The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Sadly this has been going on for a few years but appears to be getting worse lately. Our local emporium has stopped going to shows as they need about 5 people behind a smallish stand just to prevent the light fingered  :censored: doing what they like. In such a case their shop is denuded of experienced sales people for the duration of the show. Not good. Not good at all.

crewearpley40

vigilance is required. one will not stop these thieves. not sure if security, alarms, will help

if i was exhibiting i would not leave anything unattended
and maybe cards or a5 sheets and photos and the customer has to ask and show the cash before the item is handed.  i share the views lawrence,mick

talisman56

Quote from: Skyline2uk on June 29, 2019, 06:54:41 PM
All the above "Turn it off and turn it on again" talk was doing me no good yesterday with my 6-month old PC...

Dam thing was a zombie and refused to turn on. The little LED behind the power button was on but the machine just sat there doing nothing.

This morning, having left it unplugged over night, tried again. Nada.

Then I unplugged EVERYTHING (monitor cable and speakers) and picked up the machine (not that hard, it's an Intel NUC, look it up  ;)), and plugged just the power back in.

Like Robbie Williams it rose again.

Been fine ever since.

Fingers crossed.

Skyline2uk

This was a thing when I was employed developing systems and keeping them running. Sometimes a Power Supply get into a 'lock on' situation, the power is off but whetever is done it won't switch on. The cure was to switch off and disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer and leave it for half an hour or so to allow the stored charge in the capacitors to dissipate. After the power cord is reconnected and power re-applied, all was well. If not, then a new PSU was prescribed...

With your situation, it was one of the other components that had this issue, I would keep an eye on them to see if you have other issues which will require action taken.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Skyline2uk

Quote from: talisman56 on June 30, 2019, 10:22:43 PM
Quote from: Skyline2uk on June 29, 2019, 06:54:41 PM
All the above "Turn it off and turn it on again" talk was doing me no good yesterday with my 6-month old PC...

Dam thing was a zombie and refused to turn on. The little LED behind the power button was on but the machine just sat there doing nothing.

This morning, having left it unplugged over night, tried again. Nada.

Then I unplugged EVERYTHING (monitor cable and speakers) and picked up the machine (not that hard, it's an Intel NUC, look it up  ;)), and plugged just the power back in.

Like Robbie Williams it rose again.

Been fine ever since.

Fingers crossed.

Skyline2uk

This was a thing when I was employed developing systems and keeping them running. Sometimes a Power Supply get into a 'lock on' situation, the power is off but whetever is done it won't switch on. The cure was to switch off and disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer and leave it for half an hour or so to allow the stored charge in the capacitors to dissipate. After the power cord is reconnected and power re-applied, all was well. If not, then a new PSU was prescribed...

With your situation, it was one of the other components that had this issue, I would keep an eye on them to see if you have other issues which will require action taken.

Thanks for that I shall indeed keep a close eye on it.

I was recommended this PC by a good friend (it replaces 2 laptops) and he is on standby for any issues  ;D

Skyline2uk

guest311

just been watching the news, and there was an item on a rescue off the Dorset coast .....

two young d**kh***s decided to jump off a harbour wall into the sea ......

never mind all the publicity about DON'T DO THIS ......

result, swept out to sea, inshore rescue scrambled to save them, and then a chopper to fly them to hospital for checkups  :veryangry:

so, inshore rescue not available for a real emergency ....
chopper not available for a real emergency ......
overworked NHS hospital with added workload ......

:censored:

anybody else in favour of presenting a BIG BILL to teach the little s***s a lesson ?

obviously too stupid to be allowed to reproduce, so I'd say leave the stupid sods to drown.

Newportnobby

Present invoice to the parents and give the kids a criminal record they can go through life with

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 01, 2019, 09:14:18 PM
give the kids a criminal record they can go through life with

Sorry Mick, you can not do that these days - it will stunt their growth or some such namby pamby excuse for spoiling their future life.  >:(
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 01, 2019, 09:14:18 PM
Present invoice to the parents and give the kids a criminal record they can go through life with

totally agree re invoice, IIRC I remember years ago reading somewhere how much it cost to fly a chopper per hour, and it wasn't cheap

as for the cretins, how about mooring several hundred yards off shore in a small dinghy, as rescue for further d**kh***s, give them a box of survival rations, a packet of wet-wipes and a roll of plastic bags, you ex squaddies will I am sure remember what they were for  ;D

they might get the message after a few days, and nights.

acko22

Quote from: class37025 on July 01, 2019, 09:29:34 PM
how much it cost to fly a chopper per hour, and it wasn't cheap
The helicopters the Coastguard use are similar to RAF/Navy Merlins and they are £9,000 per hour to have in the air  :goggleeyes:

Quote from: class37025 on July 01, 2019, 09:29:34 PM
give them a box of survival rations, a packet of wet-wipes and a roll of plastic bags, you ex squaddies will I am sure remember what they were for  ;D

Well the rations fair enough, but cant use single use plastic bags we want to save on pollution, however that waste is biodegradable so just hang over the edge and supply some fish food!  Oh and to clean things up not like there would be a shortage of water to clean with!  :P
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

guest311

do you still get the

biscuits, square, dog in the big tins ?

believe the proper term was 'hard-tack' but even a hungry gsd used to have a job with them  :no:

stevewalker

Quote from: class37025 on July 01, 2019, 06:30:30 PM
two young d**kh***s decided to jump off a harbour wall into the sea ......

I'm not sure if this is the same story, but there was one in the papers earlier today and, if it is the same one, the second one jumped in to try and save the first, which changes the picture somewhat - at least for him.

guest311

may well be, in which case I'm happy to stand corrected.

mind you, as we all know, reporters, both papers and tv, are never ones to let the truth get in the way of a story.

so, one idiot in the dinghy, with a tin of dog biscuits, while mummy and daddy sell their house to pay the bill.

Tank

No swearing on here please, even if covered up with *****.  Thank you!

guest311

my apologies, o great leader  :-[

crewearpley40

i was speaking to a colleague at work, who is much respected and having dealt with a person who was not pleasant and feltlike cursing etc, i took two minutes , deep breath, water. my colleague said " sometimes it helps to change the way we say things or phrase things ". it gave me food for thought.

and i was not in the wrong. i said to a man " please take a seat, i cannot give answer as a decision is being taken " ( following an event i would rather not repeat and i realised this man ' s behaviour was not going to change. " an announcement will be made shortly sir " i said for the second time. A ) to mine and my colleague 's amazement this man who could not leave alone watching us deal with a tragic event and b ) take no or c ) gratify himself watching - walked away.

see how my colleague 's words made the difference

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations