My local bus stop

Started by Bealman, December 12, 2017, 11:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Wondered if that may be controversial  :)

Fair enough, obviously don't know what they're like where you are George, but it seems they're always slow, sporadic, and not going anywhere useful whenever I look! I get using London buses (although I never know where they're going), but outside of the capital (and other major cities to be fair) they always seem totally useless!

colpatben

Quote from: Bealman on December 13, 2017, 10:16:37 AM

Yes indeed, mate. The Police here are like locusts and will put you in the lockup for smelling of alcohol.

Therefore I do my driving during the day to get stuff done, then put me car to bed about 4ish and catch buses from there on.

Very sensible George so you will never catch this one for being over 0.05.  :beers:

We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Stuart Down Under

Actually the big story about bus stops in NSW, where the photo was taken, is they are in the process of replacing the internationally recognised icon of the front of a bus with the white letter B on a blue circle. Railway stations are marked with a T on an orange circle, trams (light rail) are an L on red and ferries are an F on green. The new metro rail service will  be an M on aqua (because they are running out of colours). It is sad that an international city like Sydney has decided to abandon international symbols and introduce English capital letters for the various service modes. To add confusion, at busy interchange points, the various bus stops are differentiated London-style by letter codes, so the B stops are adorned with multiple other letters. Something of a dog's breakfast.
:hmmm:
PS: No free bus passes in NSW. Us oldies have to pay a max of $2.50 per day, but it does cover B, T, L and F for a range of about 150km around Sydney.
:beers:

daversmth

I was going to get on the bus
But it was too much fuss
Then I thought of the train.
But that was a real pain.
Next up was the car.
That was a step to far.
I even thought of my cycle.
But had lent it to my brother, Michael.

It's the ballast.
I blame it on the ballast.
It's driving me nuts and I'm cracking up ....

Ballast every day
Leads the mind astray.

:bounce:

MalcolmInN

Quote from: njee20 on December 13, 2017, 10:04:37 AM
Does anyone still use buses?! Aside from the olds with free travel I mean!
Quote from: austinbob on December 13, 2017, 10:10:52 AM
I'm an 'old' njee and I occasionally use the bus, with my free bus pass,
I'm an old and I have not bothered to get a free pass, in fact I'm not sure I can remember! what a bus looks like :(

MinZaPint

Quote from: Bealman on December 13, 2017, 10:16:37 AM

Yes indeed, mate. The Police here are like locusts and will put you in the lockup for smelling of alcohol.

Therefore I do my driving during the day to get stuff done, then put me car to bed about 4ish and catch buses from there on.

How else are we supposed to go on our weekly "Cultural  :beers: Tours"?

Fortunately we have a good local bus service  :thumbsup: Oh and in case you were wondering I'm the fat one front right.
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Intercity

not completely related but the Rail company I work for is a bus company (and management thinks everything can run like a bus), so I guess I am on a bus everyday well according to management I am.

joe cassidy

Quote from: MinZaPint on December 13, 2017, 04:15:45 PM
How else are we supposed to go on our weekly "Cultural  :beers: Tours"?

Fortunately we have a good local bus service  :thumbsup: Oh and in case you were wondering I'm the fat one front right.

Looks like the guy in corner at the back is drinking a pint of mild.

Does mild exist in Dorset ?

Best regards,

Joe

Train Waiting

Yes, I do.  Very handy indeed to get to and from the station.  Both for business and 'off-duty' travel.

Not eligible for free travel, but I don't mind paying (it's cheaper than parking as well - if a space could be found).

And, if the homeward journey has a  :pint: - no problem at all.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

port perran

We probably would use the bus iff it was a bit more reliable. We often see people standing at the bus stop in our village for up to 45 mins or so.
We do use the park and ride every time we pop into Truro though.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

I use the park & ride if I go into Preston as it's £1.50 return, far cheaper than parking in the city. Just 7 months to go and I'll get my bus pass. Huzzah! :claphappy: :claphappy:
There has to be some benefit to getting decrepit :-[

ColinH

Think you still have to pay for Park & Ride services though as Bus Pass is not valid on them. Also where I live not valid until after 9.30a.m. Believe some local authorities have slightly different rules.
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Bealman

Looks like the trolley bus came!  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Exciting times at George's local bus stop!

No abandoned trolleys at mine, which is actually the terminus of two lines, but it is manned by two baton-waving dudes whose job is to assist the buses to turn around in a space not really big enough for a bus to turn round in.

JonHarbour

Do for work every day - no train service from where I live to the centre of Sydney, so my only option is to ride the motorway bus for an hour (an hour plus most days) each way!

The good news is we do get a train line from mid 2019! Introducing the Sydney Metro

Still planning a layout...

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations