Fuel for the Car

Started by port perran, April 04, 2020, 10:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Don't know about anyone else but I'm currently getting about 4 weeks to the gallon from my car  :D

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

bridgiesimon

yeah, 2 weeks self isolation certainly saved some fule for us here, back to work again now though.

Best wishes
simon

Newportnobby

Problem is, last time I filled my Siesta up fuel was at least 10p per litre more than it is now :'(

Philip.

I've used mine once in the last 2 weeks, and that was to get the dogs meds, and apart from wiping seagull s*** off it, it's being very neglected.  ::)

Garyf

I've SORN'd my car as we don't need two cars as we barely use one! Might as well get some tax back.

Gary

njee20

Went to use mine the other day and the battery was flat. I've done about 20 trips of 200 yards ferrying boxes for a house move, then it sat for a week and it would appear that's kiled it. Mildly concerning as, that abuse aside, it's a brand new battery, rather hoping it's not the alternator!

themadhippy

QuoteI've done about 20 trips of 200 yards ferrying boxes for a house move, then it sat for a week
if your starting and stopping the engine every time youve more likely just drained the battery,seem to recall the figure of 20 minutes running to replace the energy used in starting.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

njee20

Yep, that is my assumption. But obviously right now jump starting it and "taking it for a drive" to charge isn't exactly essential travel!

I suspect the car's just punishing me as I was looking to replace it, and then it's just lugged loads of boxes and 'stuff' between houses!

chrism

Quote from: njee20 on April 04, 2020, 05:02:45 PM
Yep, that is my assumption. But obviously right now jump starting it and "taking it for a drive" to charge isn't exactly essential travel!

Are you likely to need it at some point for an essential journey? If so, then I'd say that taking it for a run to get the battery charged is essential.

Mine hadn't turned a wheel for a fortnight until yesterday so, bearing in mind that I may be called on for some voluntary duties at some point, I deliberately didn't take the direct route to the supermarket for my shopping and nor did I take the direct route back home. Instead I took the much longer route to give it a good run to make sure the battery is well topped up.

njee20

Nah, mrs njee20's car is sat on the drive too, so no urgency!

Mr Sprue

Now that pollution levels have dramatically fallen in the city, I'm tempted to start up my dirty diesel and rev the crap out of it to see if Mayor Sadiq notices it! >:D

The Q

I have a battery charger which automatically switches down to trickle charge that will be used occasionally as required.  We have two vehicles,  being used alternately at the moment on weekly trips to the shops. The nearest of which is 15minutes away.

Shropshire Lad

I'm enjoying cheaper fuel but then I'm driving a lot more! Emergency train timetables have meant I now have to drive to work more often than before. Never seen the M6 so quiet tho 😁

zopadooper

Quote from: Garyf on April 04, 2020, 12:14:26 PM
I've SORN'd my car as we don't need two cars as we barely use one! Might as well get some tax back.

Gary
Us to, and we deferred the insurance, saving another £20 a month.

mr bachmann

Quote from: Garyf on April 04, 2020, 12:14:26 PM

Gary
  Us to, and we deferred the insurance, saving another £20 a month.

you lucky pair I'd get nowt back - tax exempt and only £84 a year fully comp insurance any way  :sorrysign:  :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations