!!

Not Yet Registered?

Welcome to the N Gauge Forum!  We've currently hidden most of the threads due to the vast number of guests contributing in slowing the speed of the forum down.  Please register and login to see the many thousands of posts about our great hobby.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Stopping ads on Skype  (Read 980 times)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Stopping ads on Skype
« on: March 09, 2016, 07:08:24 PM »
Just in case anybody else is getting annoyed by ads on Skype, the following action works

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=blocking+ads+on+skype

You get a barely visible pale blue box at the top of the Skype window

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline ryan2390

• Awards
Re: Stopping ads on Skype
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »
Thank You Dorsetmike....having limited bandwidth removing the ads might make skype work better  :thankyousign:
My BR Blue to modern day layout planning thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=32155.0

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 12:15:48 PM »
When Microsloth took over Skype and started to make big changes I stopped updating, I'm still running V6.22.81.105 dated 2014 about the last of the uncluttered versions, every morning I get the Update Skype pop up and click Not Now!

You may be able to download earlier versions from this site, you'd probably need to erase the current version. I have no problem communicating with users of current versions.

http://www.oldapps.com/skype.php

Quite a few old versions of other apps on the site, (some handy if you are running older Windows versions)

http://www.oldapps.com/skype.php

Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 01:46:38 PM »
Be aware that they do block or cripple older versions, I was happy on the "traditional" pre-Microsoft version on OS X for years but they forced me to upgrade a while back :(. The other week they also removed some functionality for group calls on Linux, which is a problem in my company as there are a lot of Linux users (and oddly enough a few ex-Skype employees who jumped ship after they were bought by Microsoft).
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - fictitious Minories-esque terminus

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 10:48:01 PM »
I'm still using V6.22.81.110. of 2014. Keep hitting "Not now" on the update window every morning.
Cheers MIKE

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 01:26:19 PM »
I'm still using V6.22.81.110. of 2014. Keep hitting "Not now" on the update window every morning.

Sooner or later, Mike, you'll get a message saying that you must upgrade to continue using Skype. When I got that message I removed the software entirely and haven't used it since.

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 02:26:40 PM »
When Skype started getting the so-called enhancements back in 2014 I spent about half an hour on the Skype help chat line & explained that I did not want that upgrade nor any subsequent ones and was then talked through downloading the version I have. I and the friend I talk with mostly on Skype have been using that version since, we get an "upgrade now" pop up when booting, but just click "not now"

Maybe I have a special Luddites version. If/when they do send me an "upgrade or else" I will ignore it, or if necessary find a suitable alternative.
Cheers MIKE

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £80.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
133% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal