Your Top Ten Favourite Layouts

Started by Bealman, February 11, 2014, 02:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Quote from: Tdm on February 15, 2014, 10:12:38 AM
Any chance of some Links to the layouts mentioned as I don't know them and am unlikely to be able to visit any living in Tenerife. They would probably give me some ideas on how to improve my own layout. Also is it possible to order copies of British Railway Modeller magazine from somewhere to be sent to Tenerife?
Thanks

Most of them you should be able to find via You Tube. That's how I get to see most of them, while you don't get the atmosphere of the whole feel of the layout, you do get the ideas particularly if you use full screen.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

The Cuckoo

The below layouts have been of huge inspiration since coming back to the hobby, I have long forgotten the names of layouts that originally got me hooked but I do remember flicking through old Graham Farish catalogues over and over because of the layouts they used (one was Copenhagen Fields)

Teesbay (OO) A layout from my local club, so much atmosphere in a small space, this is one of the reasons I came back to modelling.

Widnes Vine Yard (OO) Just awesome!

Shaweport (N) My favourite of Steve Farmer’s layouts, although they are all superb.

Banbury (N) It just gets better and better,  a true inspiration!

Ketton Castle (N) Sadly now gone as I didn’t get to see it but I did get to see Horsley Fields at TINGS

Dragonby (N) Although I never got to see it as Acton Main Line.

Imperial Yard  (N)  Pete Latham has built a host of excellent layouts and continues to do so.

Elgin (N) I final got to see it last year and it was worth the wait.

Ring Road  (N) Although I have only ever seen it online or in magazines.

Law Junction (N) I could watch this layout for hours and probably have!  Sadly I didn’t get to see Drem.

That’s 10 off the top of my head although no doubt there are many more and I didn’t even get to 2MM!

Dock Shunter

Being an avid supporter of Micro/Small Layouts my top ten in no particular order.....

1. Littleton Curve -  'N' - Brant Hickman....

2. Highbury Colliery -  '2mm/fs - Jerry Clifford...

3. Catcot Burtle -  '00' - Chris Nevard....

4. Hendre Lane -  '00' - Marc Smith...

5. Mossley Terrace -  '00' - John Teal....

6. Ley Hill -  '2mm/fs - David Long....

7. St Minions - 'EM' - East Riding Finescale Group....

8. Black Sheep Lane - 'N' - Elvinley,4x2.......N Gauge Forum...

9. South Wales Valley Colliery 'N' - mk1gtstu.......N Gauge Forum....

10. Park Hall Halt '00' - Bob Hughes.....

Some of these layouts can be seen on my youtube channel.....

willike1958

Having just read the latest N Gauge Journal, I have to add Barton Road - which figures as the Layout Photo Feature - to my list of favs. What a cracker with its semi-derelict industrial look, subtle tones of greens, browns and greys, and BR blue diesels hauling wagon load freight. Just superb!
Kevin

Newportnobby

Having seen 'Barton Road' several times I must agree with you, Kevin :thumbsup:
It's not just a superb layout but most unusual in its configuration.

Dorsetmike

I'm surprised that there has been no mention of Basingstoke,
http://farnhammrc.org.uk/?page_id=42

Bishops Wearburn,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnUxYc2KbUg

or Alton,

[smg id=14363]

I am however not surprised at Hedges Hill.

In 009 it has to be Tarrant Valley  http://www.wimrail.org.uk/tvr.html

I must say that there are a lot more than 10 excellent layouts on the exhibition circuit, such that limiting choice to ten is almost impossible.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

JasonBz

I found this thread while Googling for something else.

Only ten?  I could do that many per scale/ gauge

For now Ill stick to 2mm scale and N gauge.
In order as I think at this moment - from 10 to number 1 !

Chee Tor by MMRS
Luton Hoo and Chiltern Green by The MRC
Fence Houses
Law Juction by Arran Aird
Acton Mainline
St Ruth
Tucking Mill by Jerry Clifford
Wansbeck Road by Mick Simpson
Barton Road
Ashburton (and Totnes) by John Birkett Smith

JasonBz

I would also add from "internet viewings"

Coombe Junction & Moorswater
and Kyle in a Boxfile
both by Pete Matcham

Frankland

and many of the layouts on here for the sheer joy they bring to the builder and others (including me!) in their construction :)

JasonBz

In 4mm scale, which is more common, and therefore harder to pick from....

Reigton by Steve Flint
East Suffolk Light Railway by Iain Rice and the late Bob Barlow
Buckingham GC
Great Bardfield
New Quay by Ken Gibbons et al
Albion Yard by Paul Marshall Potter
Bleakhouse Road by Tim Maddocks
Woolverstone by Iain Rice
Pendon

and the best, and definatley the most influential of all to me
Petherick by Barry Norman

georgehgv

I have just discovered this thread and read it through, some very interesting nominations but I cannot believe t hat Stapleforth St Stephens hasn't made got a mention!

Also I was hoping to see Peter Charles Fagg in here with Bodgits Bottom ? :-)
Another house move despite "never again" has given me a second floor layout so Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line will be modified and enlarged with siding storage.

My Facebook Diary is Geominster if anyone wants to view it please ask, it is a private group requiring acceptance, thanks.

This then is my third version modified which has been improved from previous efforts and lessons learned.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled. Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Latest Youtube video is here.

https://youtu.be/x50gYil5tAs

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

Newportnobby

Having seen 'Titheridge Junction' at the Leyland Show this year it has moved into my Top 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owsw1okjOpQ

@D1042 Western Princess (I know you'll appreciate this one, Greg)

JasonBz

I seem to have somehow missed out the fabulous Wenfordbridge Goods by John Greenwood in 2mm Finescale from my list - How remiss of me, cos that is one of the best ever, right up there with Petherick to me :)

Chris in Prague

Wenfordbridge Goods? How did I miss knowing about that? It's very close to both Cant Cove and Trepol Bay. 8-) Sigh, a Beattie Well Tank in 2MM Scale. How did he manage that? I'd love one and i'm sure others, like Martin of Trepol Bay would, too.

Petherick, I do know about and really like, too. Truly superb modelling.

Oldman

Only a couple of N gauge for me,
Both of the Japanese layouts that Claude of this parish has been involved in.
Black Sheep Lane

Narrow gauge
There have been a couple of RhB layouts.
Along time ago there was a layout  featured in RM set on an Island and was a military fort.
Other scales
At Crawley show  many years ago there was an incredible layout set in the American desert.

Sorry can't remember names  but the most important one for inspiration has been a micro that included difficult scales to force the perspective.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

JasonBz

I think Petherick was the game-changer for portable scenic railways in the landscape type layouts.... Its scary to think its 30 years old now  :uneasy:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations