HST formations

Started by guest311, October 25, 2011, 12:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

I've been looking around for details on HST formations, and while I've found several sites that list the coaches within the set, what I haven't been able to find out is which end the first class coaches are.

ie when a Kings Cross - Inverness set is at Kings cross, are the first class at the buffers [south] end or the other end.

I assume that as the sets basically shuttle between two points they will always be the same way round, or am I wrong in assuming that ?

any info or links would be appreciated

cheers

alan

Adam1701D

East Coast HSTs and Mk4s nearly always have first class at the London (south) end of the train. Occasionally a set gets reversed but this is quite rare.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Paul B

FGW (First Great Western) sets are the same - usually the first class coaches are nearest the buffers at Paddington, although you will occasionally find one the wrong way round (just to confuse us poor commuters first thing in the morning! >:( )
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

poliss

The first class end is nearest the buffers at London stations so the poor rich people don't have to walk far.

StufromEGDL

Quote from: poliss on October 25, 2011, 05:11:16 PM
The first class end is nearest the buffers at London stations so the poor rich people don't have to walk far.

Except Anglia for some reason....

STU from EGDL
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

guest311

many thanks for this,

yet another excample of the wealth of knowledge on this forum

cheers

alan

MJKERR

By tradition the First Class, on a London service, is at the London end
This is so that people boarding at London have less distance to walk
Sadly this often means at their destination they can have the longest distance to walk!
The converse also applies southbound

Quote from: StufromEGDL on October 25, 2011, 11:20:05 PM
Except Anglia for some reason....
Has this been a recent change?
When I travelled on their services in 2009 all the sets had First Class at the London end

Chris

I saw this set on Saturday:

Yes - a 2+4 set, and although not clear is the photos, both end coaches were 1st class, so formation was 43484+TFO+TRFB+TSO+TFO+43480.

Anglia sets are normally 1st class at the London end coupled to the class 90 loco, although given how plain most of the mk3 stock is, it's hard to tell!

StufromEGDL

Quote from: Chris on October 26, 2011, 09:27:16 AM

Anglia sets are normally 1st class at the London end coupled to the class 90 loco, although given how plain most of the mk3 stock is, it's hard to tell!

Hi Guys;

Sorry for the duff gen....certainly used to be the case in IC days ....but that IS a few years ago now.  Seems like 1st Class at the London end all round now....

Later;
STU from EGDL
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Sprintex

Grand Central are a law unto themselves, their sets tend to consist of whatever was useable on the day!  ;)

ECML sets also occasionally get turned the "wrong" way round, usually if they get re-routed into Newcastle  :thumbsup:

Paul

poliss

Newcastle is on the ECML. They would have to leave by the High Level Bridge to get turned round the wrong way.

Sprintex

Err, isn't that pretty much what I said above???  ;D

Re-routed into (or indeed out of) Newcastle, as in not using the regular route of King Edward Bridge, and using the High Level instead  :thumbsup:

Oh, and all this talk of Anglia sets is rather redundant since the original question was about HST formation, Anglia don't have any HSTs, only loco-hauled stock  ;)

Paul

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations