Moon landing - 50 years

Started by Bealman, July 11, 2019, 07:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

In relation to earlier posts about the Apollo Guidance Computer, this old video shows just how primitive, but at the same time ingenious, it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIBhPsyYCiM

The video also reminds us of the thousands of people who made it possible. Those ladies in the film played a vital part in the assembly of one of the most important elements of the spacecraft!

How cool is that?

Hand sewn ferrite core memory! Amazing.  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NTrain

We had our first colour TV, just in time to watch the launch of Apollo 11. I remember being very exited and worried that it would not arrive in time.....

Bealman

Unfortunately the moon camera was B&W.... so I guess it wouldn't have mattered if it hadn't  ;)

broadsword

Re earlier posts (put my science teachers hat on )  mass increases with velocity, that's why
in outer space if you are hit by a small particle of dust travelling at 20, 000 km /hour it's
like being hit by a 15 inch shell. On a smaller scale it's sore being hit by a driven golf ball,
same principle just slower. As everyone knows no man made object can reach the speed of light
as the mass would increase to infinity. (Rules of physics don't apply in scifi movies) or Sigourney
Weaver and the ship's cat  would be about 10 million years old by the time they encountered
the alien..............

stevewalker

No mass stays constant (as far as we are concerned, with the sort of speeds that matter to us), it is the momentum and the kinetic energy that increase with velocity - and therefore the force of impact when it has to decelerate suddenly.

Yes, in reality, mass does increase with velocity, but not in any way noticeable at the speeds that we can actually achieve. It only matters at significant fractions of the speed of light - the closer you get, the more massive you become and so need more power to continue to accelerate ... hence the speed of light being an absolute limit.

stevewalker

As for faster than light travel. There was some debate a few years ago when a scientist showed that a warp field (as used in Star-trek) was theoretically possible, but not practically, as it would take more than all the energy in the universe to create one big enough for a space-ship. A week later someone else pointed out that as it is a field warping space, there is nothing to say that it needs to be that big on the outside! Who knows what may be possible!

broadsword

A few nights ago there was a tv programme  with nuts who claimed the moon landings were hoaxes,
their daft arguments were demolished easily by various experts. One aspect was that the Russians
were spying on NASA technology and if the moon landings were hoaxes they would have blown it.
However one of the conspiracy nuts said the Russians knew it but couldn't prove it,( having your
cake and eating it). Reminds me of another nitwit who claimed the Titanic which sank had been
switched with another ship, now just off to go for a drink with Lord Lucan and Glenn Miller.

themadhippy

freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Webbo

An earlier post on this thread alluded to the movie called the Dish which was about the machinations surrounding the receipt of the first vision signals from Armstrong landing on the Moon. As the Dish tells the story it was the radio telescope at Parkes, NSW, Australia that received the first images from the Moon. Except this is factually incorrect as it was a dish at Honeysuckle Creek 3/4 of an hour's drive from us in Canberra that received the vision of Armstrong stepping onto the Moon. Today this dish (DSS 46) has been moved to the Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex Deep Space Tracking station at Tidbinbilla a few kilometers away where another dish was used at the time for tracking the lunar module. https://www.cdscc.nasa.gov/ . DSS 46 is still at Tidbinbilla, but the installation at Honeysuckle Creek has been completely dismantled except for some information signs. I paid it a visit a couple of days ago.

Webbo

Bealman

Quote from: themadhippy on July 17, 2019, 03:54:04 PM
relive the whole mission
https://apolloinrealtime.org

Same link in post#1  :thumbsup:

That's a cool link to the Canberra stuff, Ian!  :beers:

rogerdB

Quote from: broadsword on July 17, 2019, 03:18:19 PM
A few nights ago there was a tv programme  with nuts who claimed the moon landings were hoaxes,
their daft arguments were demolished easily by various experts.

There's an interview with Armstrong on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJzOIh2eHqQ

About 39 minutes in there's a split screen sequence which shows the familiar footage shot from the descending LEM on one side with footage from Google Moon tracking across the same area. The match is perfect, except at the end of the sequence there's an object in the Google sequence which is not in the LEM's - presumably the descent stage of the LEM itself. It's worth watching the whole interview.

Bealman

Just took a look at that. Chuffed it was in Australia!

I think you're right about the Google bit, Roger. They appear to have put the lem on the surface.  :thumbsup:

crewearpley40

science eh ? what an achievement .....

well last night ....

Karina Canellakis made history, as the first woman to conduct the First Night of the BBC Proms.   Her opening night kicked off with a complex, layered new work by Canadian composer Zosha Di Castri.

Long Is the Journey - Short Is the Memory was commissioned to mark the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing, and explored everything from the dark, brooding exploration of space to man's first weightless steps on the lunar surface.

Di Castri managed to convey the eerie loneliness of that first moonwalk in a section where the orchestra rubbed together paper bags, blew compressed air into milk bottles, and scraped tuning keys across harp strings, while a lone oboe represented the awestruck wonder of astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong.

The chorus, meanwhile, sang an evocative text by Chinese-British author Xiaolu Guo: "We stepped out and bounced, skipped, swang wide, set the flag on the silent lunar surface."

Researching the piece left a major impression on the composer, who had never before considered the monumental human effort behind the Moon landings.

sure to look out for the recording if that interested but i just switched on the radio, twiddled knobs and what ? i said ....

sounded interesting !!!!! if  a recording is found later will try and put a snippet

so i had to check the www.bbc.co.uk

Bealman

crewearpley40

Sorry unsure what i should quote just interesting bit  of music and i like the proms. And the moon landings are part  of history i guess

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations