Ex-Kitmaster Schools class

Started by MikeDunn, October 11, 2013, 01:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeDunn

Hi all,

SWMBO picked up, a while back, the Dapol release of the Airfix release of the Kitmaster Schools class; in this case, King's Wimbledon (instead of the original Harrow).

Now ... I've had a look, and I'm a little leery of it !  If I do build this (I may not have a lot of choice  :doh:  :(), I'd like to build it "better" than what I have in the bag; if nothing else, that means proper decals etc.  But ... I'd prefer to go further, and make this a running model.  I know it won't be anywhere up to modern standards, but ... !

So ... is this a feasible idea for this kit ?  Are there detailing packs around that I can get to improve it (please don't say silk purse / sow's ear  ::)) ?  Who from ?  And what about replacing the wheels (horrible plastic things) - I assume something like Gibson or Ultrascale (really don't say the purse / ear here !!!).  As far as the motor etc - haven't a clue ...  ???

Or should I just build it as a static & tell SWMBO that if she wants a running kit to buy a proper one !  :P

Mike

EtchedPixels

Well first of all you are going to need to grind it into fine powder and use that to cast an N scale one 8)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Dorsetmike

Quote from: EtchedPixels on October 11, 2013, 01:57:35 PM
Well first of all you are going to need to grind it into fine powder and use that to cast an N scale one 8)

I think I'd rather buy a Del Prado one (washes mouth out) save a lot of hassle. Mine's parked back of the shed, must get the smoke box door open and add a couple of fitters in attendance.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Roy L S

Quote from: MikeDunn on October 11, 2013, 01:17:02 PM
Hi all,

SWMBO picked up, a while back, the Dapol release of the Airfix release of the Kitmaster Schools class; in this case, King's Wimbledon (instead of the original Harrow).

Now ... I've had a look, and I'm a little leery of it !  If I do build this (I may not have a lot of choice  :doh:  :(), I'd like to build it "better" than what I have in the bag; if nothing else, that means proper decals etc.  But ... I'd prefer to go further, and make this a running model.  I know it won't be anywhere up to modern standards, but ... !

So ... is this a feasible idea for this kit ?  Are there detailing packs around that I can get to improve it (please don't say silk purse / sow's ear  ::)) ?  Who from ?  And what about replacing the wheels (horrible plastic things) - I assume something like Gibson or Ultrascale (really don't say the purse / ear here !!!).  As far as the motor etc - haven't a clue ...  ???

Or should I just build it as a static & tell SWMBO that if she wants a running kit to buy a proper one !  :P

Mike

A more cost effective route to a working one in 00 (Sorry!) is the Hornby Railroad one: -

http://www.ehattons.com/60230/Hornby_R3172_Class_V_Schools_4_4_0_steam_locomotive_925_Cheltenham_in_SR_Malachite_green/StockDetail.aspx

Regards

Roy

MikeDunn

I (or rather SWMBO) already have a working one ... that's not the point.

Anyone with any decent suggestions ?  ::)

Adam1701D

I did have a look for replacement chassis that would fit the Airfix Schools but with no luck. I'm sure someone like Comet or Branchlines would probably do something suitable. A quick check on eBay did show a Kitmaster Schools mounted on an old Eames chassis that recently sold, so that might be a good route.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

EtchedPixels

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

MikeDunn

Cheers Adam,

I'll have a look-see over there ... odds are, I'll end up making it a static & tell SWMBO to find a decent kit for a runner  :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations