Demise of the franchise

Started by Madann01, January 20, 2020, 07:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Quote from: Madann01 on January 21, 2020, 10:06:05 AM
Quote from: bigmac on January 21, 2020, 08:11:56 AM
Quote from: railsquid on January 20, 2020, 11:41:12 PM
I must admit I'm glad I have no interest in the British railway scene after ca. 1991, it's all very confusing  :o

i have no interest in the post steam era. i think blue diesels looked awful.
Without trying to re-open any debate between modellers of the steam era and those who prefer modern day,. It must be nice to build a layout set in a fixed time period, and i really do admire those who do spend the time researching and recreating the past and knowing exactly the locos and stock that were running on that particular line, kudos to you all  :thumbsup:
  However I was born into a time when steam was in rapid decline, and them blue diesels ugly or not, were part of my growing up, i too have no interest in modelling that era and I would like to be able to run trains as up to date as possible. Without any solid research I think the closest i  can get to achieving this goal is around 3-5 years behind, given the readily available models on sale currently.

My comment was meant not in the sense that "era X is better than era Y". It seems any given era is difficult to "get right" at the best of times, and the "franchise era" seems to be very extreme in terms of operators and liveries chopping and changing about (seems one week it's all "Connex Great Southern Arrivelio", next week nationalised "GWSR" then the week after "DB Schenker Wessex") which must be an absolute nightmare for manufacturers and modellers alike to try and keep up with. So as my interest in and exposure to the UK railway scene fell away very rapidly around 1991, speaking entirely personally I'm relieved I have no temptation in that direction. But best of luck to everyone, whatever their preferences may be  :thumbsup:

red_death

Model manufacturers are always likely to be behind the real railway for the simple reason that they have to wait for the new designs to be designed, approved, then get agreement to produce them and then design the model artwork, get sample(s) approved and then get it into production - even if you have an empty factory doing nothing that could easily take at least 6 months and conceivably much longer!

Cheers Mike

crewearpley40

Would agree with newportnobby and railsquid.i just struggled to keep up to date and take my hat off to those who model whatever are suits them. I'm a 70s / 80s modeller. But love the green, maroon, crimson / cream etc of the transition period. Today despite working on the railways, I have little interest in ever updating liveries some of which look awful but that's only my opinion

Madann01

Quote from: red_death on January 21, 2020, 11:38:23 AM
Model manufacturers are always likely to be behind the real railway for the simple reason that they have to wait for the new designs to be designed, approved, then get agreement to produce them and then design the model artwork, get sample(s) approved and then get it into production - even if you have an empty factory doing nothing that could easily take at least 6 months and conceivably much longer!

Cheers Mike
Quote from: crewearpley40 on January 21, 2020, 11:40:54 AM
Would agree with newportnobby and railsquid.i just struggled to keep up to date and take my hat off to those who model whatever are suits them. I'm a 70s / 80s modeller. But love the green, maroon, crimson / cream etc of the transition period. Today despite working on the railways, I have little interest in ever updating liveries some of which look awful but that's only my opinion

I refer to an earlier post to suggesting some sort of neutral liveries, be made available, that way the life time of the model will far outweigh the many changes to the liveries that will inevitably occur to the stock during their lifetime of service. HST prime example 40+ years of service with many liveries, and still going and nor looking dated.
Hats off to Hornby for striking whilst the iron is hot :admiration:

red_death

Quote from: Madann01 on January 21, 2020, 12:11:24 PM
  I refer to an earlier post to suggesting some sort of neutral liveries, be made available, that way the life time of the model will far outweigh the many changes to the liveries that will inevitably occur to the stock during their lifetime of service.

I'm not sure what you mean about neutral liveries?

Hornby aren't producing neutral liveries - they are producing their Pendolino in the new livery (which wasn't finalised until very shortly before the franchise started!). We delayed the second run of Pendolinos for precisely this reason ie that we knew there was a new livery coming along and it is better to be able to offer the new livery when we can arrange a production slot.

Cheers Mike

Madann01

Please Mike, i mean no criticism of what you are achieving and indeed have achieved, indeed I am eagerly awaiting  the chance to purchase a  of Pendelinos' When the time comes regardless of livery, A neutral livery without any franchising would help insure that any future change in livery would not date the model and would look in keeping for years to come.
. My comments regarding Hornby striking whist the iron is hot relates to them getting  models sold whilst the livery is current as there is always the danger of  the franchise being changed again in a few years time given the current climate surrounding franchising in general,
it must be a real headache  for you in planming for the future.

Regards
Mark

themadhippy

what we need is an ultra thin lcd display wrap  instead of vinyl,dial in the livery you want,however not sure if the lcd refresh rate could keep up with the rate franchises seem change
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations