N gauge cattle wagons

Started by exmouthcraig, October 13, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

:confusedsign: I know it doesn't take much!!

I've had 3 sets of graham farish cattle wagons (triple packs) and a good 40 Peco versions for a while, with far too many bits and pieces cluttering up the bench it was time to start working through the backlog.

The peco ones I needed to paint the insides of a few as they were white, the quite obvious over scale bar in the open section needed to be painted black and rather then renumbering all of them I'll cheat and give a good dusting of weathering to save me a ton of hard work.

But as far as I know these wagons were built as 8T and 12T examples but the only difference was the roof profile. Theres probably lots more to it but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

So.....

Why on earth is the GF wagon SO much bigger than the Peco one??

It's not a problem because I wont ever run all 51 together but when the GF ones are in the box it just stands out so are the GF ones correct and Peco have just done the usual and made them fit???

emjaybee

Erm...

...for bigger cows?

:dunce:

{No idea!}
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

PLD

The recent Farish version is an accurate model of the BR design (itself based on the later LMS design with a few GW bits thrown in). The Peco model is 'adjusted' to fit their standard 10ft wheelbase chassis and most closely resembles earlier GW or NER designs.

martyn

Craig;

This is a little bit of background info; it may help you to look for more;

http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/7-fops/fo-cattle.htm

Martyn

exmouthcraig

Thanks chaps  :thankyousign:

I thought the peco ones would be the same story as their Fish Van's but at 1/3 of the price of GF I could never afford to put 50 of theirs on the layout.

Whilst looking into weathering these, obviously being fully fitted and XP rated they had vacuum pipes, the GF has them from the factory as its 3x the price so I've raided my parts box and managed to collect 16 pairs from some NGS kits BUT short of making another 30 pairs from wire is there anywhere I can buy plastic versions (like the NGS kits) ?????

Idont feel they warrant brass vacuum pipes but will at least make them look a bit more prototypical. I guess the cylinder part sits in the same position under the chassis as NGS recommend on the kit instructions????

emjaybee

I've just had a look through a LMS wagon book, and there's at least half a dozen similar but different cattle wagon designs in there.

Plenty of scope for different sizes!
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

exmouthcraig

Indeed, I'm quite sure as there haven't been more then single figures of RTR cattle wagons in the last 50years mine are at least the same as everyone elses.

And if the only thing someone can complain about is my wrong sized cattle wagons, I'll take that  :D

PLD

Quote from: exmouthcraig on October 13, 2019, 09:31:28 PM
Indeed, I'm quite sure as there haven't been more then single figures of RTR cattle wagons in the last 50years mine are at least the same as everyone elses.
Indeed...
If you are looking for variety, in your cattle wagons you need to look to kit building, and in many cases the second hand market...  :(

Precursor Models made a very nice and easy to assemble model of a 1920s/30s LMS cattle wagon (Plastic body on a brass chassis) - often wonder what happened to them??
Graham Hughes made a number of pre-grouping types, mostly Scottish or Northern English companies (white metal - very tidy castings but heavy so you wouldn't want more than a couple in the train!)

There's also a few Etched brass kits been done over the years (possibly 2mm Society??)

RailGooner

Quote from: exmouthcraig on October 13, 2019, 07:27:21 PM
is there anywhere I can buy plastic versions (like the NGS kits) ?????

:hmmm: DCC Supplies do Dapol M7 vac pipes.

Railwaygun

You will need some of these as well

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

exmouthcraig

I think the calf floats would be a quality addition to the station scene.

Thanks @RailGooner I need some bits from DCC supplies so will have a gander

belstone

The old Poole Farish cattle van was based on an LMS design which lasted in service into the 1960s.  Like the Peco version it is too short, but not a bad body moulding for 1971.

Richard

twinklekev

The Peco cattle wagon most closely resembles a GWR W12 Mex B (see the copious tome by Tourret et al for details). If you've got any in GW livery then they should all be vacuum fitted and have tie bars on the axles. Same for BR livery. Any other livery is Peco being economical with the truth shall I say  :D

The 2mmFS fraternity have a greater selection in plastic on brass chassis and also in etched brass; but of course you have to be a member.

Then there's those already mentioned; but you've got to find them first (good luck with that!). Hope this helps a little.

Twinklekev

exmouthcraig

Thanks Kev, I've started fitting vacuum pipes and seen tie bars in some pictures and on some models but not on others.

I'm not unhappy with the peco ones so will compromise and fit vacuum pipes and tie bars, they are all in BR bauxite so that will be good enough for me.

The Q

Quote from: exmouthcraig on October 13, 2019, 07:27:21 PM

Whilst looking into weathering these, obviously being fully fitted and XP rated they had vacuum pipes, the GF has them from the factory as its 3x the price so I've raided my parts box and managed to collect 16 pairs from some NGS kits BUT short of making another 30 pairs from wire is there anywhere I can buy plastic versions (like the NGS kits) ?????

Just remember Lime wash was banned in 1927...I bought a set of cheap BR cattle wagons that some one had lime washed, great fun getting rid of it all..

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations