Help plz

Started by TJLC8, August 03, 2014, 05:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I'd be tempted to run a twin track dog bone shaped layout as that would keep things relatively simple yet give you a 4 track through station to which you could add a goods yard and a fiddle yard for train storage. Sorry, I don't have an image to hand but hope you know what I mean :hmmm:

TJLC8

Thanks for giving the plans I'll check them

Cheers, TJLC8

TJLC8

Plans are forming in my head :)
How much room would I have for 4ft x 2ft scenic board + the two "bone ends" that would add 2ft on each end? I like the bone idea though :)

TJLC8

I'm pretty sure im all set but I would like to blog my progress. Can u do that on this website?
Btw my final plan is 3 tracks running in the dog bone shape but instead of 6 tracks shown 3 of them will be hidden by a hill with a rock cliff at the back if u see what I mean. Then at the end of the bone shape, in the middle of one end will be a track section like below:
_______
_______\_______

That means I can fit a GWR railcar and a 57xx with 2 coaches
The track then goes through to the scenic section where it will meet a branch terminus for the trains mentioned above but the station is also a double track mainline through station. Finally the top track will be the goods line which will run past the station at the top. The goods yard will be some exchange siding and a Metcalfe single track engine shed to 'home' the loco carrying the goods while the shunter sorts or exchanges the goods themselves. The dimensions are 6ft ft x 2 ft scenic section + 2x 2 ft x 1 ft at either end as the bone shape Hopefully I made sense xD i apologise if it doesn't :0. Finally i just thought i tell u my stock which will consist of:
GWR railcar for branch line terminus
A "hall" for one of the main lines
A prairie tank for one of the main lines
Two 57xx for shunting and branch line
I'm still debating why I want for the goods train loco but I think I'll go for the prairie tank again
Let me know if u think I need to alter things and if I can set up a blog
THANKS,
TJLC8

scotsoft

You can set up a thread in Layout Planning then when you have it all planned you can start a separate thread in Layout Construction.  That way you can post your ideas and people can post suggestions and hints.

Have you ever tried one of the many free layout software programs to help you design your layout?

cheers John.

TJLC8

I haven't actually but I will definitely use one now that you say it  is there any you would reccomend? I've heard of anyrail but is there any that are really easy and simple to use? Also make sure its free :D

scotsoft

There is one called SCARM that is entirely free and is very good.  Once you have planned your layout it will give you a 3D view of what you have planned.  You can add hills, tunnels, buildings etc.

Have a look here: http://www.scarm.info/blog/general/scarm-v-0-9-19-released/

cheers John.

TJLC8

Looks awesome but is it just for PC? I only have a mac

scotsoft

That is a hurdle I did not foresee  :'(

We do have some members who use a mac, I will make contact and ask for help there  ;)

cheers John.

TJLC8

scotsoft

I have sent a PM but they are offline at the moment, so I am afraid it is twiddle your thumbs time for a bit  :D

cheers John.

Tdm

Below is a snapshot of my small layout produced using "SCARM". The design allows me to run 3 trains at the same time as there are 3 main runaround tracks. Takes a bit of getting used to but Scarm is totally free and I am sure you would soon get the hang of it.

TJLC8

scotsoft

I have had a reply to my PM and Pengi suggests : http://www.railmodeller.com/

She says it may take a bit of getting used to but who does not like a challenge  :D

cheers John.

scotsoft

Quote from: Tdm on August 04, 2014, 06:42:35 PM
Below is a snapshot of my small layout produced using "SCARM". The design allows me to run 3 trains at the same time as there are 3 main runaround tracks. Takes a bit of getting used to but Scarm is totally free and I am sure you would soon get the hang of it.

Only problem is he is using a mac  :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations