what are you listening to at the moment?

Started by findus, January 20, 2011, 12:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

John Stanley organ and harpsichord concerti opus 2. (free download from Baroque music library)

(does anybody else here listen to classical music, or jazz or big band swing?
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Dorsetmike on August 08, 2014, 09:46:32 PM

All 3, but my tastes veer only towards the well known stuff.

scotsoft

Quote from: Dorsetmike on August 08, 2014, 09:46:32 PM

I listen to classical music, classical guitar music, I also play classical guitar and opera to name a few.

I like listening to choral works, brass bands, folk music but not very keen on jazz.

cheers John.

marco neri

Closer the heart -RUSH
Over the Hills and far away - Gary Moore...(R.I.P.)
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Dorsetmike

QuoteAll 3, but my tastes veer only towards the well known stuff.

Try these; first two recorded London 1969, Goodman with an all British backing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-uPU0lo_rg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehQdjc36HPE

this one you probably won't have heard before, classical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1avElfU2bk

With classical I've got fed up with stations like Classic FM  pumping out the top 300 all day every day, I now hunt for stuff they don't play, but it has to be melodic, none of the modern stuff like Gorecki, horrible sounds,  Einaudi all his works sound the same, tinkle tinkle repetitive, not even suitable for muzak in a lift. Mostly I prefer the baroque period.

Another thing that gets up my nose with radio stations, a composer like say Bach wrote over 1,000 works, we rarely hear more than a dozen or so, same sort of thing applies to most other composers we rarely hear more than a quarter of what they wrote, Beethoven wrote 9 symphonies, of which we probably hear only Nos 5,6, & 9 with any regularity, I personally hate the 9th, especially the choral bits of it.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

Classical - I prefer the likes of Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Mussorgsky and Richard Strauss. Also like Wagner but without the caterwauling.
Jazz - Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Glen Miller and 'modern' stuff like Weather Report and Oscar Peterson.
Mainly prefer electric folk to acoustic, like lots of techno/trance but my main music taste runs to rock and blues.

What am I listening to at the moment?
The wind trying to blow my fence panels out and the rain lashing against the windows :worried:

Tom U

Listening to nothing   :(  my much loved Denon CD/Amp has given up after 12 years, and not repairable  :'(  Now faced with finding a replacement. :hmmm:

Malc

Quote from: Tom U on August 11, 2014, 02:06:24 PM
Listening to nothing   :(  my much loved Denon CD/Amp has given up after 12 years, and not repairable  :'(  Now faced with finding a replacement. :hmmm:
Denon kit is semi pro. I'm sure they would repair it.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Tom U

Malc, it would be nice if I could get it repaired...but no repair facility in Chiang Mai (that I have found) can do it . 

Is anyone here, like me, a fan of Pentangle?

Malc

Quote from: Tom U on August 11, 2014, 03:52:31 PM
Malc, it would be nice if I could get it repaired...but no repair facility in Chiang Mai (that I have found) can do it . 

There is a repair centre in Singapore, it's only about 1500 miles away.

Dock Shunter

Quote from: Tom U on August 11, 2014, 03:52:31 PM

Yeah i like Pentangle.
I love the jazz influence in some of their music.
Big Nick Drake fan for the same reason on his Bryter Layter album.
Also like listening to Bert Jansch solo stuff...... 8)

:beers:..Ste...

Dorsetmike

Having spent the best part of yesterday afternoon downloading free Baroque music (over 20 hours of it) I've been listening to baroque all day today instead of a mix of genres.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

tutenkhamunsleeping

Beardfish - Från En Plats Du Ej Kan Se

For the second time today - great album 8)

Malc

4x2

The rain.

Not a band, just mother nature trying to flood next doors poorly built plastic conservatory....

Sounds very soothing led here in my bed.......
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations