Internet Explorer

Started by Yeoman, March 17, 2016, 08:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeoman

My office PC allows me to right click on a link and open in another tab. When I do this the original page stays open and the new page opens hidden behind it. Useful when you haven't finished reading a page but want to latter look at a different link.

My home PC allows a second page to be opened but it automatically opens on top of what I am reading meaning I have to go back to the original page.

Not so much a problem more of a niggle..................

Any advice how I can make my home PC behave like my office one please?

I use Windows 10 and Internet Explorer.

Thanks in advance
Building a layout with fumbling fingers and failing eye sight!

Bealman

I have always thought that the function was useful when the boss looks over your shoulder when you are on the NGF  8)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MJKERR

Quote from: Yeoman on March 17, 2016, 08:17:29 AMAny advice how I can make my home PC behave like my office one please?

I use Windows 10 and Internet Explorer
The Tab settings are probably different, but it could also be the security setting

Use Snipping Tool or camera on your smartphone, and take a screen shot of each setting on the works PC, then save or eMail them to yourself, then compare at home

If you think that is bad, I have six laptops and like them all to operate in the same manner
I preferred the Windows Classic Theme, but I cannot get Windows 10 to import this so now have two different themes in use
Equally, one of my laptops from last year has to keep Windows 8 as the warranty does not support Windows 10, and as soon as the warranty expires I will be updating it!

PLD

Quote from: Yeoman on March 17, 2016, 08:17:29 AM

My office PC allows me to right click on a link and open in another tab. When I do this the original page stays open and the new page opens hidden behind it. Useful when you haven't finished reading a page but want to latter look at a different link.

My home PC allows a second page to be opened but it automatically opens on top of what I am reading meaning I have to go back to the original page.

Not so much a problem more of a niggle..................

Any advice how I can make my home PC behave like my office one please?

I use Windows 10 and Internet Explorer.

Thanks in advance

In I.E. 10 and later:
Select: > Tools > Internet Options > Tabs

Untick "Always switch to new tabs when they are opened" or "Always switch to new tabs when they are created"

Yeoman

[/quote]

In I.E. 10 and later:
Select: > Tools > Internet Options > Tabs

Untick "Always switch to new tabs when they are opened" or "Always switch to new tabs when they are created"
[/quote]

Thanks PLD that's sorted it. So easy when you know how.  :)
Building a layout with fumbling fingers and failing eye sight!

Grandad

Another way is to hold down Ctrl key while clicking the link, this will open a new tab
Peter

PLD

Quote from: old un on March 23, 2016, 03:26:38 PM
Another way is to hold down Ctrl key while clicking the link, this will open a new tab
Peter
True, but the original question wasn't about opening links in a new tab...

It was about whether IE switches to that new tab or stays in the present tab...

Grandad

I thought it was a useful tip to add to the thread

MalcolmInN

Peter
Oh yes ! thank you :)

Quote from: PLD on March 23, 2016, 08:31:08 PM
Peter

So what ? the orig. prob had been sorted to Yeoman's satisfaction,
so then, after it had been put to bed,
we all found old un 's post an interesting adjunct ,  where's the beef ?
Isnt it conversation ?

PLD

Quote from: MalcolmAL on March 25, 2016, 12:43:02 AM
Quote from: PLD on March 23, 2016, 08:31:08 PM
Peter

So what ? the orig. prob had been sorted to Yeoman's satisfaction,
so then, after it had been put to bed,
we all found old un 's post an interesting adjunct ,  where's the beef ?
Isnt it conversation ?
No problem - it is a good and useful tip, just a warning that it won't resolve the original issue, so anyone that tries it as a solution to that original issue won't be disappointed...

A bit like if you ask for advice on repairing a Farish Black 5, someone could tell you how to repair a Farish Class 37. All good, correct information but not what you asked for and doesn't resolve your original issue...

PLD

Quote from: old un on March 24, 2016, 07:55:51 AM
I thought it was a useful tip to add to the thread

Well if we're now drifting away from the original question on to general web-browser hints & tips...

In IE you can open a duplicate copy of the Tab you are viewing by pressing CTRL+K.
In Firefox this can be achieved by holding the CTRL key and clicking the 'refresh' button on the toolbar, or by placing the cursor in the address bar and pressing ALT+ENTER.
There is officially no equivalent in CHROME without installing an add-on/extension, but the firefox ALT+ENTER method does work...

Grandad

Unless I completely misunderstand the above sentence the Ctrl + left click tip  replicates the right click mentioned.

PLD

Quote from: old un on March 25, 2016, 09:29:13 AM

Unless I completely misunderstand the above sentence the Ctrl + left click tip replicates the right click mentioned.
CTRL+Left does indeed open the link in a new Tab, but again it doesn't address the original question of how to control whether IE switches to that new Tab or keeps focus on the current Tab... ::)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations