Amazon Silk browser and BT DNS error

Started by austinbob, November 10, 2016, 10:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

I often use an Amazon fire HD10 to access the interenet. As of yesterday I have been unable to access Rails and Hattons web sites and have been getting a BT warning that I am trying to use a non BT DNS (or words to that effect).
All other web sites I normally access are fine.
Opera, on the same device works fine with Rails and Hattons.
My PC and smart phone work fine on everything.
I have googled 'Silk browser and BT DNS errors' and other similar searches with no answer to the problem so far.
Any ideas?
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Malc

The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

austinbob

Quote from: Malc on November 10, 2016, 12:17:34 PM
I trust you saw this, Bob. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47609/~/im-getting-a-message-saying-im-trying-to-connect-to-a-non-bt-dns-server,-what

It looks like your parental controls are to blame.
Parental controls were not switched on Malc., but deleted them yesterday anyway. No difference I'm afraid.
The problem only affects a couple of web sites and only started yesterday. So something must have changed yesterday! and all my other devices, apart from Kindle fire, work perfectly on all browsers.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Just deleted the bookmarks to the offending web sites and re_entered the websites manually and all is well. Weird...

Bob Austin

Snowwolflair

I suspect the DNS servers are having an off day.  these things can take a day or so to rectify.  Not your device.

Do not adjust you mind, reality is on the blink  :D

Snowwolflair

Quote from: austinbob on November 10, 2016, 12:46:56 PM
Just deleted the bookmarks to the offending web sites and re_entered the websites manually and all is well. Weird...

Ah! the websites have probably been given new DNS entries and you system was saving an old address.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations