Windows 10 A breath of fresh air.

Started by Geoff, July 30, 2015, 12:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crackerbill

Hi Railwaygun,

Thank you for your information and link.  I will give it a try and let you know the results

Bill

Crackerbill

Hi

I used the link supplied by Railwaygun and can report total success.

From start of download to the end of the installation took only 3½ hours, so I am now testing all the functions.  Thank you once again

Bill

Skyline2uk

Its installed.

Its working (hence the post).

Its already annoyed me.

Won't let me use Cortana. I am not saying that is a massive problem, but why advertise something that cannot be used? Its saying "Cortana isn't supported in the region or language you have selected"

What, UK and English?!

Confused.

Skyline2uk

Skyline2uk

No longer confused.

Siri told me why...... ;)

Skyline2uk

guest311

my older laptop, win 7, has been displaying the upgrade icon for some time, so after backing up the hard drive onto an external, I went ahead, and here I am.

only disappointment so far is that there did not seem to be an option to choose what parts you wanted to install, so I've got edge which I was not worried about, and that car... thing which I would definitely not have bothered loading.

so far it seems to work ok, I left it last night to download, and then installed and updated drivers etc this morning while waiting for a call from the vet with the shepherd's blood test results.

my newer laptop, win 8, steadfastly refuses to upload one update, which the eligibility checker says is not installed, but when I click on the link for it, IE stops working, every  :censored: time.

I'm just hoping that when I try to open a file on that one, which I have had opened on win 10, that it still works.

:hmmm: :uneasy:

alan

MikeDunn

Quote from: class37025 on August 06, 2015, 04:08:00 PM
my newer laptop, win 8, steadfastly refuses to upload one update, which the eligibility checker says is not installed, but when I click on the link for it, IE stops working, every  :censored: time.
Alan,

If you really must 'upgrade' ... on your Win10 system find the relevant KB article for the update & download the patch to USB; install that way.

Mike

guest311

cheers Mike,

I'll try that.

just would prefer to run the same system on both, though not a disaster if I can't.

alan

GrahamB

Installed (4 hours)

Turned everything I can off (Why the hell do I want Cortana/adverts/all sorts of monitoring etc?

Hate the new file manager.

It seems you can't turn off Windows defender permanently.

Laptop running very slow.

I'll give it a few days but not impressed.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Sprintex

That's all I needed to hear - definitely won't bother now!

:thankyousign:

Paul

guest311

anyone else on win 10 finding that graphics on the site are displaying in a weird way ?

piles of hatchings in certain areas, and members 'logos' also not displaying properly.

alan

dannyboy

Everything appears fine for me. I installed W10 three days ago and am quite pleased. One programme seems to have disappeared  ??? and another would not work initially, but seems okay now.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

NTrain

Laptop upgrade from Windows 7.

It says it is downloaded.

Click on continue. It says it will take about 10 seconds to gather information before starting...........

8 hours later...............

I give up (for the time being)

guest311

Quote from: class37025 on August 06, 2015, 10:18:34 PM
anyone else on win 10 finding that graphics on the site are displaying in a weird way ?

piles of hatchings in certain areas, and members 'logos' also not displaying properly.

alan

working ok today, perhaps it just needed a restart,

I was also watching you tube, so don't know if that had anything to do with it.

alan

GrahamB

Quote from: GrahamB on August 06, 2015, 09:00:18 PM
Installed (4 hours)

Turned everything I can off (Why the hell do I want Cortana/adverts/all sorts of monitoring etc?

Hate the new file manager.

It seems you can't turn off Windows defender permanently.

Laptop running very slow.

I'll give it a few days but not impressed.
It seems I may have been a little hasty in my judgement. Yesterday, despite numerous reboots, my tired old laptop was doing a good impression of a slug having a lazy day.

This evening it's a Greyhound on steroids!
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Geoff

After installing the operating system it can take a few boots before things are back to normal, i have found this out with updating 4 computers.
Geoff

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations