Computer "Mouse" question

Started by Tdm, February 07, 2016, 04:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

Does anyone know how to restrict the number of "options" displayed when you right click on the mouse button (say when hovering over a music track you want to change details of).

Have tried the different options for a mouse settings under Control Panel, but these don't tell me what I want to know.

I get so many choices when I right click the mouse that it covers more than a screen full, and I have to scroll down every time to get to the one I want (which is normally rename or delete).

Regards

Terry

Malc

Not sitting in front of a PC at the moment, Terry, but F2 can be used for renaming a file. I assume that is not what you want.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

njee20

That's a function of the software, not the mouse. Probably better to learn the keyboard shortcut for your chosen function.

dannyboy

It seems to be a case of using third party software or altering the register. Have a look at the following link -
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/windows-right-click-context-menu/
but if you just type something on the lines of "right mouse click menu" into a search engine, you will find all sorts of information. If you go down the altering the register route - you have to be certain you know what you are doing  :worried:. David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

PLD

Quote from: Tdm on February 07, 2016, 04:12:31 PM
Does anyone know how to restrict the number of "options" displayed when you right click on the mouse button (say when hovering over a music track you want to change details of).

Have tried the different options for a mouse settings under Control Panel, but these don't tell me what I want to know.

I get so many choices when I right click the mouse that it covers more than a screen full, and I have to scroll down every time to get to the one I want (which is normally rename or delete).
You won't find anything in the general computer settings. the features in the right click menu are a function of the individual software program you are using. If there are that many it sounds like the programmers have not really thought it through properly of tried to be too clever and include too many features that most users probably won't use very often...

Your only hope is that somewhere in that software's own options settings there is the capability for you to select what to include in the right click menu. IF you tell us what software it is that is showing the excessively long list, someone may have experience and be able to advise if it is possible to select what appears in the list...

Tdm

Thanks for the replies guys. Will check out the suggestions later - have to run the brother-in-law and his partner to the Airport this morning after a nearly 3 month stay in Tenerife
(in their own apartment I might add).

On checking my previous PC using Windows 7 which I still need to run certain things that won't run on the newer PC, right clicking the mouse on that gives me a much neater shorter option list that doesn't scroll over more than one screen.

Will report back on what success I have had after making changes.

Tdm

Just an update on this.

The free software utility "FileMenuTools" which is supposed to let you easily edit out items on the right click menu that you don't want - when I try and download it my Anti-Virus s/ware (Avira) doesn't like it saying it contains a virus!

Have tried using Windows "Regedit" by looking through the "HKEY Root" directory
"....\shellex\contextmenushandlers" but can't "marry up" what is in there to what appears on the right click menu. After taking a back-up I tried deleting "Share" from the contextmenushandlers list then re-booted, but the "share" option still came up in the right click menu.

Having read through some other suggestions I tried downloading some s/ware called "Shellmenuview", but don't seem to be able to marry this up to what I am getting either and it doesn't seem very User Friendly.

The main problem I am getting is when I click on my "Music" folder, then right click on a music file in there I want to edit or delete, the list of options goes well over one screen and I have to scroll way down everytime to for example to get to the "Delete" function.  Most options that appear in the list I don't want there as I will never use them.

Hope the above is not too confusing to understand.

Rabs

could you press "print screen" when you have the menu open and then post the picture here?  Then we may be able to help you identify the offending bits of software that have cluttered up your menu.  By default there shouldn't be too many things in the list but programs can add things and you can usually remove them by unistalling the offending program. 
Also, if you ever get an option when installing to 'install shell extension' then it is asking if it can add items to the right click menu.

Tdm

Below is a copy of a screenprint of what appears when right clicking a file in the Music folder.
It only show some of the options, the one I would normally use I have to scroll farther down to eg rename, delete, etc.

MikeDunn

Well, you've chosen to add a lot of utilities to your right-click menu ... you'll need to decide which ones you don't want there and modify via the appropriate application.

Tdm

Quote from: MikeDunn on February 08, 2016, 08:20:19 PM
Well, you've chosen to add a lot of utilities to your right-click menu ... you'll need to decide which ones you don't want there and modify via the appropriate application.

I didn't choose them- they just appeared - most of the options on there I don't need or want - it is just finding a way of getting rid of them which is what this thread is all about.

The applications listed I do use - but elsewhere - so I don't want to uninstall them - just stop them appearing on the right click menu.

Nothing ever defeats me (and many years ago I was a good I.T.Manager who knew his stuff). Things have changed somewhat since then, but I will crack this one eventually, with or without help.

It is just making creating music for our Thursday night quiz shows a bit more long winded and complicated than it need be. During the interval and at the end of the quiz I always play music on the Community Hi-Fi system via my MP3 player which customers seem to enjoy, and I need to create some new music albums as I am sure people are getting a little tired of hearing the same songs each week, even though I try to vary it.

I use an "Archos" MP3 player plugged into to the 200 watt Community system, but have just ordered a new MP3 player from Amazon as the Archos is not the most User Friendly of devices even though it sounds good when connected to a powerful amplifier and good speakers, and the sequence of the tracks it plays is unpredictable and not in the same order as I specified when syncing it in WMP.

MikeDunn

Quote from: Tdm on February 08, 2016, 10:13:13 PM
I didn't choose them- they just appeared
::)  Must be magic ...

Like I said - see what app you allowed them to install with and remove them from there ...

QuoteThings have changed somewhat since then, but I will crack this one eventually, with or without help.
You are being given help - you're ignoring it.  All the extra entries are not a function of either your mouse or Windows - they are functions of the various apps you have installed.  As such, those apps need to be revisited to correct your issue.  And don't fiddle with the Registry unless a) you know what you're doing (by your own admission, things have moved on a lot since your day) and b) you have a backup made you can revert to.

WRT that tool - I've d/loaded the portable version without problem; scanned it without problem; extracted & rescanned it without problem; and run it without problem.  You may want to think about an a/v product that gives you less false positives ...  Anyway, it seems (from a quick look)  to be one to add new options, not remove existing ones, or at least not obviously.  I still think you'd be better off removing the r/click options from the apps you've installed.

Tdm

Quote from: MikeDunn on February 09, 2016, 09:42:52 AM
Quote from: Tdm on February 08, 2016, 10:13:13 PM
I didn't choose them- they just appeared
::)  Must be magic ...
Like I said - see what app you allowed them to install with and remove them from there ...
QuoteThings have changed somewhat since then, but I will crack this one eventually, with or without help.
You are being given help - you're ignoring it.  All the extra entries are not a function of either your mouse or Windows - they are functions of the various apps you have installed.  As such, those apps need to be revisited to correct your issue.  And don't fiddle with the Registry unless a) you know what you're doing (by your own admission, things have moved on a lot since your day) and b) you have a backup made you can revert to.
WRT that tool - I've d/loaded the portable version without problem; scanned it without problem; extracted & rescanned it without problem; and run it without problem.  You may want to think about an a/v product that gives you less false positives ...  Anyway, it seems (from a quick look)  to be one to add new options, not remove existing ones, or at least not obviously.  I still think you'd be better off removing the r/click options from the apps you've installed.

I didn't mean to sound facetious (if that is the right word) in the reply you quoted - I just like to try and fix things myself first before asking for help so that I don't waste people's time.

I have already made a back-up of the registry - 1st thing I did before looking at it, and I am not ignoring help, I always look into what has been suggested. I have not gone senile just yet and am capable of editing the registry if necessasary.

On my previous PC (running W7 Professional) which I have kept I have mostly the same software as on it's replacement (which now runs W10), but the actions of right clicking the mouse look different on each with far less "clutter" on the older one.

Some of the software though I am going to uninstall and reinstall afresh and monitor what it does. Regards your comment about my anti-virus s/ware - are you saying "Avira" gives false indications of what software is to be trusted and what is not?

MikeDunn

Quote from: Tdm on February 09, 2016, 10:45:00 AM
On my previous PC (running W7 Professional) which I have kept I have mostly the same software as on it's replacement (which now runs W10), but the actions of right clicking the mouse look different on each with far less "clutter" on the older one.
Either a different version of the software (with less going in) or you were more selective on a custom install instead of a generic default, I suspect.  Given the amount of crap various apps shove in on default (Apple is an example of piling crap on your PC with a default iTunes install), I never use default these days ...

Some of the software though I am going to uninstall and reinstall afresh and monitor what it does.
Might not be necessary; look at the options / properties of the apps that are in your right-click, there may be an option to remove in the app itself.  Ditto for running a "repair" instead of uninstalling/reinstalling (the repair basically re-runs the installer script giving you choices again).

QuoteRegards your comment about my anti-virus s/ware - are you saying "Avira" gives false indications of what software is to be trusted and what is not?
Well, given that it flags this utility, whereas mine (Avast) is fine with it ... ;)  One review I saw says "Avira Antivirus 2015 is free, but it doesn't have a lot going for it beyond that."

Tdm

Well - I did a little more research and discovered that the utility CCleaner now has an option in it's "Tools" menu to disable or delete unwanted items in the right click menu. This option is available in the "free" edition of the software by the way.

I downloaded the latest version of CCleaner and tried disabling a number options I didn't want showing on the right click menu, and lo and behold it works - I now have a much tidier display that fits on one screen.

This facility may be of interest to any other members out there who want to tidy up this menu. It is dead easy to use by the way - you just highlight the item you want to change and click disable or delete.

Anyway thanks for all the replies I had on this thread - much appreciated.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations