Slow speed running - some test results

Started by longbow, September 14, 2016, 09:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbow

I've been testing the slow speed running of recent additions to my loco fleet on my test track (an 11-inch radius circle). Locos are all freshly run in, running forwards.

Slowest scale speeds achieved for a smooth continuous lap: M7 - 8.3mph, Standard 5MT - 5.7mph, Type 22 - 2.7mph.

I'd be interested to hear if these are typical and whether I have bought peaches or lemons.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

longbow

Thanks - forgot that important detail.

All DC at present. But open to DCC later if that improves low speed performance.

I'm planning a terminus layout operated in real life by M7s and Ivatt 2MTs hence my interest in whether these old models in particular are going to be up to a lot of slow speed work. Forum posts suggest not unless I'm especially lucky.

Newportnobby

I think the difficulty with the M7 and the Ivatt will be found in trying a slow start and smooth acceleration as they tend to take off like scalded cats! :uneasy:

Dorsetmike

If you add a resistor in the track feed it calms them down considerably. Put a switch across the resistor so you can short it out for other locos.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Dr Al

The 5MT should easily be capable of as good or better than the diesel - it has a significantly superior quality coreless motor.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

longbow

You would think so but presumably gearing and driving wheel diameter also has an effect. The Type 22 has noticeably lower gearing. Speed at full power: Type 22 111mph, 5MT 149mph, M7 249mph+ (and not even full power!).

Thanks for the resistor idea DorsetMike. I'm from Dorset myself - that's Corfe Castle I presume?

Dr Al

My 5MTs perform markedly better than 5.7mph, which does imply yours may not be optimal.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

silly moo

Would the make and type of controller affect results in any way? Don't some locos improve after running in?

Chris Morris

Quote from: silly moo on September 15, 2016, 06:15:27 AM
Would the make and type of controller affect results in any way? Don't some locos improve after running in?
This is certainly the case. My H&M walkabout (which Is my favourite controller despite its age) is fantastic controlling wild locos such as the Dapol 45xx but the 64xx with its coreless motor just will not run smoothly at low speeds. If I use a simple  Gaugemaster handheld the 45xx is much harder to run gently but the 64xx is nice and smooth at slow speeds.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

silly moo

I've got the cheap bog standard Bachmann controller that comes in their DC sets   and am surprised at how well it works. I bought extras off eBay.

Newportnobby

The controllers Silly Moo refer to are actually surprisingly good for control of locos although they have no other function e.g. accessories (oh - and don't use the track connectors. Find something more permanent)

Remember also the state of the track cleanliness wise will have a huge effect on how locos run, but that's an entire different thread.

silly moo

Not to mention wheel cleanliness  :D

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

lil chris

This is the slow running on my 4MT fitted with a CT chip, this is has it comes too, not even tried to program it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAIXa8E-XKY&feature=youtu.be
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations