spellings on EBAY

Started by Highland Handlebar, April 26, 2018, 09:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbury22uk

Going back to the original issue of Ebay, the spelling mistakes can be the source of bargains. The misspellings result in items not showing up in correctly spelled simple searches. I am not much of Ebay searcher but recently we have has "virgon" and "pendalino" in the Virgin Pendolino listings.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

njee20

I got a DCC fitted Voyager just listed as "N Gauge" recently.

monkey_brains

Seen recently on there - a Graham Fetish Class 08
A keen modern image modeller in N Gauge, the latest creation I am working on is Cottingfield - an N Gauge Rule 1 Layout

Plotting has started on a DC controlled layout for the trains I can't easily convert to DCC North Wroxham - an N Gauge Modern Era Layout

Safety Engineer

Its not only spellings, some translations suffer as well, notice seen in the grounds of Taipei water works (Taiwan) "Dangerous snacks inhabit this area" (vision of a packet of Cheese and Onion Chrisps jumping out of the long Grass perhaps) !

Martin

Zogbert Splod

Their ar bargings too be had on eebay coz of spooling mitsakes tho.
www.fatfingers.com is worth a look.  It will pull up a lot of dreck but sometimes a real gem.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Highland Handlebar

I think my favourite spelling was a graham Farage  horse box

TrevL

I have a saved search for " N Guage", prooving quite fruitful.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

SheldonC

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 27, 2018, 11:58:32 AM
The problem with the 'of' versus 'have' thing is at some point folks started using a contraction of 'should have' or 'would have' and they became 'should've' and 'would've'. This is accepted now but when they are spoken they sound like 'should of' and 'would of' hence the usage.

Another of my pet hates is the use of 'that' when it's completely unnecessary. As an example, in the first sentence above I could have typed.....
"The problem with the 'of' versus 'have' thing is that at some point..................."
It would have been a pointless insertion of 'that' as the sentence carries the meaning perfectly well without it. For those who read a lot (and I certainly do) you may find you now notice all the 'thats' and realise the average paperback could have been (or could've been) several pages shorter! :)

I think "Thumb Texting" is to blame for a lot of the mis-spellings (& lack of hyphens), but it is also influencing pronunciation - "create" is now pronounced "crate" (or "cr8"), and, as you point out, would've is usually pronounced "would of", as it is often spelled.  I hadn't noticed the use of "So..." to begin an answer to a question until Rex Kennedy pointed it out in one of his editorials some years ago; now, it grates on me in just about every interview on TV.

SheldonC

Quote from: njee20 on April 26, 2018, 09:51:08 PM
It's definitely not just eBay, I agree that most people's standard of written Inglish is very pore.

Loosing. Should of. You're/your or there/their/they're confusion. Hangable offences!
Unfortunately, I often find I've typed "you" instead of "your" (but definitely nor "you're"), but that's down to my keyboard skills & incipient arthritis.  Unfortunately, I suspect most of the other incidences I see are not attributable to the same causes.

SheldonC

Quote from: dannyboy on April 26, 2018, 10:04:14 PM
Totally agree with the above. Why people can not write "They're having their tea over there" and know the difference between the spellings, is beyond me!  Whilst I do abbreviate words, e.g. isn't, I usually only do it when writing informally, like wot I do on 'ere  :). If I am writing something 'proper' I like to write the words out correctly. Down to my upbringing I suppose and what I like to think of as being educated correctly. So are we blaming teaching standards these days? But that is another topic.  ;D
Having worked in an environment where the over-50s were very much in the minority, I can say with a degree of confidence that educational standards have certainly changed, not for the better.  I suspect it has been the result of policy changes instigated by trendy pedagogues, psychologists and others who train the teachers.  The existence of such expressions as "speak as you read" would tend to illustrate this point. 
Oh, and as a Parthian shot, why has "of" become the preposition of choice in expressions such as "bored of"?  Others do seem to crop up with alarming frequency.

SheldonC

Quote from: Highland Handlebar on April 26, 2018, 10:45:25 PM
Variety being the spice of life, I have purchased items which are N guage, N gouge, and N gorge and many break second couches
150 years ago or so, "break" was the accepted spelling.  Language changes.  It just doesn't always change for the better.

SheldonC

Quote from: Malc on April 27, 2018, 10:37:48 AM
Ad's - that well known punctuation mark, the grocers' apostrophe.
Please stop, before I split my sides with laughter.

The Q

Arghhh NO the The Loch Ness Monster... Though I don't remember him ever reaching Inbhir Nis High School. I do remember some of the teachers there...

stevewalker

Quote from: SheldonC on June 29, 2018, 11:04:02 AM
Quote from: Highland Handlebar on April 26, 2018, 10:45:25 PM
Variety being the spice of life, I have purchased items which are N guage, N gouge, and N gorge and many break second couches
150 years ago or so, "break" was the accepted spelling.  Language changes.  It just doesn't always change for the better.

That is one that drives me mad - particularly when it appears in newspapers (where they should know better) or motoring related forums (where you'd hope people are interested enough in the subject to know the correct spelling).

bob lawrence

Misspelling I can sometimes forgive but never the Malapropism of words. I suspect misspelling occurs due to the use of predictive text, but there again so may Malapropism.
You may look no further than this forum for examples of Malapropism especially.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations