!!

Not Yet Registered?

Welcome to the N Gauge Forum!  We've currently hidden most of the threads due to the vast number of guests contributing in slowing the speed of the forum down.  Please register and login to see the many thousands of posts about our great hobby.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Google Chrome  (Read 729 times)

Online Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
Google Chrome
« on: November 17, 2014, 11:46:21 AM »
Hello good people,

As I got some excellent advice from you when I wanted to get rid of 'Smartbar', can I run a new problem past you, please?

A couple of weeks ago Google Chrome suddenly crashed on my laptop after having worked without incident for a year or more. I tried the usual things - rebooting, running anti-malware, exorcism etc, but nothing made any difference. I tried the 'Chrome help' pages (I'm back on dear old IE again, by the way) but none of their suggestions worked. In the end, I uninstalled it completely and tried to download it again, but it won't download at all. I can only assume some vital file is missing or corrupt. Anybody got any ideas?

My laptop runs on Vista. And, yes, I know a lot of people are Firefox fans, but I've tried it and it seems a lot slower than Chrome.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
A man who works with his hands is a labourer. A man who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. A man who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist. - St Francis of Assisi.

Online Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 12:40:54 PM »
I can't really answer your problem but only to say that I've used Chrome for many years but over the last month or so I too have had problems. Normally I can sort such problems out but not this time. I can only think that something has changed in a recent Chrome software upgrade.

I had real problems on SWMBO's netbook in a way that she couldn't view videos on some sites. I've sinced caved in an installed firefox on both her's and my laptop and all the problems that I was getting have all gone!!

Just a thought for what it's worth.....       :firefox: Do I like firefox? the jury's is still out.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Online Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »
Hello Jack,

Thanks for the reply.

Out of curiosity, is yours an HP machine? I did some internet-mining and eventually found this thread:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/q5wS3awLWpk

I did as they suggested and... success!! I now have Chrome back.

If you have an HP machine, I recommend it.

Cheers,

Chris
A man who works with his hands is a labourer. A man who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. A man who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist. - St Francis of Assisi.

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 06:35:54 PM »
It is great to hear you have found a fix for your problem with Chrome and thank you for posting the link so it may help others  :NGaugersRule:

cheers John.

Online Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 06:37:46 PM »
One of them is a HP unit, the other is a Toshiba. SWMBO unit is the HP and having spent so much time sorting it out and then re teaching her how to find things in Firefox, (IT for her is like a Dark Art!!  ::)  ), I'm inclined to leave along, but thanks for the heads up on the Chrome page.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £80.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
133% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal