Help plz

Started by TJLC8, August 03, 2014, 05:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJLC8

I have just started planning my n gauge railway which consists of 4 tracks. however, I am very new to this scale and in short i have no clue what I'm doing.
i have drawn up a track plan  and chosen my controller  (Morley Vortrak) but I need some help with a few things.
1. HOW DO I WIRE AN ELECTROFROG POINT! My primary concern is that I need a 57xx to run smoothly across points. If possible it needs to have little wiring and point motors which brings me on to my second subject..
2.With a point motor which would you recommend and how do i use it. I think the vortrak has an accessory output but I don't know how to wire it to a lever
3. The track plan involves tunnels at either end which I intend to custom build but how high do I need it to make sufficient clearance for most trains.
4. Code 55 or Code 80, Flexitrack or setrack (I would like as little fuss and wiring on track)
5. ...and finally I have a helix at each end so what degrees does it have to be angled at so that a standard GWR"hall" can pull 4-5 coaches.
thanx in advance :D

TJLC8

Sorry if i posted on the wrong topic or something this is my first post :(

Sprintex

Welcome in TLJC8 :wave:

Have moved this to a more general section for you as you're likely to get more replies :thumbsup:

Paul

NeMo

Others will doubtless answer your questions in more detail.

But let me just suggest you look at Kato track before doing anything else. If simplicity coupled with motorised electrofrog points is important, Kato Unitrack can be extremely helpful and cost effective.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

TJLC8

Thanks for the RE. I will look into the kato track but as I will need a fair amount of track won't it be quite expensive? Im trying to keep track price down to under £50 so I can have more money to spend on the trains themselves

d-a-n

This will probably come across the wrong way and I don't want to put you off but £50 would struggle to buy you a single oval of track and a passing loop with point motors, bearing in mind a set of points starts at around £8 or £9. Maybe put a track plan up, even if it's a drawing so we can offer assistance and price it up, maybe scale it back a bit.
As said before, Kato Unitrack is marginally more expensive than Peco code 80 but is a great place to start; http://www.traintrax.co.uk have a 10% off sale on Kato Unitrack at the moment.

TJLC8

ok I can't show you my exact plan as I am currently on holiday but I can have a go at drawing it from memory. The scenic section is 8ft by 1ft and there are three main tracks + small shunting yard and a branch terminus. Am I looking at about £100+ or more?

TJLC8

Also as I am far from expert and my design is probably quite poor (I will post it later tonight) if anyone could give examples of a simple shunting yard with operating potential that would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that I am using a DC system. Meanwhile I will start drawing the plan

Cheers, TJLC8

TJLC8

Ummmmmmm newbie alert but how do i add pics to posts... ?

Sprintex

There's a full tutorial in the "Help and FAQ" section, here's a link to it:-

Link

:thumbsup:

Paul

TJLC8

Does it have to be on a computer as I am currently on my iphone

:thankyousign:

TJLC8

Sprintex

Not necessarily, I've uploaded and posted photos from my Blackberry many times ;)

Paul

TJLC8

Im so lazy haha
I really don't have the time or patience to do all that photo stuff so this is what I came up with...

|-----(--------------------------------)-----|
|-----(--------------------------------)-----|
|      | <=========>                      |     
|      |       ===[--------------------)-----|
|____\_____________________/____|

<====>  =  STATION
-----(----   =  TUNNEL
----------   =  TRACK
######  =  GOODS YARD ( UNKNOWN DESIGN)
%%%%    = SIGNAL BOX

From top track: Goods line, Mainline, Mainline, Branch line

Board dimensions: 8ft x 1ft

THE ONLY TURNOUTS / POINTS ARE IN THE YARD

Hopefully that is enough info
Cheers, TJLC8

d-a-n

Is the board 8x1 for the scenic section or in total? I don't know if you'll need a helix - this will add expense and take up a lot of room as well as adding a great deal of compromise when it comes to the length of train you can run. Maybe a simple loop will suffice to send the train back round? Obviously, the loop (or helix) will take the width of the layout at either end out to at least 2ft wide, as well as adding at least another 2 foot to either end. This could be a good thing as it'll keep your scenic section down to around 3 1/2 - 4 foot which is much more manageable when it comes to landscaping!
Do you see the layout as an end to end type layout or one where you can leave trains running permanently? Also, do you want three or four trains to run on it one on the goods line, one on the branch and one or two on the main line?

TJLC8

I intend to run one train per line but honestly by the sound of things i need to revamp my design. If anyone has a simple 4 track design incorporating a station and some sort of shunting operation with a max size of 8ft by 4ft that would be awesome. I'll look at designs on the internet and btw thanks for the kato track idea i will probably purchase some track. Oh and also if u hadn't guessed already my era is somewhere in the GWR era

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations