, plus there's the cost of cards and postage considering we don't pay any 'membership' fee ;)

Don't mind having a fee as if we do have cards, I think they should be "professionally" produced - ie not us downloading and printing individually.

It's the admin side that may cause the issue.

longbridge

On the other side of the debate I can hardly close my wallet for blasted cards  >:D how about a badge  :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Pengi

If there is sufficient interest in having a membership card/badge then we will assess what is feasible.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

IanUK

I agree that this forum should remain free access to all but, on the other hand I do not see what would be wrong with a membership fee for those amongst who would like to hold a membership card for the NGF.

A lot of us have joined the N Gauge Society, and the benefits it brings, so maybe there would benefits in having such a membership.

Obviously it comes down to cost and the administration, but on the plus side if through a membership it brings extra revenue for the site then I'm all for it.

Just my two penneth.

Ian
People say I'm small minded and live in my own little world; maybe their right!

EtchedPixels

Tank sells mugs and NGF wagons so you can get one of those. Maybe we need some UK made T shirts ?

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Tank

Hi all,

As many of you will be aware, we do have a shop that sells mugs and t-shirts etc.  Annoyingly it's based in the USA and therefore postage is expensive.  The reason I chose this is because my time is limited and Cafepress process the orders without having to get me involved.

Newportnobby has recently retired and has kindly volunteered to be our Merchandising Officer.  Therefore, there will be some changes to products being made available in the UK already.  First on the list are mugs, MPV kits, Class 456 cabs and 321 Cabs. 

With the kind help of a member who contacted over the weekend I am currently looking at enamel pin badges.

At the moment I'm not sure about the idea of membership cards, and I certainly wouldn't take away the idea of the forum being free.

voltan

For the young at heart can we have rub on tattoos of the NGF logo? ;)

painbrook

Quote from: EtchedPixels on August 25, 2013, 07:38:33 PM
Tank sells mugs and NGF wagons so you can get one of those. Maybe we need some UK made T shirts ?
I thought they where an endangered species, that to include anything made in the UK. Cheers john.

CarriageShed

Quote from: upnick on August 27, 2013, 08:40:56 PM
Do you know the age for alcohol when   being asked for ID  ?

I've never known alcohol to be asked for ID, so its age remains a secret  :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations