Great Model Railway Challenge 2019

Started by dannyboy, August 03, 2019, 12:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

looks like I will have to go looking for it again, this worked for about 2 mins hence I put the link up, thought I would watch it this morning and it failed on me also. hmmm!

Bealman

I'm currently copping Australian Survivor as I finish my last beer for the night, heck, I can't wait for the taxi!!!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

weave

Bealman

All I can say is that I hope I can find working access to the Challenge tonight.... Mrs Bealman will be ensconced in front of the season finale of the Bachelor!  :sick2:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Railwaygun

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Nick

I watched the first episode yesterday. I can't quite decide what I made of it. It seemed to have gone backwards in terms of the "fun" element, I think because of them introducing point scoring from day to day. As a result, the judges seemed to want to tell the team s how to build the layouts.

And they've gone from allowing three pre-built items to six. Presumably to counter last year's problem where one team brought an entire town as "one item", IIRC. So the "action" items largely arrived pre-built. And the teams have had two months to practice...

[spoiler]I hope we aren't going to end up with well established model clubs just trouncing newcomers all the while. No disrespect to Corby, but setting them against The Train Set was a bit like running a Masterchef competition with Michel Roux ranked against me....  There's not a lot of doubt who'd win and it wouldn't be my attempt at egg & chips...  :( Although The Train Set were close...[/spoiler]

Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2019, 01:01:01 PM
I watched the first episode yesterday. I can't quite decide what I made of it. It seemed to have gone backwards in terms of the "fun" element, I think because of them introducing point scoring from day to day. As a result, the judges seemed to want to tell the team s how to build the layouts.

And they've gone from allowing three pre-built items to six. Presumably to counter last year's problem where one team brought an entire town as "one item", IIRC. So the "action" items largely arrived pre-built. And the teams have had two months to practice...

[spoiler]I hope we aren't going to end up with well established model clubs just trouncing newcomers all the while. No disrespect to Corby, but setting them against The Train Set was a bit like running a Masterchef competition with Michel Roux ranked against me....  There's not a lot of doubt who'd win and it wouldn't be my attempt at egg & chips...  :( Although The Train Set were close...[/spoiler]

The above post prompted me to ponder the wider issue around "action items"....

It occurs to me that these are, or would seem to be, primarily intended to add entertainment for TV purposes....I don't believe many actual exhibition layouts have such things?

I know some do, and there is nothing wrong with that, but in my experience these are in the minority (especially when multiple action features are present).

No judgement either way, just a ponder...

Skyline2uk 

emjaybee

Quote from: Skyline2uk on September 18, 2019, 01:13:15 PM

It occurs to me that these are, or would seem to be, primarily intended to add entertainment for TV purposes....I don't believe many actual exhibition layouts have such things?

I know some do, and there is nothing wrong with that, but in my experience these are in the minority (especially when multiple action features are present).

Skyline2uk

Well, Little Aller Junction has thunder, so it wouldn't take much for the hills on the left to have a landslide, and that could trigger a tsunami rolling into the harbour of James Street.

:hmmm:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Skyline2uk

:laughabovepost:

Do you know as I was typing that I though of "Little Aller" and it's "don't touch" button, but I wouldn't Class that as an "action item", more a life lesson... :D

Skyline2uk

emjaybee

Quote from: Skyline2uk on September 18, 2019, 01:23:36 PM

Do you know as I was typing that I though of "Little Aller" and it's "don't touch" button, but I wouldn't Class that as an "action item", more a life lesson... :D

Skyline2uk

I DID touch, but did ask first.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

The Q

Quote from: emjaybee on September 18, 2019, 01:19:57 PM
Quote from: Skyline2uk on September 18, 2019, 01:13:15 PM

Skyline2uk

Well, Little Aller Junction has thunder, so it wouldn't take much for the hills on the left to have a landslide, and that could trigger a tsunami rolling into the harbour of James Street.

:hmmm:
There's a layout called Thunder mountain on the exhibition circuit, complete with sound and lightening effects.. it's fairly well modelled, but standing alongside for some hours is not what I would want to do...

Skyline2uk

So watched episode 2 last night.

Wasn't any more annoyed and I think the standard of modelling was overall better than last week. On balance the best layout won I think.

Will probably watch them all now, even if it's just to see what will be at Warley.

Skyline2uk

stevewalker

Quote from: Skyline2uk on September 18, 2019, 01:23:36 PM

Skyline2uk

Ah, so that's what that button's for. I did see it and wondered why there was an exposed button that anyone might press!

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

weave

Hi all,

Doesn't seem to be much interest, good or bad, from last week. I did have some opinions on last week but can't remember what they were  :beers:, hic.

Might watch it again plus tonight's helping.

Still needs less cheesy presenters though.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations