GWR Hall Loco - Farish vs Dapol, which one is better?

Started by Doc Pye, February 12, 2019, 01:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Pye

So I have decided that building my Saint class loco using various parts from all over the place is just not cost-effective....for now...

My second choice was to buy some GWR locos from Union Mills (which would be my first from this manufacturer). I have emailed Colin (who is a very friendly and helpful guy!) and he says the GWR stuff will be likely to be available around mid-2019!  :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:   So saving some pennies for them.

In the meantime, I have some pennies to spend now and I am thinking of getting a Hall class loco. My question is which Hall class loco is better, Farish vs Dapol's offerings???

I did a search of the forum but didn't find any comparison info  :searchingsign: so I thought I would start my own thread!  :helpneededsign:

Hope to hear from you all!

longbow

The Dapol Hall is much newer than the Farish version and far superior visually.

Chris Morris

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

If only Dapol has managed to put the correct boiler on it, not one off a Manor.

Chris Morris

Quote from: 5944 on February 12, 2019, 06:51:15 AM
If only Dapol has managed to put the correct boiler on it, not one off a Manor.
I wonder if this is just a Dapol bashing urban myth. Here is a photo of my Manor and Hall next to each other. To my untrained eye they ain't the same boiler.
My Hall is awaiting a little bit of weathering . I believe that, more than anything else helps to make a model more realistic.

Tonye

:hellosign: While the Dapol hall is the superior looking model, it does not perform as well as it looks. My GF Hall has been serviced by BR Lines and now runs well.
Tony .H

Ok, so maybe it isn't a Manor boiler, but it certainly looks very under nourished at the smokebox.

Chris Morris

Quote from: Tonye on February 12, 2019, 08:34:01 AM
:hellosign: While the Dapol hall is the superior looking model, it does not perform as well as it looks. My GF Hall has been serviced by BR Lines and now runs well.
I think this is another Dapol bashing myth. I have 2 28xx as well as a Hall, Grange and Manor and all run very well indeed. Yes you have to be careful how you handle them and the wires connecting loco to tender need resoldering from time to time but they are all good smooth runners.

Chris Morris

Quote from: 5944 on February 12, 2019, 09:11:47 AM
Ok, so maybe it isn't a Manor boiler, but it certainly looks very under nourished at the smokebox.

I don't have the equipment to measure things sufficiently accurately but it's interesting to note that the Hall boiler diameter is three inches bigger than a Manor - that's about half a millimetre in N gauge. I can't see a difference between the two but I probably shouldn't be able to see that level of difference. Maybe it should be bigger but it looks ok to me whereas the Farish one can't be seen as anything better than a rather crude model. Ok for its era but left way behind now. If old Farish was all there was I wouldn't be modelling in N gauge, in fact I didn't until Dapol came along and shuck things up.

Newportnobby

Although I model transition era set loosely in Oxfordshire, strangely I've never got round to buying a Hall but, if I did, I would certainly get the Dapol one, even though I know it will whine something awful. Before I get accused of Dapol bashing I have 27 of their locos and only one does not whine noisily.

Paddy

Well, one looks like a Hall and the other is lump of Mazac.  The Farish Hall was never one of their better models and if memory serves dates back to almost the beginning of the Farish N Gauge range in the 70s.  I cannot comment on how well the Dapol Hall runs but like with most locos there are "goodens" and "badens".

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

GrahamB

What radius curves do you have? The Dapol Hall does not like tight curves.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

ten0G

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 12, 2019, 10:52:01 AMBefore I get accused of Dapol bashing I have 27 of their locos and only one does not whine noisily.

I'd be interested to know which one that is please. 

I thought that Dapol were considering a loco motor drive system to replace the tender motor, but I've heard no more about it for quite some time. 

Until then I will not buy any WR tender locos despite Dapol's attention to detail. 

PLD

Quote from: ten0G on February 12, 2019, 05:42:50 PM
I thought that Dapol were considering a loco drive system to replace the tender drive, but I've heard no more about it for quite some time. 

Until then I will not buy any WR tender locos despite Dapol's attention to detail.
:confused2:
Dapol have NEVER used a Tender Drive system. (they used a Loco-driven system via cardan-shaft from a Tender mounted motor which is a different thing!)

Farish used a true tender drive in many of the earlier Bachman era designs such as the Black 5, Jubilee etc, J39, B1, A1/A2, Standard 4...

ten0G

Quote from: PLD on February 12, 2019, 05:58:29 PM
Quote from: ten0G on February 12, 2019, 05:42:50 PM
I thought that Dapol were considering a loco drive system to replace the tender drive, but I've heard no more about it for quite some time. 

:confused2:
Dapol have NEVER used a Tender Drive system. (they used a Loco-driven system via cardan-shaft from a Tender mounted motor which is a different thing!)

Farish used a true tender drive in many of the earlier Bachman era designs such as the Black 5, Jubilee etc, J39, B1, A1/A2, Standard 4...

Yes, thanks - I've edited the post.   :-[

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations