BT Blacklisting emails from N gauge forum

Started by austinbob, November 10, 2014, 06:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Tank has informed us of the following problem...

'BT have decided that this site needs to be blacklisted from their email servers, and so our email notifications won't get through.

If you have a BT account, please can you notify them that this site is safe!

Many thanks,
Tank'

I have just complained to BT about this. I hope many other BT account holders will do the same.

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Oldun

:o Seems a bit strange that ???

My computer runs 'BT net protect in conjunction with McAfee'. On this system at the top of each page/site you
are on, you either get a 'red banner' as stay away and is blocked, 'yellow banner' as a warning, 'grey banner' as
safe but needs more feedback and 'green banner' meaning totally safe.

THE N GAUGE FORUM HAS A GREEN BANNER.

I will be contacting BT about this discrepancy in their system and ask for an explanation.

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

REGP

Hi Bob

More than happy to fire of a complaint but cant find an obvious way via my email account. :veryangry:

How did you send your complaint in?

Ray

Oldun

Got my complaint lodged by calling 0800 800 150 (8am to 8pm)

Explained the situation with the emails AND informed them about their own security
program giving the N Gauge site the 'all clear'.

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

austinbob

Quote from: Only Me on November 10, 2014, 07:36:51 PM
Try this

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46768/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDE1NjQ4MDc1L3NpZC9Rak5qazU3bQ%3D%3D#allowingsites

You just have to be joking!!

Can you see any normal human being going through this or even understanding what its about?

I just complained to BT and asked THEM to sort it out. I don't recall asking them to ban N gauge emails!!

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: REGP on November 10, 2014, 07:30:25 PM
Hi Bob

More than happy to fire of a complaint but cant find an obvious way via my email account. :veryangry:

How did you send your complaint in?

Ray

Ray

What I did was..
1. log into MyBT account
2. Scroll to bottom of page and click on the 'Contact BT' in small print
3. Click on 'Feedback or Complain'
4. Click on 'Other technical issues' bottom left
5. Click on 'Email us'
6. Fill in the form with your complaint details - make sure you say that this site is safe and give url for N gauge forum. Where it says 'What do you need to email us about' select 'Other'

Hope this helps

They don't make it easy do they!!!

Bob Austin

REGP

Hi Bob

Thanks for that, Ive just spent about half an hour on their live technical assistance chat.

They were quite adamant that they BT do not block anything their end.

After running a couple of checks they asked me to send myself an email, which I did.

Low and behold an email from the Forum also comes through informing me of your post above.

I don't know what to make of that,  ??? but I'll leave it for now and see if I continue to get emails from the Forum.

Ray

austinbob

Quote from: REGP on November 10, 2014, 08:46:25 PM
Hi Bob

Thanks for that, Ive just spent about half an hour on their live technical assistance chat.

They were quite adamant that they BT do not block anything their end.

After running a couple of checks they asked me to send myself an email, which I did.

Low and behold an email from the Forum also comes through informing me of your post above.

I don't know what to make of that,  ??? but I'll leave it for now and see if I continue to get emails from the Forum.

Ray

Hi Ray

Maybe Tank has misunderstood the problem/non problem

Sorry if I/we have set people on a wild goose chase.

Bob Austin

Tank

It is just the emails, not the website itself.

Here is an example from your email Austinbob....

----------------

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

**********@btinternet.com
    SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<tank> SIZE=3970:
    host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk [65.20.0.49]: 522 IP REPUTATION BAD  (please check for IP address listing on reputation services)

---------------------

Other emails I've had also say that we are blacklisted, blocked etc.  It's gone on for a few days now.  The hosting company have asked BT to take the blacklisting away numerous times, which they have, and it returns again days later.  They asked me to complain direct to BT, which I have.

austinbob

Quote from: Tank on November 10, 2014, 09:13:55 PM

----------------

host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk [65.20.0.49]: 522 IP REPUTATION BAD  (please check for IP address listing on reputation services)

---------------------

Other emails I've had also say that we are blacklisted, blocked etc.  It's gone on for a few days now.  The hosting company have asked BT to take the blacklisting away numerous times, which they have, and it returns again days later.  They asked me to complain direct to BT, which I have.

Thanks Tank

Hope it gets sorted soon. Is there anything else we can do to clear this up??

Bob Austin

EtchedPixels

BT draw their blacklisting data from external databases. If your host happens to be sharing with someone bad then it'll keep getting blacklisted.

Looking here
http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

with the www.ngaugeforum.co.uk address shows clean, but it depends whether the notification email is routed via something else

Your email seems to go out via

10.1.7.155 (internal addressing)
94.126.40.140 (webpool1.lcn.com)
94.126.40.188 (outscan2.ai270.net)
94.126.40.182 (out-mta15.ai270.net)

and the end of the chain is on the s**tlist for several providers so will get rejected, marked down or simply discarded.

You need to discuss this with your hosting company, BT is just inheriting data from SORBS and other spam filter databases

(Tell them its blacklisted on sorbs, uceprotectl1, mailspike, lashpack and lvmsip)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Tank

Many thanks Alan.  I'll keep on emailing LCN then.  :thumbsup:

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on November 10, 2014, 09:19:22 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 10, 2014, 09:13:55 PM

----------------

---------------------

Thanks Tank

Hope it gets sorted soon. Is there anything else we can do to clear this up??

Just had a call from BT - a bit difficult to understand what the guy was saying but I think the jist of it was that they don't block emails from 'normal' sites and they don't have a blacklist.

Bob Austin

DesertHound

Quote from: austinbob on November 10, 2014, 06:48:00 PM

'BT have decided that this site needs to be blacklisted from their email servers, and so our email notifications won't get through.

Many thanks,
Tank'

I have just complained to BT about this. I hope many other BT account holders will do the same.

Simple guys, all you BT customers e-mail in to BT and let them know that if this isn't sorted, you'll return the gesture by blacklisting them  :D
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

austinbob

Quote from: DesertHound on November 11, 2014, 07:56:05 PM
Quote from: austinbob on November 10, 2014, 06:48:00 PM

Many thanks,
Tank'

Simple guys, all you BT customers e-mail in to BT and let them know that if this isn't sorted, you'll return the gesture by blacklisting them  :D

Desrthouund - I think it might be a bit premature to complain en masse to BT as my feedback from them so far is that they don't think its them causing the problem. I quote

'Hi Mr Austin,

Thank you for contacting BT complaints team. I will be handling your complaints case and will make sure that you are getting a proper resolution from our end.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

As per the conversation we had on the phone I check and find that BT blocks only the illegal and government banned web sites. As you are trying to work on a genuine web site you should not be having any problem.'

Its probably best we let tank find the source of the problem.

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations