How can I get rid of Smartbar?

Started by Papyrus, September 12, 2014, 09:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus

I'm getting plagued by random adverts from something called Smartbar which appear when I run the cursor over the screen. It's not just on the Forum, but other webpages as well, so I know it's something on my laptop, not the forum, so I assume it's some malware that's come in from somewhere. I'm also getting straplines from something called BWNtoday, but that isn't quite as intrusive. I've run my anti-virus program several times, and nothing appears on the uninstaller either, but it still keeps coming back. If it's relevant, my laptop runs on Vista. If any of you techy guys can suggest a solution I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Chris

Malc

Check the options menu in Internet Explorer - it will probably be in the toolbar options. I can't talk you through it as I am using a Mac. Alternatively, if nothing shows up there download and run Malawarebytes. It will root it out. There is another thread about this on the site.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Dorsetmike

I use Firefox with an add on called Ad block plus, that will sort out most of the ads, also look in your internet tools/options and block pop-ups, most browsers have that option.

With Ad block, when one of the annoying ads appears, on some browsers there will be a "Block" tab at top right of the ad, click on that then select the action you want form the window that appears, otherwise right click on the offending item and select the same window.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Bealman

I cop all this stuff on my Yahoo mail. Most of my NGF posts are done on my phone when I'm out and about here in Australia.... hence time diff.

I agree - when I get home to me computer, it is clogged full of adverts.

I think it's the price we pay... remember when we waited up for ITV to start?

Stayed up all night to watch the adverts!!!  :thumbsup:

I just ignore the ads, Malc.
George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

cjdodd

Go to

www.malwarebytes.org and download malwarebytes (it's free).

Let that update and then do a full scan on your PC. It will pickup and malware etc.. you have got on it and remove it for you.

Cheers
Chris

scotsoft

You could go into your Control Panel and select "Add/ Remove Programs".

Once your computer has generated a list of programs, have a look for the offending items and remove them.

It may take a few attempts but that should work  ;)

cheers John.

Papyrus

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I tried 'Add/Remove Programs', but it just didn't appear on the list, and Advanced System Care doesn't find it either, which is a bit unusual. However, I will try Malwarebytes tomorrow and report back.

Cheers,

Chris

trainsdownunder

Malwarebytes should remove it. Also look at Spybot - Search and destroy (freeware). Been using these two for ages and have had very few, if any, problems

Dorsetmike

I know Ad block plus will remove it, it appeared on my screen a couple of days ago, 2 clicks and gone for good.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Caz

It could be a browser "add on" or "extension", have a look in the browser options or settings for them and disable those you don't want and if they are really pesky uninstall them.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Papyrus

I can happily report that Malwarebytes does the business - Smartbar done gone! :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:

Thanks again to all of you who replied, especially FeelixTC and Chris Dodd who recommended it. You have the herolight on your brow. :D

Chris

cjdodd

Glad it's all sorted. Happy to help.

jonclox

Not smartbar but Ive been plagued by an unwanted program for several weeks now. None of my usal programs would remove it and I couldn't find it anywahere in programs  add/remove etc.
Ive just installed Malwarbyt and un it and problem solved/ vanished  :thumbsup:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

cjdodd

It worth doing just once a month, give your PC a scan with it, keep it all clean and tidy.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations