transfer email contacts to gmail

Started by ozzie Bill., December 10, 2014, 11:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie Bill.

In a stupid attempt to update my life, I recently opened a gmail account. Everyone told me this was for the best. OK, that is fine. After 3 days, I have received 3 emails, all from gmail, despite sending emails to some mates advising of a new email address (still keeping the old one).
So today, I decided I would transfer my email contacts to gmail, so I can send from either account. Cool
Sadly, it has transferred my entire inbox, all emails, but not the contacts per se. Also, in this transfer, it has successfully lost a few emails,  a couple of those are ones that I actually needed.
I am not very teckikal, so have trouble understanding big words like POP etc. but I really need some help, please, to get my emails back to my original account and recover the lost ones. Any ideas please, and please keep them in plain English!!
thanks and best wishes, Bill.

Bealman

I'm no help, I'm afraid...  but I was thinking of doing likewise.

I think you've just persuaded me not to!

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ozzie Bill.

I have to say that the concept is great, but at this stage there is a big hole in my life!! I am sure that once I get these emails back and actually transfer my contacts, then it will all be better!
cheers, Bill.

red_death

Hi Bill

A few questions:

- Did you check that your previous email provider was capable of being imported into Gmail?
- Are you using Gmail via the web or an email client? If the web (which is much easier to use for Gmail than say Outlook) then click on Gmail in the top LH corner and the drop down should have contacts.

Cheers, Mike

Bigric

I started using Gmail about 6 months ago when I was constantly unable to SEND email messages when I was at my partners appt (not receive them , no probs there) using my preferred system , Livemail (weak wireless internet signal) . The good thing about Gmail is that I can ALWAYS send/receive messages , wherever I am , if there is an Internet signal . I also took the opportunity to start using a newer , shorter email address in addition to my long-standing (& long-winded ) original email address .
               BUT I do find Gmail a pain to use , finding bits of it that you want to access , I much prefer to use Livemail for general personal email use . But I do use the Gmail email address when making orders with companies who want a return email address , as it's shorter . In terms of your query about transferring email addresses , I left this when starting Gmail (didn't understand what to do !) so have just been adding email addresses individually as & when . Best wishes , Ric

ozzie Bill.

Thanks Mike and Ric. yes, gmail via the web. I have about 200 contacts somewhere, but at this stage they seem to be floating in the ether somewhere! They are on my phone, so now I need to get them across to gmail. blowed if I know how!
cheers, Bill.

trainsdownunder

Depending on you previous set up - it should all be possible. Have PM'd

I have used Gmail for around 4 years now and apart from it's slow syncing with Outlook, which is the same for any Web based mail, I find it good to use. It does have that great capacity for use on any interent linked device which can be very useful. I.e. when we emigrated from the UK when we landed I was able to find a PC terminal in the airport and email the folks back home that we had got here without any effort.

Not sure about all the linking with Google Plus etc but then I simply don't use that part of it. Circles and friends works well though

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations