RAW/JPEG help please?

Started by Yeoman, September 07, 2015, 07:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeoman

I am going to have a go at explaining my problem - I hope it will make sense and that someone will be able to help.
I use a Canon camera and take both a jpeg and raw file of all images. Jpeg files open in one programme and RAW in Adobe Elements.
Since changing my PC saved photo images appear as thumb nails with consecutive numbering but I am unable to tell which is jpeg and which is raw. On my old system the file type would automatically list in the file names.
I have searched but cannot find a setting to revert back to my original way.
I hope this makes sense?

Help please..................
Building a layout with fumbling fingers and failing eye sight!

Bealman

I'm not sure what you're quite on about, but I have a Canon SLR and I know that before I can post any pics from it onto this forum, I have to process them through a compression program off the net  :confused2:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

mickster04

You may wish to change your VIEW.
if you see all the thumbnails, you can either
a) click + scroll wheel to change view. I find this hard to do accurately and is a bit fast for my liking. or
b) you go to the top of the window view > layout > details (as apposed to large icons medium icons etc)

details view will show you file type, which will show you raw vs jpeg.

MikeDunn

Quote from: Yeoman on September 07, 2015, 07:52:51 AM
Since changing my PC saved photo images appear as thumb nails with consecutive numbering but I am unable to tell which is jpeg and which is raw. On my old system the file type would automatically list in the file names.
Yeoman,

You don't say what your OS is, so the following may not be quite right; however, it should be close enough for an MS OS  ::)

In Windows 7 ...

• Click the Start button
  • type the phrase 'folder options' (don't use the quotes :P)
  • Go to the View tab
  • scroll down until you find "Hide extensions for known file types"
  • Untick the box

This will turn it on for all folders though ...

Rabs

You can also access the folder options from the 'tools' menu at the top when you have any folder open.  Doing it this way allows you to make changes to that specific folder, without changing how all the others appear (if you wish) or apply your changes to all folders.

If the 'File,Edit,View,Tools,Help' menus at the top of your windows are not visible then press the Alt key and it should appear.

Yeoman

Quote from: MikeDunn on September 07, 2015, 09:30:36 AM
Quote from: Yeoman on September 07, 2015, 07:52:51 AM
Yeoman,

You don't say what your OS is, so the following may not be quite right; however, it should be close enough for an MS OS  ::)

In Windows 7 ...

• Click the Start button
  • type the phrase 'folder options' (don't use the quotes :P)
  • Go to the View tab
  • scroll down until you find "Hide extensions for known file types"
  • Untick the box

This will turn it on for all folders though ...

Thanks Mike - Im not the best at navigating around a PC! I couldn't follow your instructions, I am running Windows 8, however in the folder option I have found in the view tab a tick box that says "file name extensions" - a simple tick there then changed the name of eack saved file to show jpeg or Raw. So the desired result  :thankyousign:
Building a layout with fumbling fingers and failing eye sight!

MikeDunn

Glad to have pushed you in the right direction  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations