Wood planked metal sheet

Started by exmouthcraig, April 04, 2020, 11:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

:helpneededsign:

As my workbench thread shows I'm currently building an N Brass Loco GWR 6T crane, this is to attempt to replicate one that existed BUT had a timber planked shed over the top of it so the yard bloke could presumably stay dry whilst operating the crane.

As I have soldered  :o the crane together I'm thinking about building the shed with some planked metal sheet rather then plastic. I am no expert on metal work but think it would be much easier to create a shed with it and be able to solder the crane into the shed a lot easier then it would be with plasticard.

I'm hoping that someone will sell some wagon flooring type sheet that I can attempt to create the shed with.

Any help, recommendations and advice greatly appreciated

Many thanks  :thankyousign: Craig

zwilnik

Can you scribe blank brass sheet for a planking effect?

exmouthcraig

:hmmm: good thinking @zwilnik as you can guess that never entered my head!!!

It might have to be as a last resort

Dorsetmike

Or if you had a plotter cutter you could use an embossing tool instead of a knife
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Stevie DC

For my (in progress) Boplate B wagon, I scribed the planking using a Tamiya panel line scriber. It took several passes to get sufficient depth in the metal (0.35mm thick brass) for the lines to stand out - quite a time consuming process for the deck. I also use this process to score the metal sufficiently to snap it out which is much easier to do using 0.25mm sheet than it is with 0.35mm!

Here is the result.

Link to the panel scriber: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamiya-74091-700-300074091-Plastic-Scriber/dp/B002KKBVTC

exmouthcraig

@Stevie DC looks absolutely fantastic steve, I was hoping that someone like you who knows and does so much scratchbuilding you would know of a sheet of planking for wagon chassis or something.

Looks like I'm going to have to try to be creative

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations