train sims

Started by bluedepot, September 17, 2011, 06:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim-pelican

Aside from the validation issues, Pendy, did you have any luck getting any games running with Parallels?  I have VirtualBox, which works fine for the simple stuff I need to run (mostly SCARM, PCRail and SimSig), but despite wasting many hours, I can't get its alleged 3D support going.

I actually own a copy of Railworks from my brief relapse into Windows (never again!), would be nice to have it working...

Pengi

Quote from: tim-pelican on June 09, 2012, 09:40:49 AM
Aside from the validation issues, Pendy, did you have any luck getting any games running with Parallels?  I have VirtualBox, which works fine for the simple stuff I need to run (mostly SCARM, PCRail and SimSig), but despite wasting many hours, I can't get its alleged 3D support going.

I actually own a copy of Railworks from my brief relapse into Windows (never again!), would be nice to have it working...
I was unable to get much running with Parallels even Civilisation 2 would not work!

Even if I use Bootcamp, I am still going to have to try and get Windows 7 loaded if I want to use Railworks (which I do because of that picture that Fratton posted).
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Fratton

i have to say that railworks is getting better and better, scenarios used to be very lonely places with no variety in AI trains but they have started to add different AI models (guess they didn't want to before because peeps turn them into drivable assets) and sites like http://www.rw-trainsim.co.uk and http://www.uktrainsim.com/ offering not only individual downloads but freeware packs and scenario packs to go with them,,,,
Charlie.

Bikeracer

Hi Pendy,

I use a Mac with OS Lion,if you've got a copy of windows 7 it will run in Bootcamp.
I use Windows 7 in Bootcamp,but it's not connected to internet so I don't have to install all the anti this and anti that software and wait while it installs the latest updates and bug fixes all the time.

I only got Windows 7 after I found out that OS Lion won't run XP in Bootcamp but I believe the prior OS would run XP,my only reason to use windows is that some of my software won't run on a Mac.
Getting a copy of windows worked out very little more than one of the emulators which very often still won't run some software.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Pengi

Quote from: Bikeracer on June 09, 2012, 12:57:13 PM
Hi Pendy,

I use a Mac with OS Lion,if you've got a copy of windows 7 it will run in Bootcamp.
I use Windows 7 in Bootcamp,but it's not connected to internet so I don't have to install all the anti this and anti that software and wait while it installs the latest updates and bug fixes all the time.

I only got Windows 7 after I found out that OS Lion won't run XP in Bootcamp but I believe the prior OS would run XP,my only reason to use windows is that some of my software won't run on a Mac.
Getting a copy of windows worked out very little more than one of the emulators which very often still won't run some software.

Allan

Thanks, will have a go with Bootcamp. When I was running Parallels, I didn't have it connected to the internet either to avoid all the anti-this and that stuff that you referred to

Bikeracer

You probably know that you will have to repartition the hard drive but that seemed very easy to me using a Mac,I had to do mine twice because I didn't allow enough room for the Microsoft bloatware the first time.
Save anything important first.
I like the Mac,it just seems a lot less hassle to set anything up and get it working than it does in windows.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

EtchedPixels

I'm still waiting for a nice train sim for the cheap Android tablets. The 85 quid one I've got can play doom and stuff so it ought to be able to run a trainsim 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

tgv_obsessed

Quote from: Pendy on June 09, 2012, 01:03:11 PM
Quote from: Bikeracer on June 09, 2012, 12:57:13 PM
Hi Pendy,

Allan

Thanks, will have a go with Bootcamp. When I was running Parallels, I didn't have it connected to the internet either to avoid all the anti-this and that stuff that you referred to

bootcamp is definately the way forward with this sort of software- running virtual machines like parallels is fine until you want to do something clever- like running a train simulator

i'm intrigued by your error message about an unauthorized version of windows, perhaps you've picked up a little virus type thing? as a mac user, i have not much good to say about microsoft, but i have found in the past that when issues like this arise then they are quite good about helping you- i mean the issue of the non authorised version of your windows
running in is so you get used to the noise, oops, to bed the gears down properly

Pengi

Quote from: tgv_obsessed on June 09, 2012, 07:02:08 PM

bootcamp is definately the way forward with this sort of software- running virtual machines like parallels is fine until you want to do something clever- like running a train simulator

i'm intrigued by your error message about an unauthorized version of windows, perhaps you've picked up a little virus type thing? as a mac user, i have not much good to say about microsoft, but i have found in the past that when issues like this arise then they are quite good about helping you- i mean the issue of the non authorised version of your windows

Thanks. Will give bootcamp a go. The unauthorised version of Windows message, which first appeared when I was upgrading Windows 7 to SP1 on my PC, was not a virus  (although I was worried about it at the time). It was the final straw and now I have hassle free computing using Macs - except when I have do deal with anything Microsoft related!

tgv_obsessed

of course the other thing is, and you notice this when you run macs with windows on them, is how expensive windows is!!!!
running in is so you get used to the noise, oops, to bed the gears down properly

Pengi

Is there anyone that has run Railworks via Bootcamp on a Mac?

drchips42

I have Trainz 2009 all those from 09 upwards are good. But dont expect wonderful graphics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations