Scart cables on digi box

Started by petercharlesfagg, August 12, 2014, 04:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

Can someone explain why the Scart cables on our digi box come loose without us touching them and is there any way of holding them in?

They give us reall problems every so often especially when we need to video something, sometimes half way through a programme it appears that they loosen in the housing and we lose the rest of the programme!

I have tried purchasing new cabling but it works fine for about a week and then the same problem returns.

The digi box is on the floor so that the connecting Scart cable is not stressed!

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

scotsoft

How about trying to open the outside of the SCART plug using a pair of needle pliers Peter?

You would have to be careful and only prise open a short length at a time till it gets a better grip.

or

You could try tying a piece of string all the way round the digi box and capturing the SCART plug to hold it in or use strong gaffa tape to hold the SCART plug in.

A bit Heath Robinson but it might work.

cheers John.

Agrippa

I had a similar problem a while back, I had bought a Scart cable from
John Lewis and it was very thick and quite heavy and tended to pull itself
out of the socket by its own weight. I switched to a lighter cheaper cable
which stays put. I noticed that when dusting the tv stand or hoovering behind
it the slightest knock caused the heavier cable to become loose.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Newportnobby

I have had similar issues with the heavy ones so replaced them with the lighter version as mentioned above. There is also a knurled fitment on Scart leads behind the head which I believe tightens them up, Peter.

RussellH

Hi Peter

Look for "locking scart" on amazon. Check the reviews to ensure its a decent quality cable.

Cheap/bodge way is to deform the metal ring around the edge of the scart plug so its a tight fit.

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Malc

A couple of spots of hot glue used to hold my scarts in situ. Just a couple though, you might want to remove it one day.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

edwin_m

If the TV and digibox both have the appropriate plug a HDMI cable might be better than a SCART. 

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: edwin_m on August 13, 2014, 08:10:11 AM
If the TV and digibox both have the appropriate plug a HDMI cable might be better than a SCART.

If I knew what I was looking for it might help, there are several sockets for cables but they are not marked as HDMI as far as I can see?

Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

RussellH

Hi Peter,

Can you post a photo of the back of the TV and digibox concerned?

Will be able to see whats what etc

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

macwales

Hi

I have had this problem with every digi box I have had (several - over the years). In my cases they were all caused by the weight of the scart cables causing loose soldered connections on the soldered joints between the main integrated circuit board and the scart socket. You need to open up the digi box to see this.

The symtoms were at first erratic (could be cured by jiggling the cable) and got worse until complete failure  occurred. The weight of the cables causes flexing in the soldered joints and the solder eventually breaks.

Only permanent fix is to re-solder the joints. As this is a hassle requiring fine close up work I got rid of the boxes and bought new flat screen  tvs with digital tuners buit in!!

Cheers

Mac  :beers:

scotsoft

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on August 13, 2014, 08:48:37 AM

If I knew what I was looking for it might help, there are several sockets for cables but they are not marked as HDMI as far as I can see?

Peter.

This is what the HDMI socket looks like Peter  ;)

[smg id=14807 type=full align=center caption="hdmi socket"]

cheers John.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: scotsoft on August 13, 2014, 03:54:09 PM
Quote from: petercharlesfagg on August 13, 2014, 08:48:37 AM

Peter.

This is what the HDMI socket looks like Peter  ;)

[smg id=14807 type=full align=center caption="hdmi socket"]

cheers John.

Thankyou, no we do not have anything like this either on the TV or the digi box!

Peter.

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

We have decided to go down the least expensive route and use strong elastic bands!

Thankyou for all the helpful suggestions.

Peter and Susan.

scotsoft

Hello Peter,

I have just thought of something else you could try  :idea:

You could put a strip of tape along the metal top of the SCART plug and if that does not work add a second strip.

cheers John.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations