ebay UK: Buy it now confirmation coming from Austrailia

Started by DELETED, February 03, 2016, 07:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DELETED

Hi,

Quick question for you ebayers:  I submitted a best offer for a small cheap used Siemens PLC I used to work with as I have it in mind for a potential model railway project (it offers more functions than a dcc unit potentially would and cost less).  It was a UK seller and I only use ebay.co.uk.  However when my offer was accepted, the confirmation E-Mail I received originated from ebay.com.au which I presume to be Austrailia.  Ebay UK pretty much didn't know anything when I phoned them to check everything was legit, I contacted the seller to get something in writing that he was located in the UK.  I was just wanting to be absolutely sure before I paypaled the money.

I'm not majorly worried as I've demonstrated with a phone call to ebay and a message to the seller that everything is OK just in case anything goes wrong.  Ebay confirmed the 100% seller feedback anyway.

Has anyone else had this before.  I had it mind with ebay of one of their servers was down or overloaded then a different one would step-in and generate the messages, but I'm surprised ebay didn't know why I received an answer from Austrailia rather than the UK.  I felt bad questioning the seller, but caveat emptor as always.

Cheers,

Rich

mickster04

I use ebay from NZ and assume it would look like it comes from Aus. I wouldn't worry about it, ebay is global so it doesn't matter where the email comes from I expect.

Nik96

If the seller was in australian territories, or at least the computer was working through Australian territories the email would originate from the AU servers for ebay. They should have filled out a item location but you've done the right thing by contacting the seller.

You're very vigilant for most ebayers to spot something like that. It's great to see! ;D
4 Layouts in, I've never got further than ballasting track. 5th time lucky?

DELETED

Quote from: Nik96 on February 03, 2016, 10:35:29 PM
If the seller was in australian territories, or at least the computer was working through Australian territories the email would originate from the AU servers for ebay. They should have filled out a item location but you've done the right thing by contacting the seller.

You're very vigilant for most ebayers to spot something like that. It's great to see! ;D

...Hmm, my concern was they logged into ebay in a different country and finalised the sale -why would anyone legit do that though?  I don't think it's vigilant -it's pretty basic stuff, unfortunalely you just have to be so careful with internet buying.  I'm pretty ****** off ebay keeps on putting paypal transactions through without asking me for paypal password confirmation though.  I keep on changing the defult but it keeps on re-setting to putting payments straight through with no security questions >:D

PhilD

If the seller is in Oz just watch out for shipping costs!

DELETED

Quote from: PhilD on February 04, 2016, 12:49:14 AM
If the seller is in Oz just watch out for shipping costs!

^^exactly why I checked up on it -and these days of our poor economy I don't have any interest in putting any money outside the country.

railsquid

Having signed up for Ebay in Germany, and Paypal in Japan, even when using Ebay.co.uk, ebay.de thinks it's responsible for me, and for added fun Paypal thinks I'm Japanese so transactions frequently involve 3 languages...

Nik96

Quote from: RST on February 04, 2016, 12:29:54 AM

I'm pretty ****** off ebay keeps on putting paypal transactions through without asking me for paypal password confirmation though.  I keep on changing the defult but it keeps on re-setting to putting payments straight through with no security questions >:D

I'd like to help but i always checkout with a card so I don't login to paypal. All these comapnies think they're making us happy being able to checkout in one click, it makes me feel more vulnerable.
4 Layouts in, I've never got further than ballasting track. 5th time lucky?

DELETED

Yea I know.  Download the app etc everything available no effort (and allot less security then they're punting on considering it's all different passwords -I don't have any app on my phone in case I loose it or it's nicked, there's no access to anything other than my phone book and photos).  I had my bank change my card to a very basic non-contactless type after someone took money out my account on contactless without knowledge / authorisation so I am VERY sceptical about all this change "for the good".  I can moan all day about that but effectively I think this EBay sale is good so far.  Maybe a glitch in the ebay matrix.  Worth flagging up though in case anyone else has this strange EBay message.

Rich

njee20

Surely the shipping cost is advertised? It's not going to suddenly change...

EBay now offers global shipping on stuff, I've used it as a seller, but don't think I have as a buyer. Could be that perhaps? Seller sends to Australian eBay distribution centre, who forward it to the UK, you get it.

Not totally sure I see an issue.

iceboy

I keep getting login to PayPal scams from Australia..so be careful :hmmm:

njee20

Again... How's this a scam?

A bit of vigilance is wise, but unless the OP has done something monumentally daft he's not gonna be scammed.

iceboy

Quote from: njee20 on February 23, 2016, 07:52:32 PM
Again... How's this a scam?
Because when PayPal send you an email,they use your name and not your email address that's why!

njee20

Meant the OP. We don't need to go every potential PayPal scam out there!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations