Started by joe cassidy, October 18, 2014, 06:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe cassidy

Has anyone been called from the above number (I think it's an American number) by individuals of Indian origin purporting to work for "Microsoft California" ?

They claim that they have received messages that your computer is infected by a "dangerous virus" and they try to persuade you to follow their instructions in order to get rid of them.

Anyone know what's behind this ?

Yours curiously,

Joe

Chetcombe

Sounds very much like a scam. Even if the call was from the US, the 210 area code is for San Antonio Texas, which is nowhere near California.
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Griffo

joe cassidy

Thanks guys.

I got rid of them after their 3rd attempt by increasing my rudeness level.

Best regards,

Joe

Geoff

Yep we had them about 4 weeks ago, just put the phone on answer phone and they soon gave up.
Geoff

MikeDunn

Ask them how it's possible when you run Apple / Linux / other non-MS OS  :D

Bob Tidbury

Whatever you do DONT give them your bank details this scam has been around for a while it was even on one of the breakfast TV programs again this year , I let them waffle on for a while he told me my device was sending out dubious messages and they could fix it then when he told me to go to some setting or other and I said I haven't got that on my IPad he hung up.
Bob

Newportnobby

They rang me four consecutive days but I told them to 'go away in short jerky movements' and they've desisted now :D

cjdodd

Its a total scam. there are some fun videos on youtube where people have let them into a test PC to see what they try and do.

Scamming the scammers -- catching the virus call centre scammers red-handed

Malc

I use "who called me UK" to see which are spammers or telemarketing calls. http://uk.whocalledme.com
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

When they used to call the house phone I would ask them to hold on while I went to get the homeowner. Then I would place the phone down and carry on my business returning about 1/2 hour later to hang up the phone. I often wondered how long they would wait.I don't have a house phone anymore and I don't get them on my mobile.

Jamie

Agrippa

I get one of these calls every week or so, but not sure if from that number. As soon as I hear the
vindaloo accent and the background racket I hang up. If I'm in a good mood I'll ask them what's
the weather like or the cricket score and string them along for a few minutes.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations