CJM Class 26

Started by 37214, May 11, 2020, 09:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

During a recent spell of furlough, I bought a copy of Model Rail magazine and another magazine with all the new model railway items available. I was amazed by the new N-gauge models available!

As I mention in a another recent post, back when I started modelling in 1991, there wasn't that much available for the "modern" railway modeller in N-gauge but what was available was a series of resin kits that could be had to put onto commercially available chassis.

I got very excited when CJM released this Class 26 as it was ideal for the layout that I was planning. I completed one in Engineering "Dutch" livery and picked up this bargain at a Warley show (I think it was either 1994/1995) but it has languished in the loft since 1999.

The chassis for this kit would be a Farish Class 33 with a bit of modification. Now that there is a Class 26 commercially available, does anyone build these anymore?

The only thing I can find on-line for Chris Marchant and CJM is that he was running down to retirement, anyone know any more?

njee20

Yes Chris announced his pending retirement, but then unfortunately had some health issues which brought that rapidly forward. A real loss to the hobby. He's a very helpful chap, and many of his models are absolutely stunning.

Quote from: njee20 on May 11, 2020, 09:12:03 PM
Yes Chris announced his pending retirement, but then unfortunately had some health issues which brought that rapidly forward. A real loss to the hobby. He's a very helpful chap, and many of his models are absolutely stunning.

I remember speaking to him a few times at the Warley shows at the NEC in the 1990's. I think I bought this kit direct from Chris at one of those shows.

njee20

I emailed him about a 67 I bought and he was very quick to reply, and very helpful.

I have a permanent ebay search for his models; mainly in the hope a Hanson 59 comes up!

Skyline2uk

Quote from: njee20 on May 15, 2020, 09:39:30 PM
I emailed him about a 67 I bought and he was very quick to reply, and very helpful.

I have a permanent ebay search for his models; mainly in the hope a Hanson 59 comes up!

Ditto, but original ARC and National Power.

Although at the moment, I would rather neither turned up  :(

Skyline2uk

Bob G

The preferred chassis at that time for a class 26 kit (or for a better 33 chassis) was a Kato chassis.
I've no idea if there are any still available.

My best thought would be sell it on EBay - things are going for silly prices right now, so you'd probably get a good price for the kit, especially if it is an untouched CJM product.

Bob

martyn

I built one of these many years ago, on one of the last Poole made cl 33 chassis; still runs well, but I have had some slight bowing of the sides at the bottom, which makes some platform clearances a bit tight.....

Martyn

Quote from: Bob G on May 16, 2020, 10:57:36 AM
The preferred chassis at that time for a class 26 kit (or for a better 33 chassis) was a Kato chassis.
I've no idea if there are any still available.

My best thought would be sell it on EBay - things are going for silly prices right now, so you'd probably get a good price for the kit, especially if it is an untouched CJM product.

Bob

The kit hasn't been touched, all parts as original. I also have a Class 33 to use as the chassis.

This was my second CJM 26, I built one in "Dutch" engineers livery using a second hand 33 chassis; it ran well but as with all my Farish locos, has been in storage for over 20 years. I'm in the process of getting the necessary tools and oils to service, clean and oil all the old Poole Farish locos and see if they run.

I might end up building this kit and painting it blue but if not, I will advertise it on this forum first.

Quote from: martyn on May 16, 2020, 11:12:08 AM
I built one of these many years ago, on one of the last Poole made cl 33 chassis; still runs well, but I have had some slight bowing of the sides at the bottom, which makes some platform clearances a bit tight.....

Martyn

As per my other post, I did build one and it looks reasonable, probably weather it a bit to  cover over my lack of painting skills.

Having just test run my first new DCC Class 37, there is a temptation to buy a new one (or two).

Ben A

Hi there,

Welcome back to the hobby.

I do not know if it matters to you, but while the CJM 26 bodyshell (mastered by Bernard Taylor) is very good, the chassis is dimensionally inaccurate.

To save money, Poole Farish reused most diesel mechanisms, and the "Class 33" chassis was originally designed for the Class 25 diesel.  The BRCW family (Classes 26, 27 and 33) had (from memory) 10' bogie wheelbase, while the 25 is only 8'6, so the bogies are significantly shorter than they should be.

To me this spoils the look of the model, however of course YMMV.

Cheers

Ben A.

ScottishModeller

Hi all,

Just remember that just because an item appears to carry a high price, that does not mean it reached that value at sale.

With CJM stuff on eBay this is particularly true. If the item does not sell, then the price is too high.

There are some specific dealers on there that seem to think that CJM stuff is worth its weight in gold!

Thanks
Phil H

Thanks
Phil Holman

crewearpley40

Quote from: Ben A on May 16, 2020, 05:23:51 PM
Hi there,

Welcome back to the hobby.

I do not know if it matters to you, but while the CJM 26 bodyshell (mastered by Bernard Taylor) is very good, the chassis is dimensionally inaccurate.

To save money, Poole Farish reused most diesel mechanisms, and the "Class 33" chassis was originally designed for the Class 25 diesel.  The BRCW family (Classes 26, 27 and 33) had (from memory) 10' bogie wheelbase, while the 25 is only 8'6, so the bogies are significantly shorter than they should be.

To me this spoils the look of the model, however of course YMMV.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hello Ben, @Ben A

I didn't know this about the 33 chassis, thank you for the info. I was happy with the CJM kit when I built it as there wasn't anything like it commercially available at the time. I'm happy that the model is a good representation of the real thing, sometimes I have to accept compromises otherwise I would have to go without.

I would be interested to hear your opinion of the new Class 26's available, are they a better model?

Bob G

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations