Your Top Ten Favourite Layouts

Started by Bealman, February 11, 2014, 02:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

For me I have four favourites because they were the layouts that final got me to take the plunge into railway modelling. In all four it was the details that first caught my eye.

In no particular order;
Diesels in the Duchy (00) based on St Blazey Shed in Cornwall in the days of RfD.
Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD (00) because I love the early HST's.
Ashburton (N) I just liked the small size and simplicity of the whole thing.
Old Warren TMD (N), I just fell for it from first sight.

I've only seen "Diesels in the Duchy" and "Ashburton" in the flesh as it were, "Aberdeen Kirkhill" I came across in one of the mags, while "Old Warren TMD" I found through Google on a different forum when I was looking for N gauge TMD ideas. (Don't give up Chris!).

In fairness, I've come across many a layout since that have given me ideas or made me want to rip up and start again, most have been N gauge layouts but not all. I just can't remember all the names.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

ParkeNd

Quote from: Chris in Prague on February 12, 2014, 09:06:24 PM
Quote from: ParkeNd on February 11, 2014, 09:42:04 AM
A tough one to answer George. But give me a few months and I hope it's going to be the layouts by Chris in Prague, Pete33, and BobWild.

I'm very flattered but Cant Cove won't begin until early summer to have any scenery and I reckon it will take at least until summer 2015 before it begins to look as good as Parkend already does. Cant Cove is really only a small station with a yard and a short branch, nothing like as interesting as Parkend will be.

Get the track down and ballasted, bit of grass, and you're on your way.

Bealman

Quote from: GerryB on February 12, 2014, 09:12:27 AM
My list of layouts that have had an influence on my railway  modeling over the years, in no particular order:

Little Long Drag (EM) David Jenkinson
Yatton Junction (EM)
Kingswear (The EM gauge version)
Petherwick (EM) Barry Norman
Faringdon (EM) Stephen Williams
The Buckingham Branch (EM) Rev. Peter Denny

Ditchling Green (O) Gordon Gravett

Chee Tor (2mm)
Calverdale (N) Andy Calvert
Nether Stowey (N) Andy Calvert

I managed to see Nether Stowey when it was exhibited at Derby some years ago, and it was while chatting to Andy that I first started thinking about the advantages to be gained from modeling in the smaller scale.

Sorry there are no links, the above have either been seen at exhibitions or in magazines over the years.

Gerry

Thanks for the post, Gerry. I think you and I must have the same collection of RM magazines!

And yes, the work of the late Andy Calvert is inspirational for anyone working in N gauge.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

Quote from: newportnobby on February 12, 2014, 08:57:10 PM
Hope I'm not breaking the rules by choosing an 11th, but a superb example of the N gauge modeller's art is Whiteswan's Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney.
A layout to aspire to :thumbsup:

You're not breaking the rules, Mick.... total agreement here!  :thumbsup:

George

Pete @ EGLM

Stapleforth Mainline.  But I'm a bit biased as having been allowed to operate it!

Pete @ EGLM (muddy & windy)

Claude Dreyfus

Shin Izu - this layout introduced me to Japanese model railways. I used to call in to Tony's shop on my journeys down to college in Devon - inspiration.

Buckingham Great Central - I was really lucky to stay at Mr Denny's Vicarage on family holidays (they ran a B&B there) and experience this masterpiece first-hand. His garden railway was also beautiful.

Ringroad - lots of scratch built structures in N gauge providing lots of interesting little details.

Tre Ponti - I love this Tuscan H0 layout. It seems to have appeared in a few shows along with Yamanouchi Osaka. I never tire of its atmosphere.

Pulborough - my home station perfectly captured in EM. Marsh number livery predominates on a hugely entertaining layout to watch.

Via Mala - an H0m(?) Rhatische Bahn layout from the 1980s. Lots of great scenery and interesting track work.

West Bay - never heard of it? I'm not surprised, but this small 00 terminus layout set in 2000+ Dorset set me on the road to build Kanjiyama by opening my eyes to simple design and operation.

Hedges Hill cutting - I like units, and I like atmosphere. This layout has both!

Banbury - another layout I seem to exhibit alongside a few times...doing so this Saturday. Again units, but this time based on a real place.

Rowfrant Grange - back to LBSCR and the fascination with earlier railways

Bealman

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on February 13, 2014, 12:00:38 AM

Buckingham Great Central - I was really lucky to stay at Mr Denny's Vicarage on family holidays (they ran a B&B there) and experience this masterpiece first-hand. His garden railway was also beautiful.

Wow. You have certainly captured my attention!  :admiration: :admiration: :admiration:

George

Dock Shunter

Quote from: Ben A on February 12, 2014, 01:13:07 AM

Also, a few years ago I saw Steve Farmer's layout.  I can't remember the name but it had kits of scratch built OTP and engineers' stock, and that inspired me to have a go myself.

I think possibly the layout you are thinking about Ben is "Parkhouse"...... :thumbsup:

At 3:05 on the video....

Model Railway Exhibition 2010 Pt 5

4x2

Here's my list in no particular order...

Barlow - N gauge
Chee Tor - 2mm
Elvinley - N gauge (i'm a bit biased here as I get to play on a regular basis !)
Black Sheep Lane - N gauge (can I vote for my own layout ?)
Hedges Hill - N gauge
Walker Marine - 00 gauge
Rowlands castle - 00 gauge
Frankland - N gauge
Corris - 009
Catcott Burtle - 00 gauge (finescale)

If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Bealman

Yeah... I've always had a softspot for 009 (I built a rabbit warren 009 layout back in the 70s), and that Corris is a nice layout. The scale could see a bit of a resurgence with Peco producing stock as well as track now, and the supposedly forthcoming L&B 2-6-2T locomotive by Heljan!

4x2

Quote from: Bealman on February 13, 2014, 01:49:16 AM
Yeah... I've always had a softspot for 009 (I built a rabbit warren 009 layout back in the 70s), and that Corris is a nice layout. The scale could see a bit of a resurgence with Peco producing stock as well as track now, and the supposedly forthcoming L&B 2-6-2T locomotive by Heljan!
Planning and saving.....  ;)
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

willike1958

My N gauge favourites in no particular order having seen them in the flesh are: 

• Parkhouse
  • Moorcock Junction
  • Stoney Lane
  • Kings Park
  • Hedges Hill Cutting
  • Drem

My particular favs from this site are:

• Frankland
  • Horseblock Lane
  • Lofthole

I also look to 2mm Finescale as a source of inspiration and found the following particularly interesting:

• Mayfield Street
  • Highbury Colliery
  • St Ruth
  • Queen Street Goods

Sorry, that's more than ten but there's so much good stuff out there and I'm sure that I've still overlooked quite a few...

ParkeNd

Although OO I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned The Gresley Beat. It was constantly surrounded at Warley so must have some fans.

Bealman

Yes indeed. It is an awesome layout and I believe Roger Daltry lead singer of The Who had input.

Tdm

Any chance of some Links to the layouts mentioned as I don't know them and am unlikely to be able to visit any living in Tenerife. They would probably give me some ideas on how to improve my own layout. Also is it possible to order copies of British Railway Modeller magazine from somewhere to be sent to Tenerife?
Thanks

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations