So Who's in Self Isolation?

Started by Mr Sprue, March 23, 2020, 05:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

Quote from: acko22 on March 25, 2020, 06:36:00 PM
Quote from: class37025 on March 25, 2020, 04:51:55 PM

needless to say, I'm sure any NBC instructor would have a field day with this.

Well give we known the virus is there I would have thought she would be wearing full romeo five dress banging mess tins together to warn others at the very least....
:confused1:

don't suppose you're available to run courses for Tesco [and other] numpties are you ?  :laughabovepost:

guest311

exmouthcraig

Dad used to work for Tesco as a Health and Safety officer in their distribution warehouses at DIRFT, needless to say no matter how many times management were told that their plans were back to front and Ill thought out, regardless of how many times they were told a simple changing of methods would of yielded better results the deaf ears were always turned.

You just cant educate some people, and most of those manage Tesco simply because they believe that the WHITE piece of paper held in front of them is BLACK because the man at the top says so!!

Terry is probably still laughing on his yacht!!!

Dorsetmike

Sounds like a manager I knew "Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up!"
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

acko22

Quote from: class37025 on March 25, 2020, 06:46:09 PM
don't suppose you're available to run courses for Tesco [and other] numpties are you ?  :laughabovepost:

As long as it involves a trip the the chamber.... :'(
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

guest311

no probs,

I can still remember my number ...

and I know which way to hold my respirator when I take it off so the instructor doesn't sprinkle ... fullers earth.... in it  :smiley-laughing: :'(

acko22

Quote from: class37025 on March 25, 2020, 07:13:07 PM
no probs,

I can still remember my number ...

and I know which way to hold my respirator when I take it off so the instructor doesn't sprinkle ... fullers earth.... in it  :smiley-laughing: :'(

That why you ask for section battle drills  :sick2:
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

chrism

Quote from: exmouthcraig on March 25, 2020, 06:54:39 PM
Dad used to work for Tesco as a Health and Safety officer in their distribution warehouses at DIRFT, needless to say no matter how many times management were told that their plans were back to front and Ill thought out, regardless of how many times they were told a simple changing of methods would of yielded better results the deaf ears were always turned.
You just cant educate some people, and most of those manage Tesco simply because they believe that the WHITE piece of paper held in front of them is BLACK because the man at the top says so!!

That reminds me of when I worked at a warehouse and we started to get cable arriving on 8' drums, located centrally on the wagons because two were too wide to go side by side. We needed a larger forklift to be able to handle them properly so we ordered one.

The beancounters looked at what we had, looked at the size/weight of the drums and declared that we had 4 tonne forklifts so 4 tonnes shouldn't be a problem and cancelled the order. Our point that the 4 tonne forklift could only lift 4 tonnes at the root of the forks, not the tips fell on deaf ears. After several unsuccessful attempts to convince them, we came up with a plan.

We found out in advance when the Safety Rep was due to pay us a visit and arranged for one of these drums to arrive. Then we arranged that we wouldn't unload it until the rep. was in the yard. While he was watching we ran one forklift in from one side, another in from the other side, lifted the drum, drove the wagon out from the middle and lowered the drum to the ground.

The rep. went through the roof, listened to the story of how we'd been trying to get a larger forklift for months, made a couple of extremely annoyed phone calls - and our order for the bigger forklift was signed that day  :D

guest311

as always,
those that can ....do
those that can't ... manage :smiley-laughing:

themadhippy

Quotewe have introduced a storewide restriction of 3 items per customer on every product line and removed multi-buy promotion
unlike morrisons who have a  3 tins regardless of whats in them limit,so 3 tins of  tomatoes fine,1 tin of tomatoes 1 tin of baked beans  1 tin of mushy peas  and 1 tin  of soup not allowed.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

guest311

I must in all honesty confess  :-[

when I came out of the RAF I joined the TA, the RAF didn't have reserves at that time, and went to Roussillon Barracks , Chichester on my recruits course...

came the day for the chamber, and I had some sort of mental block ...
'no 4'

'T4291244 Staff'  :thumbsup:

'WHAT THE *** WAS THAT?'

oh  :poop: my RAF number  :-X

exit the chamber gasping, coughing, eyes streaming  :-[ :'(

and then I had to do it again, properly, with my new ARMY number

Mr Sprue

Did a journey out today today for provisions and surprisingly Tesco was pretty well stocked, in the trolley of chosen produce and groceries a bottle of gin was carefully placed. Got home and the boss was impressed with my haul!

After all the groceries were stored in their appropriate storage compartments I poured myself a very large G&T for which to my horror I was confronted. Which I replied " Chill out I could be dead next week!" 

Anyone who knows me well will back me up. Live each day as it comes! She knows that as well!

So as each day as you wake don't panic, chill and live the moment. :thumbsup:

port perran

We too ventured into the wilds of Morrisons and Lidl today.
We set off early expecting a bun fight and long queues but......both stores were very quiet and extremely well stocked.
We found everything on our list (which included several items for our very elderly neighbours) except Oxtail Soup (which we were able to pick up in our village shop).
Maybe everyone is now stocked up to the gills.

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

guest311

I explained to SWMBO that alcohol is used to fight the virus, hence all the alcohol wipes and gels.

I merely apply it internally, then as I work, my sweat moves it to my skin, and I am therefore covered.

not sure if she believed me, I headed out to the shed shortly thereafter  :-[

daffy

Waitrose in Lincoln today: long queue to enter the medium-sized store as access was restricted to a small number at any one time, entry only possible for the next in line when someone else left after shopping. Probably no more than 20 shoppers inside as I selected from a good if reduced stock of fresh fruit and veg, meats, etc. I managed to get a good number of things we needed, including a few loo rolls, but tinned veg, bread, pasta and eggs were in short supply, so Tesco would have to be visited too.

Staff were smiling, helpful, kept a creditable social distance at all times and provided great service, including wiping trolley handles as you entered with sanitiser. The lady at the checkout told me they would soon be issuing visors to checkout staff, as well as screens around the till for mutual protection.

All in all an impressive way to handle the situation, and it was noticeable that nearly all shoppers were equally keeping to recommended guidelines in social distancing etc.

Short drive to Tesco's megastore. Time for another reality.

Car park busier, but still not too bad. No queues. No trolley handle cleaning service (I later learnt they had facilities - I didn't see any - to self clean). Staff looked harassed. Public were frequently less than careful in avoiding others. But the biggest problem, which I had to report instore before I left, and to Tesco HQ when I got home, was that floor staff seemed to have no idea about the concept of social distancing, despite a twice repeated announcement over their Tannoy system that Tesco were employing such a program!

With me taking care to keep the largest possible distance between myself and another human being, on at least ten occasions a member of their staff, usually busy shelf filling or moving trolley-loads of goods around, would position themselves very close to me. At one point I was selecting some tinned peas when a young Tesco shelf-filler knelt down right next to me and pushed a tray of tins onto the shelf level with, and right in front of, my knees.

Apoplectic I said loudly to this young lady  "I thought we were all supposed to be keeping a metre or two between us, social distancing?" A bewildered face looked up at me and replied "Um... er.... I don't know what.... um.... are we?" She then continued to push another tray onto the shelf. As I walked away another shelf-filling youngster appeared beside me, walked a pace or so beyond me then turned right across my path to put his tray of tins on a shelf.

By the time I had finished selecting what I needed and had used the self-scan and pay system, I must have been within 12 inches of at least ten Tesco staff members despite me doing my utmost to avoid any such encounters.

The contrast with Waitrose was acute.

When I got home I found an email from Tesco CEO Dave Lewis that told anout all the wonderful things they were doing for me and other customers and their staff to keep us all safe and happy.

I noted that, in this latest email, the words or the concept of social distancing was not mentioned at all. It has been in earlier email updates, but the timing of this omission was perfect.

Needless to say I was on the phone straight away to give one of Mr Lewis's minions my forthright opinion!

Waitrose may be expensive by comparison, but I'd rather pay their price than the one that might be levied by that visit to Tesco.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations