Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

As George has 'gone native', for those like me who are confused 'Tendoid' is a mahjong like game which makes one suspect the poster's sobriety :laugh3:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=tendoid&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 29, 2019, 10:01:54 AM

'Tendoid' is a mahjong like game which makes one suspect the poster's sobriety

George might have missed out the 'r' - https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/trendoid
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

I'll restrain myself from commenting on what he may/may not do with his 'R's

Papyrus

Cautionary tale with (we hope) a happy ending

No. 2 stepson (mid-thirties, misspent youth largely behind him) went down to Brighton on Saturday night with some friends to a gig. We had arranged to pick him up the next day from his flat, about a mile away from us, so that he could spend the day with us and his 2-year-old nephew. My wife phoned him to say we were on our way but, unusually, didn't get a reply. After a couple more fruitless efforts we started to get worried so my wife grabbed his spare key and drove round there. The first sign something was amiss was the trail of clothes along the floor. She found him in his bed very groggy, virtually incoherent and with his hands badly cut as if he had fallen on them, but he did manage to tell her he had lost his phone (brand new...£1000!). She managed to get him up and over to our house.

During the course of a fairly chaotic day it became apparent that he couldn't remember anything for about 6 hours. He remembers the gig but not leaving it, then nothing else until he was back in Haywards Heath but completely lost in the early hours of a freezing night. He managed eventually to stagger his way to somewhere he recognised and got home about 6am. He has no idea how he got parted from his friends or what happened during the missing hours.

Now being a software engineer by profession he has a program on his laptop which, in a worryingly Big Brotherish way, can trace his phone's movements. It shows that after leaving the gig he went to a bar in Brighton, presumably as part of the gang, and another one in Haywards Heath, but has no memory of either. He didn't have much to drink - he didn't smell of alcohol as he used to in the past, and adding two and two together we have come to the conclusion that his drink was probably spiked. For a while we thought this might have been so that somebody could nick his new phone, but equally there were young women in the group and one of them could have been the intended target. We will probably never know.

The happy ending is that he has his phone back. His phone tracking software said that it had come to rest at the end of a cul-de-sac on the other side of the town, and we had already looked for it there once without success. However, he found he could use his laptop to get it to ring even if the ringtone was supposedly muted, so my wife and I went back there. Amazingly, we heard it ringing in the grass! All safe and sound, but how it got to where it was will probably remain a mystery.

Keep safe, people,

Chris

daveg

Wow!  :o

That's some story Chris, and glad it has a happy-ish ending.

Hope all his mates were also OK.

Dave G

RailGooner

Thanks Chris! Our youngest (27) lives in Brighton. Always helpful if, when rolling out more dull Dad advice, I can point her to a true story.
:beers:

Papyrus

Yes, everybody else appears to be OK.

We went to the police this morning, initially to report a missing, possibly stolen phone, but they recorded it as a possible crime and are going to investigate. We assume it happened in Brighton, but it could have been the bar in Haywards Heath - we don't know how such drugs work. If it just encourages him to be a bit more careful it will have done some good!

Cheers,

Chris

guest311

you found a police station that was open ?  :o

Snowwolflair

Quote from: class37025 on December 02, 2019, 04:37:54 PM
you found a police station that was open ?  :o

There is a lot of trade for them in Brighton given the drugs and party scene.  Add to that the unruly visitors from London it is not the idiotic town portrayed by some.

Papyrus

We actually went to the one in Haywards Heath as there was a slim chance a missing phone might be handed in there.

We like Brighton - it's a very lively, friendly place. It's moved on from the days when it was described as 'the town that's helping the police with their enquiries...'

Cheers,

Chris

railsquid

I found a mobile phone at my local station (here in Tokyo) in front of the ticket machines on top of a pile of paper, obviously someone had put it there while purchasing a ticket and forgot about it, so being a good Citizen-of-Nowhere™ I handed in to the station staff before someone trod on it.

In other happy news,  the local authority munificently and unexpectedly transferred a retroactive lump sum of kindergarten subsidy which I wasn't aware we would get  :beers:

Jon898

Quote from: railsquid on December 07, 2019, 01:36:11 AM
I found a mobile phone at my local station (here in Tokyo) in front of the ticket machines on top of a pile of paper, obviously someone had put it there while purchasing a ticket and forgot about it, so being a good Citizen-of-Nowhere™ I handed in to the station staff before someone trod on it.

In other happy news,  the local authority munificently and unexpectedly transferred a retroactive lump sum of kindergarten subsidy which I wasn't aware we would get  :beers:

Karma in action...

joe cassidy

Papyrus

My wife and I had a query about our income tax so we phoned HMRC. God bless 'em, within a week we got a cheque for £900!

I know HMRC get a lot of stick, but we've always found them to be really helpful. Might be able to afford new wardrobes after Christmas now.

Cheers,

Chris

Papyrus

........... and now my pension payslip shows a £40 rebate!  :laugh3: :claphappy: :bounce: :claphappy: :laugh3:

Cheers,

Chris

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations