Tom Tom Sat Nav Rip Off

Started by geoffc, February 09, 2021, 12:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoffc

I have a Tom Tom Sat Nav which was new 5 years ago, because of Covid I did not use it last year and did not update the maps. In the meanwhile I had a new SSD fitted to the computer and the Tom Tom My Drive software was not loaded on to it. Today I decided to load the software from the Tom Tom site but I could not, I was contacted by somebody from Zoho Assist who seem to be employed by Tom Tom. The upshot of a very long conversation was that as I had not updated the maps every 3 months  my account was closed and I would have to pay £96 to reinstate it. This was despite Tom Tom saying a lifetime of free maps, there was no mention that if you did not update 4 times a year your account would be closed and it would cost to reopen it. I had the same problem with Orange, if you did not use your pay as you go phone for a month, they took all your credit and you would have to top up again to use it, again no mention of this when you bought it. Is this the modern way of doing business, screw the punter for every penny you can?

Geoff

dannyboy

I would definitely seek advice Geoff - Consumer Protection people spring to mind.

Addit: Just got the following from t'internet -

Zoho Assist is cloud-based remote support and remote access software that helps you support customers from a distance through web-based, on-demand remote support sessions. Set up unattended remote access and manage remote PCs, laptops, mobile devices, and servers effortlessly.

Could well be genuine ......., but is there a direct way to contact Tom Tom?  :hmmm:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

2½ years ago I bought a TomTom satnag for my motorbike and within a year TomTom decided they were not going to support that model any further :veryangry:
They'd be quite happy if I bought a new one, I'll bet, but they can stick it where the sun don't shine.

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 09, 2021, 12:38:58 PM
2½ years ago I bought a TomTom satnag for my motorbike

Was the bike one horsepower Mick?    (Sorry, couldn't resist  ;)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

geoffc

Quote from: dannyboy on February 09, 2021, 12:37:47 PM
I would definitely seek advice Geoff - Consumer Protection people spring to mind.

Addit: Just got the following from t'internet -

Zoho Assist is cloud-based remote support and remote access software that helps you support customers from a distance through web-based, on-demand remote support sessions. Set up unattended remote access and manage remote PCs, laptops, mobile devices, and servers effortlessly.

Could well be genuine ......., but is there a direct way to contact Tom Tom?  :hmmm:

Unfortunately not their web site (tom tom) takes you to Zoho, there does not seem to be a direct link to tom tom itself.

Geoff

emjaybee

I tend to just use Google Maps on my smartphone. It's got a big screen, doesn't need a subscription, and if you 'run/plan/search' the route prior to setting off you don't need a mobile data connection.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

stevewalker

My Garmin Nuvi 610 is about 14 years old now. Still in use. I haven't updated the maps for about 18 months, but I've gone 2 or 3 years between updates with no problem before now. The difficulty is now that it is getting so old that getting the larger, more detailed maps in is getting harder and requiring spreading over from the internal map space to the SD card. Even then I can only fit the UK and Ireland in, when it used to be most of Europe too.

PLD

Just checked the TS&Cs for my TOMTOM (not used in 2++ years as the current car has nav built in.) It does say you need to log in to the account every 90 days to keep it active, (you don't need to download updates or do anything else) as they keep sending me offers (e.g. 10% off at Travelodge), that seems to have kept mine active...

ntpntpntp

A timely reminder thanks!   

I used to have a little Start 20 which did the job fine but got to the point where TT wouldn't support it  :(   

Bought myself a bigger posher one but I've only done 20 miles in the car since last March so it's not been needed at all.  I've just powered it up and set it off on a 9Gb update  :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

N_GaugeModeller

This is one of the big issues with these updates for life things, it's the company that sets the device lifetime, it's not based on the owners lifetime.  As soon as they decide to stop supporting your model, that's it lifetime ends.

I am on my third TomTom in about 10 years but will not be by trying another when the current one comes to the end of its supported life. Just don't like the way they work these days, their interface used to be one of the best, but nowadays it's quite horrible.

Ngm
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

jpendle

So I just got out my big can opener  :D

In this day and age why would you buy a Sat Nav rather than use an App on a smart phone?

It would never occur to me to buy a Sat Nav device.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

emjaybee

Quote from: jpendle on February 09, 2021, 05:32:49 PM
So I just got out my big can opener  :D

In this day and age why would you buy a Sat Nav rather than use an App on a smart phone?

It would never occur to me to buy a Sat Nav device.

Regards,

John P

I'm with you. My Samsung Galaxy gets me anywhere in the UK, and Europe, and also the USA. It got us from Denver up through Yellowstone, across a very convoluted (planned) cross country route to Seattle.
Brookline build thread:

ntpntpntp

Meh.   Why would I want to have a smart phone?   I've no interest at all in constantly checking Facebook every 30 seconds on a weedy little screen. A mobile phone is for talking to people and maybe text messages at a push. I might use it once or twice a month for that. I'll use a real computer for internet and email etc., and a proper camera for taking piccies  :D

I would never  buy a smart phone by choice.  I may end up being forced to have one but until then I shall hold out as long as possible...

Oh and I'm not a complete luddite, I'm a full time IT professional and software developer  :)   I just hate the whole concept of smart phones and how people can't put the damn things down, have to have the latest model etc.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

emjaybee

I'm not on Farcebook, Twatter, Whatsupp, TwitTwot, or any of them.

I wouldn't spend £200+ on a SatNav to use twice a year, for instance. But I can email while I'm out at work, buy materials from my van, source suppliers etc. Oh, and talk to you lot.

:D
Brookline build thread:

littlegs

I agree with ntpntpntp. I have a smart phone which I normally use once a day (Currently Furloughed) to phone the wife in the evening whilst at work. So that is 4 times a week.
But I need a Satnav in my truck to navigate around the country so I update it every couple of months
Regards Chris

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations