New "reader" icon in Firefox

Started by DELETED, June 07, 2015, 07:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DELETED

Hi, this is a long shot but I know some folk are IT savvy on here...

I have the new "reading page" icon appeared in Firefox* after the latest auto update and I don't want it -I purge / remove anything but the basic which suits me.  I've done all the searches which show how to edit the firefox config code, but has anyone found a more simple way as although I'm OK with IT I'm absolutely not adjusting code.

*Don't want any comments re switching browsers, I'd say it's the best from experience but that's just me.

Have also seen sites have to support it first but a) I've tried it and it's awful -can't see the point like most folk say so far and b) it's random, one website it appears, another it doesn't.  It shows up here for example, but sometimes does, sometimes doesn't -even on the same page after refresh.

If anyone finds an easy fix to get rid post back please.

Cheers,

Rich

Caz

hmmm, I've got the latest Firefox installed on a WinXP Sp3 machine and don't see the read icon, been into options and developer and can't see anything obvious.   ???
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

DELETED

It's not in options Caz.  It's the very latest update of Firefox -looks like a little open book icon in the URL bar at the top (doesn't always appear).  If you ever get it (you may not be upgraded yet) you can right click on the option but "disable" is greyed out unlike customising the other options on the browser.

You have to go into the config script for firefox to disable so far.  Much as I'm good at IT, I don't touch script!  I'm 8.1 for my sins but it's to do with Firefox not the machine apparently.

It's no biggie, at some point there'll be an easy fix, just sharing the question in case someone sees it first.  It's a completely useless add-on and created confusion when I accidentally clicked on it first time and couldn't figure out where my internet pages went wrong, I seem not alone from my google searching.

I maybe need to take a screenshot, for instance if I'm posting a reply it doesn't show in the URL bar.  If I go back to the forum or a previous post it does  ???

Caz

According to the Firefox "about" I'm up to date with version 38.0.5.  Wonder whether it is an RSS reader option or similar.
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

DELETED

No Idea re RSS Caz, I see it but no Idea how RSS works or why anyone would want it after reading up on it.  Looking at your post it's there, when I click "reply" and posting now it's gone.

....It's just one of those really annoying things lumped on that you don't want or see no need for, but so far there's no easy way to remove according to tinterweb posts.  To be fair I find Firefox excellent, never have any niggles apart from this very small one.

DELETED

Caught the little blighter after a few attempts (the open book Icon in the right of the URL bar)!!!

Caz

I managed to get it to show when I clicked on the forum to go back to the main page, clicked on the icon and it seems to present the available options similar to what I see on my mobile phone when it displays as a mobile phone page with a much simpler layout.  Must admit, no idea why it is there.   ???
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

DELETED

Quote from: Caz on June 07, 2015, 08:17:28 PM
I managed to get it to show when I clicked on the forum to go back to the main page, clicked on the icon and it seems to present the available options similar to what I see on my mobile phone when it displays as a mobile phone page with a much simpler layout.  Must admit, no idea why it is there.   ???

...Yes it's like mobile phone layout but much simpler on my pc, more like a corrupt .doc file!  When I click on it it destroys the page, doesn't show right -nobody seems to know why firefox included it, or moreso why they made it so difficult to remove.  It's like a little nymph -keeps floating in and out of web pages, not always there but if you accidentally click on it it could trip you up majorly, and having a touchscreen like many others I don't want anymore guff there which is accidentally clicked on :doh:

Caz

According to the Firefox website it is to improve readability!  From what I can make out it displays webpages as more or less basic text.

Some more info here:

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/02/07/mozilla-starts-to-push-reader-mode-to-desktop-firefox/

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/view-articles-reader-view-firefox-android
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

Dorsetmike

In the URL bar type about:config

Scroll down until you find the entry for "reader.parse-on-load.enabled"

double click on that line to toggle the setting between true (enabled) and false (disabled)

(or right click on the line and select toggle)

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

DELETED

Thanks and sorry for late reply but I'm happy to wait until Firefox releases a proper fix.  Not touching code!!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations