Multiple images for construction.

Started by petercharlesfagg, January 30, 2015, 06:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,
I have on my PC:

Microsoft Office Photo Editor and Irfanview and Word 2003, my OS is XP .

I would like to reproduce several images on one sheet of A4 of the factory walls as in the picture.   I scanned the image as a .jpg before I built the Metcalfe factory and would like to increase the overall roof size, but of course, the roofs will need the support of extra walls!

I would also like to make some of the extra walls merely in outlines rather than use a lot of ink for every piece.

Can someone advise me on how to go about it with the programmes I have to hand?

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

scotsoft

Hello Peter,

You could insert the jpg picture into a Word document then change the picture in "Text Wrapping" to "In front of text", this will allow you to resize the jpg to the size you need.  When you have it the size you need you then copy that picture ans paste it as many times as the page will take.

cheers John.

austinbob

Try this Peter.

Load the picture in photo editor right click on the image and then click copy.

Open Word and right click on the empty page and click paste.

Put the cursor at the bottom of the picture and hit return a couple of times and then do another paste.
That should get you two pictures.

You may need to adjust the picture size to get the right scale be clicking on the image and then dragging the handle in the bottom right hand corner until its the right size.

Can't guarantee this will work but give it a try.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: scotsoft on January 30, 2015, 06:13:29 PM
Hello Peter,

You could insert the jpg picture into a Word document then change the picture in "Text Wrapping" to "In front of text", this will allow you to resize the jpg to the size you need.  When you have it the size you need you then copy that picture ans paste it as many times as the page will take.

cheers John.

That sounds right - similar idea to my post - you posted your reply while I was composing mine!! - Thats life!!

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

petercharlesfagg

Thankyou gentlemen for the ideas, I will try them but!

What about the images as ONLY line outlines?

Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

austinbob

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on January 30, 2015, 06:22:07 PM

Peter.

Not sure I understand what you mean - can you elaborate Peter?
???

Bob Austin

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: austinbob on January 30, 2015, 06:23:51 PM
Quote from: petercharlesfagg on January 30, 2015, 06:22:07 PM

Peter.

Not sure I understand what you mean - can you elaborate Peter?
???

If you imagine that the brickwork disappears so that you are left with only a line around the outside of each piece, with White or Grey inside?

Does that make sense?

austinbob

OK I understand now.

The usual way to do something like this is to select the area you want to change and then fill it with white. Unfortunately your image doesn't actually have an outline so you can't do this. I've tried with a couple of programs I have but with no success.

If you print out the whole thing in colour I don't think its going to use that much ink anyway. If you're worried about using coloured ink then most printers have an option to print in black and white.

Not much help I'm afraid. Maybe someone else may have a way to do want you want.

Bob Austin

cjdodd

In irfanview goto decrease colour depth, and set it to two colours.

Then in effects go to edge detect, in one of the menus chose the option to do a negative,

That should give you a pretty good outline with not too much detail left in the middle

austinbob

Quote from: cjdodd on January 30, 2015, 06:46:37 PM

Then in effects go to edge detect, in one of the menus chose the option to do a negative,

That should give you a pretty good outline with not too much detail left in the middle
Very neat idea. Never used irfanview :beers:

Bob Austin

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: cjdodd on January 30, 2015, 06:46:37 PM

Thankyou, that worked perfectly!

Now all I need to know is how to reproduce more per page.  John (scotsoft) has offered to try and has a copy of the image in an email!

Regards, Peter.

austinbob

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on January 30, 2015, 06:53:43 PM
Thankyou, that worked perfectly!

Now all I need to know is how to reproduce more per page.  John (scotsoft) has offered to try and has a copy of the image in an email!

Regards, Peter.

Nice one Peter  - Glad you've found a solution to your problem.

Bob Austin

Dorsetmike

For future reference next time you could trace onto card round  the outline of the walls before you build. As you already have them scanned why not just print one or two to paper, make sure the size is correct for what you want and use that as a template to cut as many card ones as you want. From your post it sounds like you are looking to extend the width, you could also easily extend the length, having printed off two templates lay one on top of the other but offset length wise so that you get more "ridges" then use that as a template.

You should be able to convert your image into greyscale/monochrome in any photo editor. Here's a few variations on your theme, lengthened, window added ( just as easy to remove windows)

[smg id=20861]

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations